Toe shims

pcf_mark

Had to change my diaper today after the rear toe shims slipped out of position. I got off the gas and the car went into the oncoming lane! I had them wired together to I still have them. What is the secret to keeping these in position anyway? The nut and cotter pine are still in place.

Thanks.

There is a long cotter pin that should go thru the frame pocket, thru the shims, and out the other side of the pocket. With this pin in place, I don't see how they could fall out.

Hmm - I have never see this cotter pin on this or other cars. If there are holes safety wire sounds like the final solution. Thanks!

I must have been thinking when I put the shims in because they are wired arm so I still have the correct ones! I put them back in and tightend the bolt very, very tight.

I did not see any place a cotter pin could be used. Can I get a hint?

The frames on the 63-70 didn't have the hole for the long cotter pin because the used 2 hole shims,requiring the front bolt to be removed to reshim. If you have an pre 70 you can drill the frame for the cotter pins and use the slotted shims. They shouldn't come out then.

Look for the head of the pin 2" up from the frame bottom, left of the tire.
34a79b6b728c4b.jpg

OH! Now I get it! One per side, bend over the ends and the shims are secure. Nice idea.

Thanks for the photo.

OH! Now I get it! One per side, bend over the ends and the shims are secure. Nice idea.

Thanks for the photo.

AS I recall...it's one per side, long SOB....through both bunches of shims and out the other side....I dunno if you can get in there with two pins or not....Hell for that matter, kind of bubba but you can use a long piece of wire...like 12+ ga from electricals, and loop it around....NO??

Thanks for the photo.

AS I recall...it's one per side, long SOB....through both bunches of shims and out the other side....I dunno if you can get in there with two pins or not....Hell for that matter, kind of bubba but you can use a long piece of wire...like 12+ ga from electricals, and loop it around....NO??

If you enlarged the hole, you could get 2 pins in, but no need for that.

Just a loose 12g wire will be difficult to get in there because you would have to fish it blindly through the shims. Too much of a hassle, Just use the long cotter pins and I think you will be fine.