MSD help

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Hey guys, I'm going to show my general lack of understanding here.
I got an MSD 5200 box in the '75 vette I parted out last year. I'm reading the installation instructions on the MSD website and it says, "The MSD 5 (p/n 5200) cannot be triggered by a magnetic pickup". Now here's where I sound rookie. Is either Pertronix or HEI considered magnetic pickup?
BTW, here's the MSD instructions: http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/Ignitions/5200.pdf?terms=5200

HEI is magnetic....that pointed wheel/star under the rotor head plate there....and the points on the magnet setup that it spins by....there is a white but typically yellowed coil with white and green wires going to the module....

I dunno jack about pertronics...

:clobbered:

I've read that. I got an MSD dizzy for Ol' Red- the lower bushing on the factory TI was way past bad. I read the instructions- "Must be used with an MSD 6,6AL, or 7AL box". Curious sort that I am, I checked the output of the TI with a millivolt meter- the MSD actually has about the same output as GM TI. Hooked it up to the Summit box and it works fine. I strongly suspect it's to sell more MSD parts. DOn't know about the box you have, but if it has the capability to operate from a mag pickup, the HEI should trigger it fine.

I would suggest carring some type of backup- guys with MSD boxes seem to have to walk home quite a bit more than others.

I just looked at the link you posted- the mag pickup boxes have a green/purple pair of wires for the mag pickup and a single wire for everything else.

Last edited:
I default to Lars. Other than helping Nascar engines idle better, I see them as a liability rather than an asset. Therefore, I just don't mess with them.

I default to Lars. Other than helping Nascar engines idle better, I see them as a liability rather than an asset. Therefore, I just don't mess with them.

Years ago I had a rich running Qjet and the MSD did help the idle quite a bit, when getting one of the carbs rebuilt properly, the use of the MSD made no noticeable difference in the idle or running....

same with FI, no difference on the '87 vette at all, so I took it back off,

:(

I would suggest carring some type of backup- guys with MSD boxes seem to have to walk home quite a bit more than others.

Tell me about it, and here I thought I was buying the best in ignition, turns out all I got was a shiney new billet aluminum paperweight with a good coil.:rolleyes: