NASCAR Upper A Arms?

CrossedFlags77

While cruising Ebay I found some extremely inexpensive tubular a-arms from some stock cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UPPER-A-ARM-9-3-4-X-3-4-OFFSET-NASCAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5ace0f501eQQitemZ390004166686QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looking at them, the length to the ball joint is only about an 1/8" or so from stock which would just mean more initial camber. Also the cross-shaft mounting dimension is off 11/16 of an inch but it would be pretty easy to mill out the extra material needed and run a small spacer to fill the gap. You can also get different offsets to provide more or less caster. Sound like a good idea, or am I missing something? At $6 a pop it can't really be a bad buy.

I THINK they mean they have just ONE of them, didn't say R or L, and from the other listings, it don't seem like they have others....

wonder if it's just leftover experimental stuff...?? dunno....

:fishing:

They have alot of them. You would have to get a matching pair of length and opposite offset but they do have them. I was thinking since they are probably completely flat you could buy two identical ones and just run one upside down if they don't have an opposite offset pair.

Most of the sets are indeed staggered/shorter and longer arms. Waste fo money and the screw in balljoints all have the wrong taper for the spindle.

Most of the sets are indeed staggered/shorter and longer arms. Waste fo money and the screw in balljoints all have the wrong taper for the spindle.

I agree. corvette ball joints from what I understand are corvette specific.

I agree. corvette ball joints from what I understand are corvette specific.

Why did GM do that shit??? I heard that some early Chebby used them though....not sure which one...

:(

The Corvette ball joint taper is not vette specific.
The taper is 1,5" per foot, there are many other balljoints out there that use that. Problem is, most of those screw in balljoints use a Dodge?? taper some are Pinto style.
The early Impala used the same suspension pieces.

The taper is 1,5" per foot, there are many other balljoints out there that use that. Problem is, most of those screw in balljoints use a Dodge?? taper some are Pinto style.

Having owned several early A body GM's over the years....'64-72, I wonder why they just didn't use those parts for the 63-82 vettes.....

:surrender:

Isn't a reamer around 40 dollars? You would still be ahead vs buying a set made for corvette

Ah wasn't thinking about the screw in type of joint. What about the 3 hole mount on the upper? Corvette specific? I see most other GM joints have 4 holes. Lowers came in some Chevy trucks didn't they?

Trucks were press in, F bodies, A bodies...most of them are press in too. S10, press in...others...not 100% sure. Never saw a threaded balljoint being used on a GM car.