Tbi

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Are there any improvements that can be done with TBI?
They hype up the spacers. Any truith or BS?
How about manifold improvements?
JSUP. Any mods, rebuilding costs? (94 Stock 5.7 two injector TBI)

94? I presume a typo, '84, anyway, basically the answer is no, apparently from everything I have read/heard first hand is the cost/power equation is way off the beam....

better off to swap a TPI...but I hear the hood has to be altered, changed....

:drink:

94? I presume a typo, '84, anyway, basically the answer is no, apparently from everything I have read/heard first hand is the cost/power equation is way off the beam....

Sorry Gene. It's a 94 Chevy Pickup, but still a 5.7 powerplant.

Sorry Gene. It's a 94 Chevy Pickup, but still a 5.7 powerplant.

:D:friends: I know nothing, my friend with the S10 is taking it to a mechanic...apparently the toss out bearing is gone too....so fuck it....

:chinese::crutches:

Didn't people used to swap the 454 TBI onto the 350? Not certain of the logic to that unless the 350 throttle body is way undersized.

The 350 has a puny little 2bbl TPI. There are people out there who bore them larger and install larger throttle plates (I think the name of the co. for the plates was caswell)

Hey Big Bird,

Been busy, my boat motor blew up, that's a $10,000 problem. Working on tuning the vette, and finally got 3 days in a row without rain, so taking the kids to the beach...etc...

Anyway, are we talking stock or aftermarket? Essentially, all you can do with TBI is increase flow, put in a plate, and that's about it. You could work the intake some, but IMO, it is kinda limiting. Now, that does not mean you can't make big power with a TBI setup, in place of a carb for example. But in terms of stock setups, not much.

I just did a go fast boat with a Merc and TBI. These injectors are only available now in remanufactured from Rochester. They are the same as found in many GM vehicles. They are expensive, about $100 each. Choices are limited.

If you're talking aftermarket, that's an entirely different case.

Jsup, don't EVER mention boats and engine problems again........

:shocking::bomb: neighbor across the street, 225 horse Merc outboard....one cyl keeps blowing, parts are a bitch, he been down for about 2 years fucking with it...no afford 50 grand to fix the bitch....or 18 grand to replace it....HUGE boat, though....

then some other friends with a 22' Chapparal 350 chebby...long story, 5X over the transom in my driveway....about 15 months to get it finally RIGHT....

:shocking::bomb:

Edelbrock has Performer style intakes made for the GM TBI's that should help over the stock one.

Or you could use any good aftermarket 4bbl intake with an adapter plate.

Seems i've read that folks replace the 350 TB with one from a 454 for more airflow, but I can't recall what else they did.

I know one guy that has a great rep for working with the GM efi system is Howell Engine Developments - he is an ex GM fuel inject engineer so knows the systems inside and out.

If I recall he's got upgrades - both hardware and software - available. Also lots of info on how to set up and upgrade a system. Check him out.

I'll see if I can find that other info I saw not too long ago.