EE's pulse counter/displays.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I want a electronic speedometer, have a 4000 ppm generator for the old speed density computer....so want to take that output from the counter OR the computer that feeds the cruise control....which is a squared off pulse at TTL....

so I want to make a digital speedo display with that signal....

it will have to be 110% accurate till light speeds....

no debate, accurate.....so what I need is a parts list and schematic for the display/converter.....

my mechanical POS is all over the map above 70 mph....:shocking:

for that matter, I want to do the same for a tach, using the same engine signal as stock.....

Last edited:
Gene, I can't help you with an answer but could you give me some info that pulse generator?

It is a aftermarket pulse generator that mimics the GM sending unit for later model cars....but it included a pass through to couple the old mechanical speedo cable to it.....so I had a pulse generator 4000 pulses per MILE?? whatever, ther were two of them back then the first was 2000 for some reason they switch to 4000, my computer needs that signal for the TPI type programing otherwise the engine will search idle speeds all over the place....:shocking:

but to do tach accuracy, I have left from decades ago...a digital audio oscillator...so I used it to verify the tach accuracy...

:shocking:

Yes, I have speedo cable pass thru drive for my TBI - 2000ppm but I am going to need a 4000ppm for an LS conversion and I can't seem to find one, I want to retain my Muncie at this point

Yes, I have speedo cable pass thru drive for my TBI - 2000ppm but I am going to need a 4000ppm for an LS conversion and I can't seem to find one, I want to retain my Muncie at this point

Jeez, they are available still, mine is a gray round case with a plug/wires on it...purple and yellow wires to the computer....cost me 85 bux....about 15 years ago for the first TPI install, long since modified....

but the sender is the same, on the opposite side of a 200 auto tranny now...:smash: