Replacing rubber a-arms bushings

pcf_mark

I have done this a half dozen times with polyurethane. I am using rubber on a stock car and I have never done these! I have a press and can make whatever I need. But I have also seen it done where a guy used an air chisel on the edges of the steel bushing liner and blew the out. Any secrets you guys want to share? Everything else on the front end is Corvette 101.

When I did the uppers on the 69, I stuck a flat bit in the air chisel and they came right out. The lowers were less fun. Watch that you don't squeeze the "legs" on the lowers together in the press.

When I did the uppers on the 69, I stuck a flat bit in the air chisel and they came right out. The lowers were less fun. Watch that you don't squeeze the "legs" on the lowers together in the press.

I take a piece of angle iron and trim it to fit in there to hold the legs apart....

I maybe even still have the ones around, but that's a tad much after 15 years, ya think???:hissyfit::smash::eek:

Sorry for going off topic but anyone know off hand what the torque setting is for retightning the control arm bolts, both upper and lower?

Well I don't have a press or an air chisel and I've seen bad results from ham-handed use of one, so this is how I did mine in my garage. It may take a bit longer, but I usually am in the midnite zen state of mind when I do these types of things so I don't mind.

Use a hole saw without the pilot bit in your hand drill to drill/saw out the rubber. Work it around till enough rubber is gone to remove the shaft.

Use a cold chisel to split the inner (shaft) sleeve at the seam, spread it by tapping a screwdriver in till it comes off.

Using a hacksaw (or a sawzall carefully) on the inside of the outer sleeve, cut two grooves opposite each other almost through the sleeve, but don't get into the a-arm. Then cut a slot in the flange, all the way through, at each groove.

Take your cold chisel (on the outside) at a groove and collapse the sleeve in on itself till it comes out.

Clean the shaft ends with emory cloth (or similar). I put anti-sieze on mine, I'll let others argue the merits of that. Run a flapper wheel lightly through the a-arm holes, just enough to clean & smooth them. You don't want to remove any metal. Check for & remove any burrs & dings caused by the knucklehead who used an air chisel to do the job last time. You may need to do some judicious filing and hammerwork to get them concentric & true again.

Find some kind of spacer to fit inside the a-arm flange/channel so you won't tweek it when tapping in the new bushings. I used metal blocks I have with some shimmage, but even a piece of wood would probably work. It needs to be a snug fit. You also need some blocks under the arm to pound against for the same reason. A really big socket works well here.

Find a suitable driver, I used another large socket. I ground it flat on the face for good flat contact on the flange only. It must lay on the flange without hitting the rubber.

Take your bushing out of the freezer, give it a light smear of grease. Put a light smear inside the a-arm hole as well.

Use a heavy hammer, I have a real nice 3 lb hand sledge, to tap the bushings in. Tap--firmly, but don't wail on it. They'll go in nicely. 3, 4, 5 smacks.

It helps to have an extra set of hands to support the assembly while you are tapping them in.

Be sure you don't forget to install the shaft before you do the second one, and be sure you have it in correctly!!!!

I did all eight of mine in two hours this way, and it was the first time I had ever done this job.

And lastly but very importantly, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE NUTS until the full weight of the car is on the suspension. Once the car is settled, I believe the torque is 50 pounds--but you better verify that, it's been a long time.

John

(And if you decide you want to paint the a-arms "while you're at it," use POR 15, it's the only thing worth using here. I wish I had.)

Last edited:
Sorry for going off topic but anyone know off hand what the torque setting is for retightning the control arm bolts, both upper and lower?

Ball joint stud nuts upper 50'lbs
Ball joint stud nuts lower 80'lbs
Steer arm nuts 70'lbs
Control arm pivot to frame upper 50'lbs
Control arm lower cross shaft to frame 50'lbs
Shock absorber fasteners upper 90"lbs
Shock absorber fasteners lower 150"lbs
Sway bar link nuts 18'lbs
Sway bar mounting bracket bolts 120"lbs
Lower control arm shaft to crossmember front 70'lbs
Lower control arm shaft to crossmember rear 95'lbs
Caliper mounting bolts 70'lbs

I had my nutz come out with urethane bushings, only car that ever did that to me, imagine my shock when removing that A6 and seeing that bolt just hanging there 1/2 way out.....Locktite red, come out NOW you SOB POS.....

:toothbrush:

If I may ask another question and again sorry to pcf_mark.

Anyone know what size and grade the lower A-arm bolt is. I lost two when redoing the bushings and the rest are a bit worn so I'll like to replace them.

Thanks.

Thanks everybody! Jphil - I have used that method and it works but I only tried it for urethane. Thanks for writing it up so well. Any comments on grease for these? Rubber and grease usually end up not working out because it shortens the life. Squeaks really suck so I am open to some good advice here!

I have a complete step-by-step paper on how to do the front end rebuild and bushing replacement. For a copy, drop me an e-mail request:
[email protected]
Lars

Thanks Lars - the tip with the razor knife is a piece of knowledge that makes the difference beteween all day and 15 minutes!

I love that the tool list includes bad aids!

I got them all out but it was a slog! About four came out nice and easy using the impact gun. The rest needed hard core hammer and chisel work to persuade them to leave the party. Frozen to the shaft. All apart now!