Steering wheel vibration on 85 Vette

hil

1985 Vette, auto, with 53k miles. Tires only have about 350 miles on them. Vibration in steering wheel at almost all speeds but very noticable after 50. Sometimes it smooths out and you wouldnt even think that there was any vibration. Could be cruising at 60 or so, vibration comes and goes somtimes. Tire pressure at 35 psi. 17X9.5 z06 replica wheels. Tires are Falken 275/40zr17.
I had a full 4 wheel ailigment, balanced all four wheels, installed new shocks, new rotors and pads in the front.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Get the car in the air, rear suspension loaded to eliminate any driveline vibrations from suspension being unloaded.....spin the tires/wheels and look at the outer edge.....if necessary let air out of them....fire up engine and toss into first gear watch rear tires.....anything outta round??

DEFECTIVE deflated tires tend to look funky and twisted on the sides and lumpy on the tread...NOT round and smooth like a woman's butt....

maybe, obviously check for the rims are round/concentric/unbent....

:devil:

When you say "Could be cruising at 60 or so, vibration comes and goes somtimes" do you mean that the vibration comes and goes at steady speed or the vibration is speed dependant?

The vibration comes and goes at given speed. It could be at 60, 65, 70 or at 75. Doesnt matter what speed. I could be holding that speed for awhile and its find, then it starts to vibrate.

Get the front wheels off the ground and check them for runout and wobble. When you get a vibration that comes and goes at a specific speed, it could be (for example), two slightly bent wheels going in and out of phase.

Don't know for sure but it's easy to check.

Hi

Quick check is to swap front wheels to back and vise versa.( if the tire sizes are the same )

Sounds very much like wheel vibration anyway.

Rgds. Günther

Hi

Quick check is to swap front wheels to back and vise versa.( if the tire sizes are the same )

Sounds very much like wheel vibration anyway.

Rgds. Günther

Yeh, keep on the same side though....just front to rear, no X over like old daze....good thought above there....

I still think it's tires.....some funky crap over the years....

:surrender:

PROBLEM SOLVED!
I reinstalled the original wheels/tires and she rides as smooth as glass.

Freeking TIRES:bonkers::hissyfit::flash:

I not surprised, what brand/type were the offending tires???

I bet Goodyear.....do they make Falken??.....

:mad:

Last edited: