Air Compressor feedback needed

Maymyvetteliveforever

Anyone own, use or have any thoughts on this compressor? Is there any limitations on it such as not good for impact guns, painting, sandblasting etc.

What are your thoughts?

vs5027.jpg

Category Electric
Oil Type Oil Lubricated
Peak HP 5.0
Running HP 2.0
SCFM at 40 PSI 6.5
SCFM at 90 PSI 5.7
Tank Size 2.6, 26
Theme Air Tools & Compressors
Voltage 120, 240

Rugged and quiet 100% cast iron pump
26 gallons of air with 6.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI
120/240 voltage capability
125 maximum PSI level
Two year warranty

Check the tools you will be using, I would say that it would be maginal for air ratchets/impacts, borderline for painting small thisngs and not enough for sandblasting. I have a Light duty 5 hp with a 60 gal tank and I have to wait for it when using my blast cabinet

Steve

LIke above says, it depends......

for painting, just a line dryer is good, and most air tools will be fine....I have one near that spec and my 1/2" Ingersoll impact is happy, you will run that thing off 220 or die....period....

I would stay away from the 'oil less' compressors, those things are louder than most airbases, you WILL be hating life with one....they will destroy your hearing...

the one pictured looks like mine, but I have a horizontal tank from HD....it works well enough....

Anyone own, use or have any thoughts on this compressor? Is there any limitations on it such as not good for impact guns, painting, sandblasting etc.

What are your thoughts?

vs5027.jpg

Category Electric
Oil Type Oil Lubricated
Peak HP 5.0
Running HP 2.0
SCFM at 40 PSI 6.5
SCFM at 90 PSI 5.7
Tank Size 2.6, 26
Theme Air Tools & Compressors
Voltage 120, 240

Rugged and quiet 100% cast iron pump
26 gallons of air with 6.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI
120/240 voltage capability
125 maximum PSI level
Two year warranty

Go bigger if you can.

Danny

After reviewing replies I've decided to pass on it. At present my Sears is rated for 8.2 S.C.F.M @90 psi and 10.0 S.C.F.M. @ 40 psi so I would be reducing available pressure. Problem is it's on it's last leg and I'm on the lookout for a replacement, you know.......that amazing deal.

After reviewing replies I've decided to pass on it. At present my Sears is rated for 8.2 S.C.F.M @90 psi and 10.0 S.C.F.M. @ 40 psi so I would be reducing available pressure. Problem is it's on it's last leg and I'm on the lookout for a replacement, you know.......that amazing deal.

What is the matter with your compressor,?? make sure you clean the air filter on the input, you know.....just like a CAR, unlike a buddy up the road when his MONSTER died, he was ready to ditch it, then another guy suggested to clean it, and so the pressure came back instantly....Herschel says it hadn't been cleaned in FORTY years....:harhar:

check the oil too, and look at the belt see it's not slipping....I had to change the regulator on my Loews Despot cheepie....30 bux...woopie doo...

That peak hp is a bunch of :bs: A lot of misleading ratings on compressors.
A true 5 hp compressor will give you close to a real 17 scfm @ 100psi.
They will also have pressure oiling instead of splash and preferrably be a v design for optimal cooling. They will also have low rpm's like in the 600 or 700 range and thus be very quiet. The rpm is your best clue for quality and performance. Those are the ones that last. Mine was built in 1965 and has triple belts.

A friend of mine just sold an Ingersol 5 hp for 700 bucks on ebay, that he paid over 3 grand for about a year and a half ago. Closing his shop and the best he could get.

If you have the time, a used industrial grade is a better choice, depending of course on your needs.

This is what I bought: under $400 with a 10% off coupon

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

painted two cars with this compressor, three years old, no complaints....
Same basic one I have. Been using it for a little over 6 years. Its great for mechanical work, a light when using a die grinder, and not really enough when doing body work, but I make do with it ok. Hopefully someday I can buy a second and run them together.

Very good compressor for the money in my opinion.

Plumb and wire them in together so they will run at the same time when I am using a lot of air. Like when sandblasting.