Unexplained-

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Weird stuff happening. On the 77 Coupe. dash lights would dim and get bright on their own (new headlight switch), gauges got a little intermittent, "Gen" light would come on and go off, temp gauge was all over, and the oil pressure gauge had the shakes. The other day, all the gauges (including the Tach) died. Running fine down the highway, Gen light on, no gauges. Alternator was charging good. I figured it for a ground problem, so I start digging up all the ground points. All good. Looking a the schematics and troubleshooting stuff in the manuals, there's a common ground in the harness. In the factory harness, it's right over the Tach, all neatly taped and tucked in. Xacto knife and some surgery and found it. Looked like when they assembled the harness some 35 years ago they crimped a sleeve over all 12 wires and then soldered it. But they didn't get it hot enough to cook all the flux out. Cut the whole thing out and did a multiple splice using some splice caps. Crimped those and soldered them all together. Everything works- Oil pressure gauge even lost it's shakes.

If someone gets an oddball problem, that might be a place to go look.

As I was reading that, the first thing in my mind was GROUND, you have a dirty ground somewhere, some how.....but I new you no that, same old story....

:3rd::nuts:

Yep- it was a ground. First time I've ever seen a problem in a harness- usually it's the ground point at the left side of the dash. Dirty, rusty, loose or something. This one was internal to the harness.