Plug wires and shields

pcf_mark

I have killed some more plug wires and now I am animated (pissed). I have MSD high dollar super silicon plug wires with the DEI fiber shielding on the boots and first 6" of the wire. While troubleshooting rough idle I discover that the headers have heated the boots up through the shielding and they are dried and cracked. Not burnt exactly but dried out where the header has been heating them. Now the wires arc to the headers. This is a BBC with 2 1/8 tubes so there is very little room for anything in there and I was counting on the DEI shields.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was contemplating making aluminum shields like the OEM type from when the cars where new. That sounds like a lot of fun too! If I could get an air gap between the DEI shield and the header by having a shield in between maybe they would live.
Thanks

34a7efb58037fa.jpg
No problem so far. However, these headers are ceramic coated, and copper coated inside. They stay pretty cool without wrapping.
The boot socks are the way to go.
I DO know TimAT has the same issue, even with socks and header wrap.

I have the same wires and shields as Big2Bird. My tubes look bigger and they sweep closer to the engine too I think.

Neat idea the sparkarm. No prices anywhere even when I tried to order!

Any other suggestions? I am seriously thinking about creating some metal shields with an air gaps - I bet that would look lovely.

A couple years ago by now, I got a set of 8 Jacobs ceramic plug boots, they work fine....

:clobbered: