Jim Stabe's wide body LT1 powered MGB

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
This is Jim Stabe's MGB that has been undergoing a series of transformations since 1972. A long time ago this car was a turbocharged Buick 215 V8 with a Muncie and a Jag IRS. What follows is his project post:

Owner: Jim Stabe
City: San Diego
Car Model: 1966 MGB Roadster

Engine: 1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 with Advanced Induction ported heads and cam, 11.2:1 compression, Comp Cams roller rockers, 54 mm throttle body and 30 lb injectors.

Cooling: 17" x 31" S10 aluminum radiator with two 14" Zirgo 2,400 cfm fans

Exhaust: Block hugger headers with 2 1/2" pipes joining into a 3" pipe behind the transmission. Flowmaster 50 series muffler mounted crosswise at the rear of the car (different than pictures show)

Transmission: T56 6 speed from the Camaro

Rear Axle: C4 Corvette with 3.73 posi

Front Susp.: C4 Corvette with QA1 coilovers

Rear Susp.: C4 Corvette with QA1 coilovers

Brakes:
(master) Wilwood balance bar setup
(front) 13" C4 Corvette rotors and calipers
(rear) 12" C4 Corvette rotors and calipers

Wheels/Tires: 17 x 9 1/2" front, 17 x 11 rear Corvette ZR1 wheels. Tires will probably be either Kuhmo Victoracer or Nitto NT05 275-40-17 front and 315-35-17 rear.

Body Mods: Too many to mention but the biggies are: cut down the center and widened 11" and complete tube frame integrated with unibody. There is less than 300 lbs of MG metal left in the car.

Interior: Hand made dash with 5" and 2 5/8" Autometer gauges, Modified Honda Prelude seats

Electrical: From scratch with a Painless chassis harness and much modified LT1 fuel injection harness for the engine.

This is my project that I have been working on since 2001. I've owned the car since I got out of the Navy in 1972. It is a 1966 model and the first thing I did back then was put a 215 Buick all aluminum V8 in it with a Muncie and a Jag independent rear end. The engine eventually got changed for a 215 Olds Jetfire that was turbocharged. The car was featured in the original Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Guide. I drove it for about 10 years and had a mishap that crunched the front. I didn't have a good place to work on it then and I sold the drivetrain and just kept the body. The car sat until 2001 when I decided to redo the car using C4 Corvette suspension and an LT1 engine and 6 speed trans from a Z28 Camaro. The last time I narrowed the jag rear slightly to fit under the MG fenders, this time I widened the car (11") to fit over the Corvette suspension. There is less than 300 lbs of original MG steel left in the car - I have fabricated everything. It has a steel tube frame that is welded into what is left of the original monocoque. When I get done it should weigh somewhere around 2,300 lbs and the engine should produce somewhere around 425 hp. A 500 hp Viper has a power to weight ratio of 6.8:1, this should be 5.4:1. It will roll on 9.5" wide x17" front wheels and 11" x17" rears. I am at the point where I have to make new rear fenders with slight bulges to cover the tires and other various new body panels. I built a helve hammer, power shrinker and an English wheel to do the metal work - time now to start beating on some sheet metal.

Attachments

• 1_04,_01D.JPG
    1_04,_01D.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1_04,_01E.JPG
    1_04,_01E.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 26
  • 3_11_2001A.jpg
    3_11_2001A.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 6-16-08_004.jpg
    6-16-08_004.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Bottom3_(Medium).jpg
    Bottom3_(Medium).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
Wow what a lot of work. Those pics do show clearly what junk those cars are, there is no structure in that tub at all, it's all just a single sheet of metal stamped in a shape... I don't see any reinforcements or whatever over the entire cut.

Wow what a lot of work. Those pics do show clearly what junk those cars are, there is no structure in that tub at all, it's all just a single sheet of metal stamped in a shape... I don't see any reinforcements or whatever over the entire cut.

:rofl::rofl::fishing: True, but a old friend took his Brit Letter car similar to that, welded up some replacement sheetmetal in Anna's garage, teaching himself how to MIG weld, slopped some paint on it, and drove the damn thing without fail from Wash Dc to the Prudhoe Bay national park, took a pix of him and the overloaded car at the park sign, and drove back.....

he is the guy on my site there, that has the old Flower mill.....Kemp's Mill in Williamsport Md.....

:smash::smash::eek::thumbs:

There's a lot of work left for whoever wants to "rebuild" one of these... lotsa room for improvement...

MGB bodies were about the same on the junk scale as any 60's body on frame car structurally (including Corvettes).

That car is not going to be junk when it's done. Not only has he done an incredible job on the car he made his own tools to fabricate/form metal parts.

Do you have more pics? i would like to see some of the metal shaping work.

you talking about the frame? I agree. what the hell is holding it together? some wimpy 2x2 box iron?