Poly vs Rubber?

elevatordude

OK whats best for the body bushing and the control arms? ...pros vs cons.

Also I heard that the easy way of getting to old ones out of the control arms is to use a torch and melt them is this correct?

thanks in advance
Ray

I see from your profile you have a 69. That should have the solid aluminum body mounts. The rubber (1973-up) mounts are a little thicker than yours so it will raise the body up about 3/8 inch (from what I have heard).

I have a set of rubber mounts for a 1955-7 Chevy. They look like they will work and are about the same thickness as the solid 68-72. You will have to buy new or re-use your old bolts.

There was the aluminum pucks there ...well there was only one that was intact and i have seen people use the rubber body mount I'm just wondering whats best?

and yes it is a 69 in 432 pieces

Anything thicker than what you removed from the car will raise the body. Rubber is going to compress under the body's weight and the bolt torque so it's a little more difficult to predict how much it's going to raise the body.... poly or rubber seems to be much softer (smoother ride) than aluminum pucks.
If you drove the car before you took it apart and if you were happy with the ride I'd just re-install aluminum. If you want it smoother/quieter then install rubber.... poly seems to be a good compromise between rubber and aluminum.

Poly is not all that great for the rear control arms (rotation or twist of the control arm - toe and camber changes during suspension travel), for the front arms it's fine.

Front control arms: yes... the easiest way is to simply burn the old bushings.... it stinks so do it outside.... holesaw works too....

good luck :thumbs:

Last edited:
beautiful ...thanks guys. I now have my Wednesday night project I'll try burning them out and a hole saw to see what worked best.

Thanks again
Ray

I have to agree. Use poly on the a-arms, and use blue loctite on the bolts. I have poly on the rear radius arms. Never again. Rubber next time. :wink:

Don't want to highjack here, but this brings an interesting question to mind. Can you use the aluminum pucks instead of the rubber in 73 and newer cars? Seems like it would be a good way to stiffen things up more.

Don't want to highjack here, but this brings an interesting question to mind. Can you use the aluminum pucks instead of the rubber in 73 and newer cars? Seems like it would be a good way to stiffen things up more.

I guess you could but it might be a little too much. Many who replaced aluminum with poly or rubber are happy with the "softer" ride. When I replaced the rubber mounts on my '79 with poly I noticed quiet a difference. The old rubber mounts were worn so that might be why it was so noticeable...