More stuff to do

RJ80

Well I have been collecting parts for the past few months and it is almost time to get busy again. As always, one thing led to another and what started out as a small problem with the A/C has turned into a major project. I decided to "upgrade" to R-134 after discovering the a/c wasn't working a few months ago. I figured if I was going to make the change, I should do it right as it is my wife's daily driver and the AZ summers are pretty unforgiving. I decided to go with the R-134 conversion and ended up with Sanden 508 compressor, parallel flow condenser, new evaporator, blower motor and electric fans. The fans led me to a upgrade to the CS130 to handle the increased electrical load. Anyway, the list kept growing and now I have the following to install (in addition to the parts above): 1) Heater core (not leaking, but it is 30 yrs old) 2) Roller Cam and associated upgrades (wife got passed on the freeway and didn't like it) 3) Fast EFI and associated fuel/ignition upgrades (to get decent drivability with the new cam) 4) New 2.5" dual exhaust with full length headers and cats (to take advantage of the new cam) 5) Keisler A41 4L60E with Paddle shifter to replace the BTO 200-4r (never liked the 200-4r lock-up function) 6) New stereo head unit (she wants the ipod connector) 7) New 140 mph speedo (see #2) 8)Power door locks (never understood why it came with power windows and not locks) 9) New dash pad (last thing to do to the interior) 10) QA1 shocks and springs (to get the front end a little lower) and 11) A new alarm system to keep it all safe. It should keep me busy for the next couple of months.
I haven't ordered the dash pad because of the horrible fit of the other aftermarket interior parts I have used. Does anyone have any experience (price/quality) with Just Dashes in LA for restoration (or a good replacement for a 1980)? There is one crack above the gauge bezel and the speaker area is cracked but otherwise it is in pretty good shape...

Last edited:
JUst Dashes did a GORGEOUS job on a '70 Lemans/GTO convertible dash years ago for me, it was black, and lasted ten years I owned the car, it was PERFECT job....it even fit better than stock if that's believable.....
but that was nearly 20 years ago too....

On your FI, if you can figger out how to interrupt the 5 volt regulator line, typically 12 volts feed, you can disable the computer, I did it with a old garage door opener receiver hidden away, so first I hit the switch then the correct button on the opener setting there, that will start the car....the wiring is purposely done in all one color, so some thief will have to know the pin outs to drive the car....color codes are not EVEN close to stock...it's a '72 all hotrodded/modified.....

:drink:

Thanks for the feedback and the tip on the security system. The limited info I could find indicated that they (just dashes) do good work but it's nice to get feedback from someone who actually used them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and the tip on the security system. The limited info I could find indicated that they (just dashes) do good work but it's nice to get feedback from someone who actually used them.

:crutches: Well, it's been a LONG time now, like so much else in the QC dept these daze, there is the shadow of shit over so many operations.....

I HOPE it's not gotten to them yet......and I have to admit I had my doubts, but all info I had said they were cool...best of luck, maybe fish around for other opinions that are much later model than my 20 y/o experience....

:flash:

I actually got started today
Parts Pile
7944af502e7911ad.jpg
Before
7944af502e7ede28.jpg
Before
7944af502e85695b.jpg
After the first evening
7944af502e8ba9bd.jpg
New Halogen Headlights
7944af502e932230.jpg
I was going to just add the new parts to this motor since it only has about 30K on it. I have since decided on a complete 383 build up, but I hate to use this engine as a base as it would be such a waste of perfectly good parts (it is a new gm crate 350 HO). I think the best way to go is sell this one with the BTO 200-r4 and build a new one outright. :noworry:

Yeh, just a few changes here and there, and then like me, finding out your mind has other ideas when you see the possibilities.....

:smash::eek::thumbs:

Just an update to the original post. I went with the corvette america dash. I found some negative feedback on the price, quality and turnaround time for the dash recover. I haven't installed it but it seems like it is far superior to the other interior parts (like door panels) I have received from other vendors. Once I get the motor out, I will start on the dash and heater core and give a real product review...

Good news, hope that works out well......

I heard, but couldn't remember who/what....that Just Dashes did vette stuff for vendors on the side, but that is ancient information.......see if any markings stamped/cast into the plastic as to maker, kinda curious...

there was a brand on my goat dash....

:bonkers::crutches:

The car looks great already, but I think you caught a bad case of "WhileI'matititis'!!! Great project though, should be a nice ride when your done, and should keep the wife happy too! I'm interested in the sound system you decide on, that's on my list too...

What wheels and tires are you running, they look great! Did you have to make any mods to get them on there?

Just got done with a full day of wrenching. Everything going well so far, motor/trans are ready to come out. I don't know about the brand on the dash, I'll check it out tomorrow. I don't want to get my hopes up yet. I bought new door panels from Mid America that look good but they fit like crap. I bought some used OE panels (trashed mine before I checked the fit:mad:) and I'll have to bit the bullet and get them redone. Anyway, I'll check on the dash tomorrow.
Thanks for the complements. No kidding on the whileiamatits :D. The rims/tires are Foose Nitrous 18X10 rear and 18X8.5 front. The fronts have 4.5" back space and the rears have 5.25". The tires are 285-40-18 rear and 245-45-18 fronts. Everything fits fine, but I have offset rear t/a's and a shortened spring. The sound system is a Pioneer head unit with a Directed digital amp, 2-10" RF subs, 4-Alpine/Polk Audio mids and Polk tweeters . It keeps you from nodding off on those long drives...

Last edited:
Yours is an 80? Someone installed an 82 rad frame. If you swap it for a real 80 one you can sell it to some poor 82 sap with a rotted one and pull out an arm or a leg...they aren't being made for the 82s anymore.

Thanks for the info, that explains it...Foose...guy's amazing, and so are those wheels. I'll look into the sound system, like long drives and kinda into music too, my iPod's full, but it's only an 80g, probably time to update it!!!

Yeah, I believe the prior owner switched it out to put on the dual snorkel air cleaner set-up that was installed when I bought it. I guess they figured they needed the increased air flow after they added the Edelbrock low rise, Performer carb and all the chrome accessories on the stock L-48. It was a real tire shredder. :amused: Anyway, I don't know about 82 being a hot collectable yet, but if anyone wants to find an acceptable replacement 80 core and use the 82 core to restore his/her car then let me know. I have some other parts laying around as well if anyone (ie: someone looking to use them not sell them for cash) is in the Tucson area. By the way, there were zero markings on the dash pad.

Last edited:
Got to love the electronics industry. The only industry where things that are made better and cost less every year!

Engine coming out
7944afb4bed4007f.jpg
The "old" tranny
7944afb4beda902f.jpg
Doesn't take long to make a mess
7944afb4bee11a61.jpg
Maybe this one will fit?
7944afb4bee62366.jpg

Just some slight modifications and I'm sure it'll go right in!! Today I start putting the engine/trans back in my car, should be able to fire it this weekend!

A little more done

Everything is out. Time to clean it up and put it back together.
7944b08cae064b8f.jpg

7944b08cae0c8d39.jpg

7944b08cae12a21e.jpg

7944b08cae17f964.jpg