What a DIFFERENCE!

Jsup

Went out for a couple hours with the new gears. Now, forget the typical "seat of pants" because that's just a bullshit measurement anyway. I went from 3.07 to 3.73

Let's stick to FACTUAL stuff.

The tune has been a bit off. The car stumbled and bucked off the line, it stumbled and bucked at highway speed, it poped lean.

Now, believe it or not, the new rear solved the stumbling problem off the line, that shows the value of setting up the right engine with the right gears. Also, the lean popping has almost disappeared. There is no more bucking and stumbling at highway speeds either.

The car ran almost like a factory car. Well, not EXACTLY, but a lot like it. Smoother, more driveable. I never thought the rear would cure all the other problems. Unbelievable.

Still some work to do on the tune, but much more driveable.

Keep in mind the original L98 was happy to run at 1500 RPMs highway gears. The cam was set up for that, the intake. NOW the new motor likes to run 2200 RPMs and better. The new gears let it do that.

My 336 factory munice ratio is what's in there now, with that .68-.70 o/drive, it cruises at 2300-2500 all the time,, instead of the 4 grand the thing typically did before....thing is, I dunno how your car would drive as my 307RR in the '87 remained stock as did the engine....

curious how long the 1st gear holds when in traffic, mine left into second and a bog in this car before getting across the street, but in the '87 it was never a issue...

:cool:

My 336 factory munice ratio is what's in there now, with that .68-.70 o/drive, it cruises at 2300-2500 all the time,, instead of the 4 grand the thing typically did before....thing is, I dunno how your car would drive as my 307RR in the '87 remained stock as did the engine....

curious how long the 1st gear holds when in traffic, mine left into second and a bog in this car before getting across the street, but in the '87 it was never a issue...

What first gear?

What first gear?

I"m sorry I thought you had a auto tranny, 700 r4.....

I had a 700 in this '72 also, long story of messing around for some 20 years....curious what other guys have had...

What first gear?

I had a 700 in this '72 also, long story of messing around for some 20 years....curious what other guys have had...

I do have an auto. It's in and out of first in a hurry.

Went out for a couple hours with the new gears. Now, forget the typical "seat of pants" because that's just a bullshit measurement anyway. I went from 3.07 to 3.73

Let's stick to FACTUAL stuff.

The tune has been a bit off. The car stumbled and bucked off the line, it stumbled and bucked at highway speed, it poped lean.

Now, believe it or not, the new rear solved the stumbling problem off the line, that shows the value of setting up the right engine with the right gears. Also, the lean popping has almost disappeared. There is no more bucking and stumbling at highway speeds either.

The car ran almost like a factory car. Well, not EXACTLY, but a lot like it. Smoother, more driveable. I never thought the rear would cure all the other problems. Unbelievable.

Still some work to do on the tune, but much more driveable.

Keep in mind the original L98 was happy to run at 1500 RPMs highway gears. The cam was set up for that, the intake. NOW the new motor likes to run 2200 RPMs and better. The new gears let it do that.

Sounds like the gears are more suited to the "power band" of your cam now.

What first gear?

I do have an auto. It's in and out of first in a hurry.

My '87 was in the days I had way too many other projects, and so I never played with it much, just repairs, and a chip/cal pak.....except for intake mani, nothing engine related...

obviously a torque build L98, so 1-2 never seemed so evil with it, what amazed me was that 700 in my '72 here never did do anything right for me, first gear was useless, and this engine is a cammed up L98 maybe as well still consider it that way, one step wilder than a ZZ4, it never appreciated that RPM drop, so I went to a 200 4r ......:clobbered: