Corner weighting: Alternate methods?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I've been getting the ride height squared away on the car lately, but the question of corner weights always pops into my head. Outside of spending a fortune on scales (or trying to find a local shop with the equipment), are there any homebrew methods to get the suspension in the ballpark?

thanks,
Mike

I think I read in racecar engineering about a mumford beam or something to that extent once. They were pivoting a car on one side using that (described in text), scales sound a lot easier to use.

I don't think you are going to beat the scale method. I had to do a similar 4 corner measurement at work and found mechanical bathroom scales at Lowes for $6.00 each. 4 of those and some 2x10 and your set for less than $50.

I don't think you are going to beat the scale method. I had to do a similar 4 corner measurement at work and found mechanical bathroom scales at Lowes for $6.00 each. 4 of those and some 2x10 and your set for less than $50.

I thought about buying a couple more scales and then making a (ratio'd) lever-arm setup to measure each corner. Is this similar to what you're saying, or am I off base?

That is exactly what I am describing. The scales have a capacity of 350lbs so you could use the 2x10 peices to get a 3:1 ratio at each wheel.

The other quick way is to level the car is the way low budget oval track guys quickly wedge a car. Jack the rear up by the diff in the center until the rear wheels come off the ground and measure (the car will be sitting on the front springs). Then the opposite.