Centerforce clutch

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Is the centerforce clutch the one that requires the longer clutch fork ball stud? If so, anyone got a part#?

Well, after talking to Glen and Tracdogg, we are pressing forward. Here is the progress so far. Anyone using the CF1 unit, please chime in with your experience.
PICT0002-53.jpg
PICT0003-42.jpg
PICT0005-34.jpg
PICT0009-23.jpg
PICT0011-16.jpg
PICT0017-9.jpg
PICT0001-55.jpg

Hello

Yes, I'm using it behind the GM T56 Viper tranny with a adjustable fork ball.

Günther

Yep. Today. It has 1" free pedal, and engages about 1" off the floor. No vibration, and sticks good. Car shifts really nice. Cleaning up the linkages, using all new clevis pins, and rebuilding the cross shaft helped alot. I believe John is quite pleased. Still have 1" of adjustment left. We will recheck it in 400 miles.

Yep. drove it home and hit 100MPH through Santa Ana Canyon. The clutch works great. We adjusted to slightly too much free play at the top of the pedal that will come out as the clutch wears in. We cleaned up the shifter linkage and that now works like a new car, smooth, easy and no squeeks. Replaced the clutch pedal linkage nylon bushings and the felt washers. I bought new mounting studs for both frame and block but we measured the new ones against the used ones that were in the car ,and the old ones were still closer to tolerance.

New Spicer U-Jounts and balanced driveshaft.

I know that there have been some concerns with Centerforce on some of the other forums. I have the centerforce I. I have only driven the car less than 100 miles. The little ring of weights on the pressure plate does rattle slightly between neutral and reverse only, not a problem for me. Clutch works quick and easy and I am very happy so far. If there are any problems I will post them.

Anyway, Bird is a one-in-a-million and I thank him for all the help. Thanks also to Darrow and CAScotty.

Yep. drove it home and hit 100MPH through Santa Ana Canyon. The clutch works great. We adjusted to slightly too much free play at the top of the pedal that will come out as the clutch wears in. We cleaned up the shifter linkage and that now works like a new car, smooth, easy and no squeeks. Replaced the clutch pedal linkage nylon bushings and the felt washers. I bought new mounting studs for both frame and block but we measured the new ones against the used ones that were in the car ,and the old ones were still closer to tolerance.

New Spicer U-Jounts and balanced driveshaft.

I know that there have been some concerns with Centerforce on some of the other forums. I have the centerforce I. I have only driven the car less than 100 miles. The little ring of weights on the pressure plate does rattle slightly between neutral and reverse only, not a problem for me. Clutch works quick and easy and I am very happy so far. If there are any problems I will post them.

Anyway, Bird is a one-in-a-million and I thank him for all the help. Thanks also to Darrow and CAScotty.

Glad everything worked out. CenterForce clutches have be getting bad raps for years. It's nice to see one that worked out good. Of course I use Mcleod -- since 78. Everyone a work of art. The new one in the Vette now is a 12 inch. :beer:

Glad it worked out for you guy's :thumbs: I put the center force dual friction clutch in last summer,resurfaced the fly wheel,new pilot brg,t/o brg,had to adjust the linkage some under the hood but it is working great also,clutch engages about an inch off the floor,shifts smooth, no problems :thumbs:
I have read some post's where guys are having problems with them not dis-engaging,but i have no idea what the problem is :twitch:

Well, Now John is reporting a vibration about 40 MPH that goes away when you depress the clutch. I seem to recall Traccdog saying the weights on the fingers could cause this. Anybody?

Well, this POS is coming out today.:cussing: I drove the car, and this thing is going to vibrate every bolt out of the car if we don't change it. :crap:We are installing a stock Luke unit, that Darrow reports works just fine.:nuts:

You can take off the weights, they just add more clamping force with rpm. The rest is just a regular(most likely valeo) piece.

Well, Now John is reporting a vibration about 40 MPH that goes away when you depress the clutch. I seem to recall Traccdog saying the weights on the fingers could cause this. Anybody?

Well, this POS is coming out today.:cussing: I drove the car, and this thing is going to vibrate every bolt out of the car if we don't change it. :crap:We are installing a stock Luke unit, that Darrow reports works just fine.:nuts:

Or, you could run over to Mcleod in Anahiem and talk to George. What ever he tells me has been gold-since 78. The 12 inch he built for me 2 years ago is perfect. :bounce:

Last edited:
Well, we pulled that POS out today. I dialed the flywheel. Zero runout. I checked the dowel pin. Correct. I checked the flywheel surface, pressure plate, driven plate, all perfect with zero wear. We installed a Luke clutch, an OEM supplier for GM. We also took the oppurtunity to reseal the muncie, and re-installed it in one day. The clutch is perfect, and the vibration is GONE.
I would NEVER recommend a Centerforce clutch to anyone, ever. POS;)

A few pictures from today. We also installed new tunnel insulation, and the air dam that goes between the bellhousing and the body. John reports a 10* drop in cabin temp JUST from this foam air dam.
348815b9f957de.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba018f90.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba09a5d3.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba149cf2.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba200a8c.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba27aa3c.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba30cc73.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba37832b.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba40a58a.jpg
[/IMG]
348815ba48468b.jpg
[/IMG]
348815bfde8ccb.jpg
[/IMG]

After driving the car with the LUK for over 100 miles yesterday and today I have to say I didn't really realize how bad the vibration was throughout the entire RPM range. It really got bad with hard acceleration but I now realize that there was some vibration all the time that is not there now.

I see BlackRat is having the same problem on the other forum and Centerforce gave him some speel about having a heavy spot on his flywheel coincidentally aligned with a heavy spot on the pressure plate. The suggested fix from Centerforce was to take it all apart and turn the pressure plate 180%.

Just sounds like a crappy clutch for this application to me.

After driving the car with the LUK for over 100 miles yesterday and today I have to say I didn't really realize how bad the vibration was throughout the entire RPM range. It really got bad with hard acceleration but I now realize that there was some vibration all the time that is not there now.

I see BlackRat is having the same problem on the other forum and Centerforce gave him some speel about having a heavy spot on his flywheel coincidentally aligned with a heavy spot on the pressure plate. The suggested fix from Centerforce was to take it all apart and turn the pressure plate 180%.

Just sounds like a crappy clutch for this application to me.

That sounds like something they would say to the customer to give them something to do. Unfortunately, Centerforce's rep on their clutches in not good around here.:crutches:

Hi

Good to hear that the clutch change fixed this problem.

I must say that I do not have any problems with my CF DF clutch.

I would say that you normally hear about the probably very few clutches making problems, so one might think that it is a bad clutch.

I guess if you would have spoken to CF , they probably would have replaced ypour clutch for a new one and also here problem solved.

Why some of their weights get out of balance, they better get a grip to, otherwise the reputation will be down.

When I bought mine, a similar thread as this one went on. I spoke to them about it and they promised this would not happen to me. They promised that they sell many and hardly get any negative feedback.:bs: ??

Günther