Jed's Clamper and electricals, Qjets, etc.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Some of you maybe know that wife Linda bought a FORTY yes 40, year old camper van...a chebby van 30 dualie with a 14' aluminum camper on it with a cap over sleeper....the thing is 90" wide....

so the obvious is true for 200 bux, it's going to need work, and since I"m retarreded she puts me to work....

the engine is looking really grand inside, hope it's alright, but it runs smooth, starts fine, don't seem to smoke, and it's clean as a brand new engine inside...cooling passages and under the valve covers, which leaked like MAD...the thing got headers on it, damnit...dual exhaust too...:rofl:

SO, obviously the silly electricals are a fucking NITEMARE FROM HELL.....makes a big cat attack loook nice and neat.....

been here parked a month+ now and what with other projects, the silly thing is very slowly granny, very slowly getting redone....it's not going to be pretty one damn bit, just run good....and be reliable....

so for the obligatory pix.....you all gong to laugh at my distribution block, Dodge van a/c comp, Cs144 alt on the modded mounts, aftermarket a/c,

still need to get it on the road again, drove it here though.....tons of electricals, literally the whole damn thing...miss nothing, just like my vette some 7 years ago....

so for a sense of humor....look....

Attachments

• camper wiring 1.jpg
    camper wiring 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
  • camper wiring 2.jpg
    camper wiring 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 53
when you said we'd laugh at your distribution block I really took no note of the comment...Until I clicked on the first pic:rofl:

It IS temporary right? It'll be fine if permanent IF you add some doubled lock nuts so the wood is not part of the electrical clamping force...

:shocking:

Well, some of you may know, I am a proud junkyard hotrodder for some 1/2 a century now....and about Jed's Clamper, so to continue the tradition yet another light hearted trip to the yard this morning, in the vette, with top down bucket of tools and looking for headlight mount/trim rings, and a decent a/c condenser to fit.....found both of them...

SO on that nice leisurely trip, what do I find?? TWO wonderful vans...
a chebby van 30 plumber's truck...with the 8 lug disc brakes and wheels, and right next to it...a Dodge with two nearly NEW tires on the front...all mounted and balanced and somehow using Chebby rims on it....

SO, I grabbed the rotors tires/rims off the chebby van, and the tires off the Dodge van...chebby rims....

so two trips to the junkyard and about 800 lbs of shit, and NO help, except the forklift to get the van in the air for the wheels....which I loaded on a cart to wheel across maybe 1/8 mile of Florida HOT sand .....

I got the whole mess for....

a GRAND TOTAL of 80 bux.....go find it online or in hell and it's about 600 bux MIN for what I have....

so to continue building Jed's Clamper...

I died about 4 pm today, this is my ghost, some of you will be elated, for sure, but I WILL come by and haunt your asses....forever.....

(old g/f line from WAY back).....

:gurney::gurney:

i saw some stuff today at the auto parts store you can use.....is spray on duct tape.......yes its in an aerosol can and it sprays out gray and feels like duct tape its guaranteed to stop low pressure leaks....i am sure you can find a use for it in jeds clamper

Last edited:
i saw some stuff today at the auto parts store you can use.....is spray on duct tape.......yes its in an aerosol can and it sprays out gray and feels like duct tape its guaranteed to stop low pressure leaks....i am sure you can find a use for it in jeds clamper

HUmm....wonder if it will work for a/c fix-em-ups???:harhar::beer:

Took it easy today, got the headlight mechanicals and shit sorted out, and rebuilt the tail light assy's...about 1/2 of the OEM bulb sockets survived, believe it or not....we USED to make good shit in this country....

:beer:

4 DOOR hinges, how many friggin' ways to make a simple pimple DOOR hings....and that PIN had to center punch and drill the sob outta there on the drill press, talk about a PIA....

:smash::cussing::cussing:

Good luck resurrecting Jed's Clamper! It appears you have a vision and a handle on what needs doing.

:shocking: I dunno vision from nitemare anymore.....but the dash is back in, steering wheel back in position, seems the gas tank is welded now, he put in a 1/4 steel 6" sq plate in the bottom, rust THAT, damnit....so to pressure test it tonight, and install tmrw....80% rain chance, should be fun....

got the 2 new roof cap/vents, so to get them in there, PIA, they used roofing tar around the ones on there now....nitwits...roofing tar on a fucking fiberglass roof... lovely....

the a/c holds air pressure for several hours, so no leaks in the system....

engine runs like a charm, with that Qj that's been hanging on the wall for about 20 years or so....Lars don't think much of it being a Carter Qj but it has a brass float in it.... gotta go through all the fuel tank changeover valve wiring, and pusher pump wiring too, funny about that, the same little pump I used to use for transferring fuel from a large chebby van into a 33 mpg import during the Sha fuel crunch '79-80....is the one they used here in this camper....some things never change, they just come back to haunt me.....

:gurney:

Need get the new struts in back of the Miata, tmrw if it rains...good garage project....

computer is not locking the 200 in the vette, it does lock with manual control lockup though....another little fix it....

:shocking::shocking:

HEhehehe...snicker, Jed's Clamper built by GM, Ford and Chrysler....

seems the tires I got from a buddy up north, fit the rear rims just fine on the outside single piece rims, but turns out the INNER rims were those 2-3 piece POS things requiring a inner tube....so being tubeless and NO ONE locally to do the work on them 'suicide' rims....I figgered I better get two more identical rims and so after FOUR junkyard trips back and forth to the tire store getting all that shit figgered out, and mounted....I got to fitting them all up....the GM drums would NOT FIT the outer rims, inner and outer supposed to be identical...well they ARE, NOW....but not over those old brake drums...so to the junkyard and two FORD drums later for a test...same bolt pattern....I got it all fitted up and it should be fine....

NOW to the junkyard once again, and get the FORD backing plates and hardware for the drum brakes.....naturally GM used 13x2.5" shoes...the FORD used 12x3" shoes....long as the backing plate is not stupid or something, I can use the FORD backing plate....

I figger it's all made by Dana/Eaton anyway....

:thumbs::devil:

I WILL WIN, damnit....

:tth: Amazing what bored old retarred guys can get into....

:surrender:

its gonna be like that jonny cash song, about that guy who workded on the auto line......"i got a 55,56,57,58.59 ......"

its gonna be like that jonny cash song, about that guy who workded on the auto line......"i got a 55,56,57,58.59 ......"

Nah, a '70 chebby with '89 Ford, and 92 Dodge parts on it....

I about 95% convinced them Ford backing plates going to work on this rig....

have to get into it sometime this week....got the plates though....and a first test fit..

:bonkers::waxer::hissyfit:

Work on the roof, changing skylights.....wife was helping....

SO......She is #ONE Go-Fer.......

Attachments

• #1 Go-Fer.JPG
    #1 Go-Fer.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Go-fer2.JPG
    Go-fer2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 14

Don't tease Gene like that!!!!:rofl:

If there were cliffs in Florida, he might have Jed's Clamper headed for one some days!!

Don't tease Gene like that!!!!:rofl:

If there were cliffs in Florida, he might have Jed's Clamper headed for one some days!!

Hey, tmrw is the test drive, up/down the street here, need test/set/bed the brakes and figger out who's home.....as you know, I live on one of the taller hills in Florida....:harhar::sweat::D