what is the best chemical stripper?

Shirley1978

147_b.jpg

i used this to try and strip my t tops, but it only removes a few layers of paint at a time. my car has been repainted, so it has lots of layers of paint.. what do you guys suggest? i bought the spray can because i figured i didnt need much to strip the t tops, but i thought wrong.. :crap:

so what do you guys use?

That aircraft stripper that they sell at AutoZone or Advanced Auto is some nasty stuff - $8 for the spray can and that should be enough for two T-tops.

Water is fine, I've used this stuff a few times but on SMC / fiberglass I would wash it off with soap and water (dish soap).... and let the panels dry and "bake" in the sun for a day or two....

I prefer the razor blade stripping method. Should work really good on the T-tops (no curves).... do you have the stainless trim around the edges ? That is not easy to remove, be careful not to bend it....

I do not like the stainless/chrome either but without any trim it really is butt ugly and the edge of the fiberglass panel is not protected at all.... the black rubber surrounds for the glass tops seem to fit, that's likely what I'm going to use to replace the stainless.... now if it's a chrome bumper... different story...

completly agree.. i dont care much for the rear trim either.. im probobly going to use something like what you are talking about.. some universal rubber molding.. we'll see what happens..

I do not like the stainless/chrome either but without any trim it really is butt ugly and the edge of the fiberglass panel is not protected at all.... the black rubber surrounds for the glass tops seem to fit, that's likely what I'm going to use to replace the stainless.... now if it's a chrome bumper... different story...
Ha, stainless shmainless - my T tops are steel! No trim, no fiberglass edges :yahoo:

Shirley, go to Eastwood's site and have a look at their "paint and powdercoat stripper". It wouldn't be much use for the car body but for parts you could remove, like your T tops, it could be what you want. That stuff will eat anything off and is neutralised with water - not even neutralised really, just washed off. The stripper is reusable too...