Hey guys - stopped to say hi - 29 A coupe w/ banger

chevy69

Hey guys - been a while but thought I would drop by. I've been messing around with older stuff mainly - still buiding my '38 Dodge business coupe. Got the brakes all plumbed and messing with the AC and the fuel system now. Got the gauges figured out and built a bench seat for it from an old Ford PU seat (narrowed it). Still need to pull wires.

I ran across a '52 Chrysler Hemi in the spring that I tucked away in the garage for a future project.

I picked up a '29 Model A "gas ration" pickup that I am going to put the hemi into some day.

I also picked up a '29 Model A coupe (traded a '00 Jeep for it) that I'm running the stock banger in. I put a scalded dog downdraft on it and a '94 carb. Still can't get it to idle down like I want it. Planning to throw some wide whites on some 16" wires that I got off a '36 Ford - should look nice. I have a new distributor for it w/ electronic ignition - should also smooth it out some. Here are some pics:

DSC04654.jpg

38black05.jpg

DSC04944.jpg

Picture031.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....hotrodder....

your 30's black coupe there, that looks SO similar to one a guy in my hood had when I was about 12-13 still pushing a single speed bike around....him and another group with a '49 Ford....makes me :bounce::bump::twitch:

Last edited:
Nice stuff, I have an A touring myself Whats a "gas ration" p.u.? Or a "Scalded dog" Carb? Just a down draft? Must be an aftermarket manifold as well? I'm a hot rodder at heart but those A's look pretty complete, gotta think hard about cuttin' 'em up. That Hemi is a great score.

Thanks guys,

00FXD - Nothing radical planned for the '29 that couldn't be "undone". The scalded dog is an aftermarket intake for a downdraft carb - I have a Stromberg 97 carb on it. As for the "Gas Ration" pickup, it was common during the war years (WWII) for vehicles to be converted to pickups in order to obtain extra gas rations - my '29 PU started life as a Briggs bodied 4 door. Kind of a cool piece of history, but needs a ton of work to "finish" the conversion properly. It is competely dissassembled, and the hemi goes there eventually.

Good lookin' pick-up conversion. Around here we had plenty of early "T" tourings with the back cut off to be a pick-up. It wasn't unheard of in later years to find a back half in a field from a different car and stick it on to make it back into a touring....... :smash:

looking good.....we have started back up on the body work on the 37 ford.....its just too freaking hot here to get too serious in the summer, the flat head will get pulled this winter to see whats going in that.....keep us posted those are good looking rides....

Good lookin' pick-up conversion. Around here we had plenty of early "T" tourings with the back cut off to be a pick-up. It wasn't unheard of in later years to find a back half in a field from a different car and stick it on to make it back into a touring....... :smash:

My dad had a 31 Caddy and when he sold it the guy took the trunk lid off put a hook setup in and used it for a tow truck

Hey Bob good to here you are back on your old Ford.

I couldn't get the Holley '94 to idle down so I swapped in a Stromberg 97 - runs like a champ now! The new ones (reproductions) are mfg. in England.

I also finished rounding up my 16" '35 Ford Wires and ran across a set of Coker 16.5 x 16 wide whites and got those on now. I may try to find 7.50 x 16 for the back but I got the whole set for $100 and couldn't pass 'em up.

I am gathering parts for the traditional juice brake conversion ('53 F100 fronts and '40-'48 Ford in rear). Those mechanical brakes are OK, but too many azzes in BMWs cutting me off and braking hard in front of me ;-)

I am planning to take the '29 to Goodguys here in November (Scottsdale, AZ).

DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0612.jpg

i have all of the stuff to do the juice brake conversion for the 37, because of the frame design it uses a 39 brake/clutch master cylinder parts, although i am going to delay doing that and may even not do it at all......there is some sort of floating adjuster that is a retro fit part that is suppose to make the mechanical brakes alot better, I believe it would also workk with your brakes. i am having a problem deciding where the logical stopping point would be with upgrades and at the moment i am thinking of keeping it as original.....heres the loop.....well if you go to juice brakes why not use a double master cylinder and then why not disc brakes up front then then why not different brakes in the back and lose the old tube axle rear end for a new style rear axle and then chnage the 3spd to a 5 spd and while i am at it if i have braking capabilty why not a bigger engine and then if i have a bigger engine why not just use a new frame......so then why not just a get new frame to start with.......so back to the body work since thats easy to agree on.......

