Timing Light

Stpman

Looking to get a dial back timing light, what is the bet one to get, Sears (OTC), Actron, digital?

Steve

They are all pretty good. The Sears dial back usually goes on sale in Dec for Xmas. I have one, but sometimes the leads unplug and can be annoying. I would probably get another type if I did it again.

They are all pretty good. The Sears dial back usually goes on sale in Dec for Xmas. I have one, but sometimes the leads unplug and can be annoying. I would probably get another type if I did it again.

You mean it unplugs at the light handle?? Duck tape.:p

RTV overnight cure is less mess with goo melting, and just cut it off if wires need work....outside the connector not inside like it was really permanent or something.....

I was reading up a while back on dial back lights. Complaint was that there was some kind of delay and inaccuracy above 2500. Basically they were no good for working on cars with dizzy's. Anyone know if it still a problem? The old sears unit was said to be the only dialback tested which was accurate.

Here's a link to some of the discussion on Chevytalk.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/173877/

I was reading up a while back on dial back lights. Complaint was that there was some kind of delay and inaccuracy above 2500. Basically they were no good for working on cars with dizzy's. Anyone know if it still a problem? The old sears unit was said to be the only dialback tested which was accurate.

Here's a link to some of the discussion on Chevytalk.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/173877/

I DO have to say I have found the Sears unit spot on. Good point.

Some of these damned things get all funky when you have a MSD or similar box. I know that my facom and equus ones both don't work properly. Have to turn dial back off.

Some of these damned things get all funky when you have a MSD or similar box. I know that my facom and equus ones both don't work properly. Have to turn dial back off.

I have not used my Sears dial back with MSD multi spark crap. But, with everything else it has been "spot on".

Now every one here knows how I feel about MSD crap. BUT-- I 've been thinking or going with MSD Dizzy with --either Mallory or Accel multi spark boxes. Thanks to TimAT I have a wiring diagram to do just that. Also, thanks to a crushed Acura TL, I will have the money to to do it.:smash:

Did you ever purchase one? If not you can borrow mine Steve, I believe I have the one listed below. Equus 5568 Pro-Timing Light

5568.jpg