what to get out of a 200r4

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
Heard so many opinions about how strong a 200r4 is over a 700r4,, my 700r4 shifts too fast out of 1st, is there a longer duration in the 200r4 pattern of gears? anybody running the 200r4 that likes it better and why?

Yes, it doesn't have the stupid short 1st
200-4R (4L40) 2.74 | 1.57 | 1 | 0.67
700-R4 (4L60) 3.06 | 1.63 | 1 | 0.7

And the 4L80: 2.48 | 1.48 | 1 | 0.75

So what are the shiftkits,, like transgo and B&B and so on.. what are the positive solutions? I've heard adding spraggs, different servo's?

So what are the shiftkits,, like transgo and B&B and so on.. what are the positive solutions? I've heard adding spraggs, different servo's?

The Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit does several things: It rerouts some hydrailics, changes pressure on the pump and changes spring pressures on the accumulators. All in the interest of more positive faster shifts. It allows you to hold any gear to any RPM also.
The servo upgrade (Super Servo) has a larger surface area and stronger springs which allow it to hold more pressure on the 2nd gear band which gives a harder stronger shift into 2nd. There is also an upgrade for the band giving it more surface area further improving the hold in for 2nd.
The sprags didn't change in the kits, just got rebuilt.
The 2004R has a few advantages over the early 7004R: Its lighter, better gear ratios as stated above and has tougher internals, the early 700'd has lubrication issues, fixed in later units.
I have not driven my car since I built the 2004R for it, but did a LOT of research before dropping the hammer, it takes fewer mods to hot rod a 300 than a 700.

Thanks for the input... Seeing its setting on the floor and doig nothing,,, I thought I would have it built up as the 700 is not going to last. Thanks again.

Rich

Thanks for the input... Seeing its setting on the floor and doig nothing,,, I thought I would have it built up as the 700 is not going to last. Thanks again.

Rich

Rich....DIY, i'ts NOT that damn hard.....beeleemeeee....

I did it, and it's running fine for nearly 2 years now....

and I cruised at 150 with the top/windows down once too...without all that indecisive down shifting the 700 insisted on....

put in a front pump, converter, TRANS GO SHIFT KIT (and NO OTHER), TCC solenoid (don't ask just DO)....and of course a soft parts kit and wide heavy duty band.....let trans go take are of the servos and etc...they know WTF they are doing.....

thanks a bunch for the input, I've got so much home work. Like going back to school,, its a real challenge.

i don't think the 200 is stronger. It is lighter and fits better with more evenly spaced ratios.

TH200R4 is stronger. That is why they put that trans behind the Turbo V6 Buicks

i stand corrected. That's what i get for thinkin.

i was able to burn up the 200 in about 4 years in the GN.

DAMN good reliability as I bet that boost was cranked a good bit too.....and a 4000 lbs car too boot.....

especially for a mainly stock unit.....they did some tricks for it at GM so I understand.....

my 200 has been on the ground running for 3? years now....Danny?? Danny and I talked it over for about an hour when we were doing our builds....

unlike other here, I refuse to have my car on the stands longer than 6 months.....

gotta get my sunburn up to snuff....

:devil::devil::clobbered:

i don't think the 200 is stronger. It is lighter and fits better with more evenly spaced ratios.

TH200R4 is stronger. That is why they put that trans behind the Turbo V6 Buicks

i stand corrected. That's what i get for thinkin.

i was able to burn up the 200 in about 4 years in the GN.

DAMN good reliability as I bet that boost was cranked a good bit too.....and a 4000 lbs car too boot.....

:

i put a bleed off valve in the wastegate feedback/control circuit and ran 20 pounds. That car was FUN.