i have all of the stuff to do the juice brake conversion for the 37, because of the frame design it uses a 39 brake/clutch master cylinder parts, although i am going to delay doing that and may even not do it at all......there is some sort of floating adjuster that is a retro fit part that is suppose to make the mechanical brakes alot better, I believe it would also workk with your brakes. i am having a problem deciding where the logical stopping point would be with upgrades and at the moment i am thinking of keeping it as original.....heres the loop.....well if you go to juice brakes why not use a double master cylinder and then why not disc brakes up front then then why not different brakes in the back and lose the old tube axle rear end for a new style rear axle and then chnage the 3spd to a 5 spd and while i am at it if i have braking capabilty why not a bigger engine and then if i have a bigger engine why not just use a new frame......so then why not just a get new frame to start with.......so back to the body work since thats easy to agree on.......

Hahaha I know what you mean Bob. I took the '29 up to Heber-Overgaard (AZ white mountains) this weekend and put it in a small show there on Saturday (under 100 cars). I can't tell you how many great conversations I had with old timers that just loved the car because I hadn't done too much to it. They all had stories about having or riding in similar Model As. I ended up taking 1st place for pre-'50 vehicles. Pretty cool. Right now I'm leaving her like she is. I did swap out the back tires with some Firestone (Coker) 7.50-16 wide whites. It's like a poor man's overdrive.

Mechanical brakes are fine WHEN they are done EXACTLY correct, and ONLY on a parade car. With todays traffic, if your going to drive it often, or up the HP, I would put juice brakes in. My T has 2 wheel mech brakes, and you have to give a LONG lead in front. In a bad emergency, your f***kd.:crap:

Mechanical brakes are fine WHEN they are done EXACTLY correct, and ONLY on a parade car. With todays traffic, if your going to drive it often, or up the HP, I would put juice brakes in. My T has 2 wheel mech brakes, and you have to give a LONG lead in front. In a bad emergency, your f***kd.:crap:

Yeah I think the Bird has a great point here. I have become super-sensitive to the number of folks cutting in front of me in little BMWs and the like only to clamp down the binders quickly and make a quick turn, requiring me to clamp the brakes down just to avoid them and change my underwear :eek:

I don't want to go "too far" either but have you ever seen one of these cars after it's been in a wreck? Not pretty. I think I will make "the juice" the next upgrade - what the heck most of the guys did it back in the late 40s and 50s anyway, so it is a traditional swap. So is the 39 trans with synchro gears which I am also thinking about.

Yeah I think the Bird has a great point here. I have become super-sensitive to the number of folks cutting in front of me in little BMWs and the like only to clamp down the binders quickly and make a quick turn, requiring me to clamp the brakes down just to avoid them and change my underwear :eek:

I don't want to go "too far" either but have you ever seen one of these cars after it's been in a wreck? Not pretty. I think I will make "the juice" the next upgrade - what the heck most of the guys did it back in the late 40s and 50s anyway, so it is a traditional swap. So is the 39 trans with synchro gears which I am also thinking about.

Yeh, my buddy with the '35 never lost a V8 club point in shows for doing the brake update either....

;):quote:

where does it all end?? i think the juice brakes will just have to wait unitl the beast is running and i cant see the road any more through the floor.....however i am making my new replacement steel floor boards and trans tunnel all removable so that i can get access to everything from the top in the future.....i have the floor boards and trans tunnel all cut and fitted and now i just have to make the structure that it will all sit on.....i am on schedule to pull the engine this winter

where does it all end?? i think the juice brakes will just have to wait unitl the beast is running and i cant see the road any more through the floor.....however i am making my new replacement steel floor boards and trans tunnel all removable so that i can get access to everything from the top in the future.....i have the floor boards and trans tunnel all cut and fitted and now i just have to make the structure that it will all sit on.....i am on schedule to pull the engine this winter

HEY HEY HEY, I just plugged the holes in my Flintstone mobile Camper....Jed's Clamper....

it WAS a wholey terror....:lol: