Looking to modernize the suspension of my C3-

starbai

I want it to ride and feel like a newer car, realistically speaking of course.

I'm trying to research what others have done what works and what doesn't and educate my self on the components and whats best for it.

The car will never see the track, its simply for street cruising. I dont have any problem throwing some money at it, I just dont want to spend money where it will be useless. Also the car is running and intact, so suggestions of things that can only be done realistically during a frame off restoration isn't really an option.

Nicer, Larger, wheels and tires are already part of the equation.

One of my major requirements are that I would really like to be able to lower the ride height of the car, and it still ride well after I've done so. Cutting coils isn't an option as a result.

I'm used to honda's and I know suspension components of newer cars but I'm not sure I understand the terminology of what is available for our C3's. Its much simpler these days, buy a set of coilovers throw them on, adjust and call it a day. But the C3's just didn't have as advanced of suspensions as C4+'s did and would like to take this opportunity to really give it a kick in the pants in the suspension dept.

For example I see a lot of people installing Seeroid's Rack n' Pinion Steering System....

What exactly would this do for my 81? I originally thought this was for people that didn't originally have power steering but I'm thinking thats not the case.

Can anyone educate me? What would installing a rack n' pinion system do for me?

I'm going through VB&P's catalog right now trying to look through their packages and see what they have to offer.

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen.....

when doing my car some 15 years ago, I don't recall VBP having much in the way of kits for all their suspension parts.....so I will post what is on the car now....

most of this is VBP....

460 ft springs, 360 plasic rear....Bilstein shocks (worth the money), all new suspension parts, You have to pay attention to the 1/2 shafts in the rear, they are the upper struts...

I chose '89 vette wheels 17x9.5 all around, with VBP wheel adaptors at 2.5 inches thick....it kept vette wheels on a vette, and allows better aspect ratio without breaking the bank....tire prices on 18+ diameters are crazy high....
17" not so bad....so in the rear it's 275/50/17 and front 255/50/17, the front steering radius is limited a tad via bolts in the lower arms to hit the rubbing snubbers on the spindles....drill and tap hole in arm....

Years ago I fabbed up my own rack steering mounts with a welder buddy's help, all junkyard for something that should cost you less than 300 bux today...TOTAL....

the quicker steering ratio at 12-1 instead of 16-1 (that translated to 2.7 turns lock to lock instead of the sloppy stock 3.7 something)....I also went to a later shark steering wheel, smaller diameter and padded nice/thick....

brakes are another story in themselves.....

I THINK the ride with the above mods is fine, and we have some crappy roads on this stand bar we call Florida....

:shocking::beer:

There is a good write up of the homemade rack install in the download section.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=58

Suspension: Bilstein shocks are great, Konis are likely even better ($300/set vs $400/set) - I have personal experience with the Bilsteins, I have not driven a C3 with Konis myself but had Konis on other cars, they're usually top notch.

I use the 550lbs coil springs from VBP, the 460lbs make the car look like a 4x4. Have a look at THIS:
http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344&highlight=460lbs+warning

I use a 7leaf HD spring in the rear, feels a little stiffer than the 9leaf it replaced. With most aftermarket springs you will need to adjust the ride height with longer spring bolts.

If you want just the feel, get bilstein shocks, bigger sway bars, and a little bit stiffer springs like 460# and a rack conversion.

I liked the Koni Classics better, set to about the stiffest setting with some 450# springs, was pretty good for an old car.

I'm alarmed with the quest to lower the car.

My 81 is an inch or so below stock height and rubs on every damned thing! I've looked at sidepipes and gather that it would just change the point of rubbing. I have a lot of speed bumps to deal with and it's just agony.

Drive it enough to evaluate your routes and define the lowering you can tolerate.

BTW, an old Jag hates those speedbumps as well...

Been through a couple of different set-ups. on this vette. It has BF Goodrocks on it.

Started out with stock springs all the way around with Koni adjustables. The ride was ok. Rear spring was sagging so I changed it.

Put on new 550 fronts and a VBP 360 rear. Started out with the koni's. They were good for performance, but I could not get the adjustment right for a firm feel. The Koni's were a little bit older but still worked fine.

I changed out the konis for edlebrock IAS. They claimed that they gave the car a nice firm feel of a sports car and yet were gentle over rough city type roads. And, that is pretty much what they did. They are a very nice cruising shock. But you can probably find a cheaper shock for cruising if that's all you are going to do.

I changed out the IAS for Bilstein sport. I had run bilstein on a previous vette and like the feel of them. Great for local spirited driving. If I ever go on a road trip with the vete, the IAS are going back on.

The 550's from VBP will lower your ride height about an inch in the front(my ridws a big block, not sure about how much they would lower a SB). You'll have to lower the rear with longer bolts. But don't over do it since you want to keep the half shafts as close to parallel as possible when driving.

Of course it helps if all of your suspension bushings are good as well as your steering componants. I replaced all the bushings since the rubber was cracked and missing in some spots. I used rubber bushings. Good bushings made a big difference. I had poly before and did not like the squeeking...allthough that can be dealt with.

Last edited:
I am not that famaliar with the C5 or C6 ride from the driver's seat. I'm guessing that's what you mean when you say you want you Vette to feel like a "newer" Vette. Those cars are entirly different animals and I do not think you will get close. If you want a different feel from what you have now, do you want softer or do you want to feel the road more???

My car is like riding a go cart, I feel every pebble in the road and love it. The feel is awsome on the highway, it makes you feel you and the car are ONE.

I have a LOTA VBP stuff on my car, most of it has been on there since around 1993. For the FRONT I have the lightweight (box tube) upper & lower control arms (which lower the front a little), the transverse leaf spring (which also lowers the front a little more), Carrera adjustable shocks (which was the better shock back then), a 1" front sway bar, & urethane bushings all over. For the REAR I have the dual mount leaf spring, Carrera adjustable shocks, smart struts, off-set trailing arms. I kept 15" rims on the car just to keep the older look.

What I would like is a set of QA-1 shocks all the way around. They are awsome. You can adjust them anytime by just going under the car and clicking the nob. AND I would also like rack & pinion steering.

There are so many different combinations out there, so see/listen to what everyone has to say and (most likely) you will put together you own combination. There are a LOTA good suggestions/ideas on this thread.

Last edited: