Chevy VOLT

Bird, you know and I know we can't draw all the equations out on a paper, much less explain why it's all BS.....

but that don't stop understanding the truth in final cost/mile of operation....

:crap:

Bird, you know and I know we can't draw all the equations out on a paper, much less explain why it's all BS.....

Whats so unbelievable about it??? you wanted us to believe you were driving 150 MPH with the top down :quote:

Whats so unbelievable about it??? you wanted us to believe you were driving 150 MPH with the top down :quote:

Well, all I can say is the tach and speedo agreed at the time, and according to the web sites, one of which I copied here....that should have been correct....
and a verified the tach as being only 300 rpm high at 4500......so you all tell ME what is rong.....

:loveletter:

I hope those Li-ion batteries have a life-span longer than the ones in my laptop. :search:

Well, years ago, I was told that they typical lead/acid battery is so heavy, and gell cells too, is the physical vibrations when in use....the more space between electrodes, the less output, need surface area to make high currents, large surface area means thicker plates, increasing weight and size....then there has to be a area under the plates so when the shitty metal flakes off, it has a place to go, and not short out the plates on the lower edge, thereby killing one cell out of the bunch....This apparently also applied to the 50 lbs of jell cells we used for battery backup giving like 5 hours operating time on our security gear, years ago...

so under typical road conditions...I just fail to see how some battery can be constructed to withstand a NASA shaker and still stay together, NOT CHEEP anyway.....

:shocking::hissyfit:

Did some cyfering.

Compared the annaul operating cost of the new Cobalt to the new Volt. Made some very simple assumptions like same maint. cost per year. No added cost to replace the batteries in the Volt. I used 10 years to amortize the price of the vehicles both driving 12k miles per year. I also assumed the the .gov equalized the MPG correctly so that 230mpg actually means 230mpg of gas. (Assume that the internal generator is always used to recharge the batteries and no cost for external electric charging).

At $3.00 bucks a gallon for gas, it would actually cost you about $1,200 per year more to drive the Volt. When gas hits about $7.00 per gallon, then the annual cost is the same. Above 7 bucks and the Volt is cheaper.

The comparison was based on an outright purchase with no finance or interest/cost of money calculation. When you add those, it would be a bit more than $7.00 per gallon before the operating costs are the same due to the significantly higher price of the Volt. (40k versus 18k for the Cobalt).

Someone may have some better figures...if you gottem...showem.

Did some cyfering.

Compared the annaul operating cost of the new Cobalt to the new Volt. Made some very simple assumptions like same maint. cost per year. No added cost to replace the batteries in the Volt. I used 10 years to amortize the price of the vehicles both driving 12k miles per year. I also assumed the the .gov equalized the MPG correctly so that 230mpg actually means 230mpg of gas. (Assume that the internal generator is always used to recharge the batteries and no cost for external electric charging).

At $3.00 bucks a gallon for gas, it would actually cost you about $1,200 per year more to drive the Volt. When gas hits about $7.00 per gallon, then the annual cost is the same. Above 7 bucks and the Volt is cheaper.

The comparison was based on an outright purchase with no finance or interest/cost of money calculation. When you add those, it would be a bit more than $7.00 per gallon before the operating costs are the same due to the significantly higher price of the Volt. (40k versus 18k for the Cobalt).

Please show your work.

C-

:lol:

I tried to copy paste the excel worksheet and it comes out all fugged up....got any ideas how I can post it so it doesn't appear all screwed up?

Did some cyfering.

Now you've done it. IF GM reads this, they will wait till sales fall flat, then have the oil companies jack it up to $7.00 a gallon.:cussing:

Smokin, what if I drove it to work and back, charged it at work, and never used a gallon?;)

Smokin, what if I drove it to work and back, charged it at work, and never used a gallon?;)

You would be taxed by the US government for a work benefit and have a tank of stale gas after 12 months:) Savings of about 160 bucks at 3 per gallon and 365bucks at 7bucks a gallon....less what uncle Sam wants.

"Now you've done it. IF GM reads this, they will wait till sales fall flat, then have the oil companies jack it up to $7.00 a gallon."

You don't think the the Washington Dems don't already know this...you know, the guys pushing GM green? Best way for them to force more efficient vehicle sales is to have the gas price go up. Gas will eventually hit 7 bucks a gallon...not if, but when. If you follow the world economic news, EU is starting to come back, China is coming back and the US is coming back...all at the same time. Demand will far outweigh supply soon enough....remember all that talk about building refining capacity and new oil drilling? Well, we have done nothing about it just 1 year after oil hovered around 170 per barrel. Yes, it hovers around 70 per barrel today...but, for how long.....

It's just a matter of time before the numbers flow in favor of the Volt.

Ok, enough of the conspiracy theory:crylol:

Last edited:
Conspiracy, hell, IF someone would just pick off/assassinate George Soros, we all would be MUCH better off, for one thing, it would send a good clear loud enough message that some others better quit fucking around in the finance world......or they too can be had....

:hunter::hunter::bump:

I thought the volt was charge only. NO gas.

Edit: it has a supplimental gas generator.

I believe the way they're getting the 230 miles per gallon is looking at the relative efficiencies of generating electricity with a small gas engine the way the prius does it vs getting the charge off the grid which is much more efficient because of efficiencies of scale. They use the baseline number from the prius then make a calculation that grid power is 4x more efficient. It's not improper logic.

The prius does not make sense financially either. There is a huge market to sell to upper middle class people who want to make ammends for having money or to look trendy/green. I see priuses all over the place out here. A shitload. OK?

These electric cars really shine in cases such as commuting to Boston in traffic. I would estimate that 1/2 to 2/3 of gas used is due to idling. There will probably come a day where restrictions are placed on what cars can pass into a big city.

Last edited:

I thought the volt was charge only. NO gas. I believe the way they're getting the 230 miles per gallon is looking at the relative efficiencies of generating electricity with a small gas engine the way the prius does it vs getting the charge off the grid which is much more efficient because of efficiencies of scale. They use the baseline number from the prius then make a calculation that grid power is 4x more efficient. It's not improper logic.

The prius does not make sense financially either. There is a huge market to sell to upper middle class people who want to make ammends for having money or to look trendy/green. I see priuses all over the place out here. A shitload. OK?

These electric cars really shine in cases such as commuting to Boston in traffic. I would estimate that 1/2 to 2/3 of gas used is due to idling. There will probably come a day where restrictions are placed on what cars can pass into a big city.

It has been my contention for decades that if they would synch the lights to keep traffic MOVING instead of stopping for every other damn light as you get to it....maybe the MPG would go UP.....right there we could cut 5-10% of our crude oil consumption bill.....

but NO, that's too much like logic for the .gov to get....

Having spent many a year in Wash DC.....driving all over the joint at various times of day....and night....I was rather used to that ill timed stupid theory of 'traffic management'.....

but then I spent a year in DFW, and back in '70, found that TEXAS had a totally different theory....they all turned GREEN in sequence, you got on a road, and you could travel at a goodly clip like 45-60 mph right through town....never hit a light.....today WE here in Jax Florida have a cross town city street that is timed that way.....i'ts actually commandeered as part of a freeway connector....Union st is one way...forget the other...but we travel at 50 mph right on through...keep up the speed and i'ts a clean 3 mile shot right through the city....even in rush hour....

it CAN be done....but the Naderites don't want it....so....:bullshit::clobbered::censored: