I think my TH400 Shift Control Cable just passed away...!

gbak

Of course it happend when I was far (400 km) away from home...
On the annual Summer Meeting here in Sweden.

What happend was that the parking position doesn't work anymore, and it is difficult to lock the reverse gear.

I took a look under the car and found the shift cables end was bending out when trying to lock the TH400 in parking position.
A small 2" long thin sleeve, steering the cable was loose, and had moved forward 1/4"
After I pushed it back all the shifting worked fine for about 45 min, then it came back again.

Is it possible to fix the shift cable's sleeve or is it just to scrap the cable?

Just to give me something more to think about, there was a new exiting :eek: ticking sound comming up 100 km from home.
It seems to come from the back somewhere, it was difficult to locate the sound with all that noise from my engine.
The ticking came randomly, and me and my friend was guessing of a bad yoke/u-joint/bearing.
We decided to drive the car slowly heading home.
If the needles was gone we couldn't do anything on the expressway anyway and we was only 30 min from home.
Suddenly there was an accident and the trafic stopped, and now the sound increased and it became also a lot louder.
Oh, oh, not good!
And the car was also nearly impossible to steer, could it be a loose wheel or a broken front bearing?
I stopped the car and guess what we found? (in heavily rain of course, what else could you expect in this country. We must be second best after England....)

The crank damper and pulley was hanging on the very last thread of the crank bolt!
If I had been just a little unlucky it could have goone right thru the hood!
So after torquing the bolt we could at least get home!
Guess if I was nervous on the expessway with all it's heavy traffic?

How can the bolt get loose after three years of driving?

Hi Gunnar :hi:

To me it sounds like you were lucky you found the loose bolt in time. Locktite is your best friend sometimes ....

I thought I did Loctite the bolt but maby I forgot it this time.
Anyway, I have some Loctite medium in my garage.
Must check the threads on the bolt also.