Chassis conversion/upgrade

wirenut

It seems that upgrading the C2/C3 with C4 suspension is a popular upgrade. How involved is this conversion? How complex is the process of modifying the frame? Other than the cost of the C4 front and rear donor suspensions, what cost are involved? How does the C4 Dana 44 rear measure up to the C2/C3 rear? Is the final product worth the work?

Here's a good donor for the parts!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTYL-h5_hb4[/ame]

Video makes my stomach turn!!

Andy

SRIII Motorsports makes the C3 chassis with C4 components. It has always caught my eye, just a little too pricey for me right now.

Street Shop Inc. does something similar, not tube framed though. I just did not see the pricing.

Last edited:
I've seen the aftermarket frames, and they do look nice. I know newman will modify a C2 frame, but if a person wanted to do it themselves what would they be getting into?

:search::idea:

Seen pix of projects over the years, but lost track of how any of them turned out....:bonkers:

I did my own

I converted my own and it was very involved. If I had it to do over I would go with Newman or SRII. They make a sweet product that works great. I would also use one of the companies that makes the transmission shifter (if Manual) fit in the proper hole. The biggest thing is to look at your budget, your ability and what do you want to end up with. You can go with a frame, C4 suspension and an LSX engine with a 6 speed or overdrive auto.
The strong aftermarket frames are better than the weak stock units modified. The more money the better car you will end up with. But if you want you can go to Philly Motorsports and get a C5 conversion. That is the best kind of conversion right now. It is out of my budget but that would be the ultimate!
Good Luck
Make it your own...
-Charlie