Spark plugs

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
What spark plugs do you run? Experiences good or bad.

I am not so thrilled with A/C R44T in the Vette. I am thinking R45T might run better on the street. The motorhome seems to foul these (R44T)real quick.

I have heard, and Lars uses these too, that Autolites may be better.

I am not that impressed with A/C Rapidfires either.:clobbered:

Can you use/should you use the TS extended tip in these old 350/454 engines. Better? Worse? Clearence issues?:huh:

Champions suck. Lawnmower plugs.:cussing:

I like Autolites better, always use the hotter plug anyway, even in AC.
That will also help any fouling issue.

I know full well this sounds stupid, and damn if I know why....but it seems safest to run GM, F, CH, plugs in their respective brands.....import car brands, I stick with country of origin....had my oddball experiences over the years, I fail to see any FM about plugs, but damn if I know why, except CHINA stuck again???

:stirpot:

Used to run those same A/Cs, but now I use NGK FR4s and they run cleaner, longer, stronger.
I won't run Champions in anything I own.
My other preferrred brands are Bosch or Accel, I always had good performance with those in my bikes.
Did I mention Champions are crap?

John

PS Champions suck.

I used AC R43T and switched to Autolite AP25 about a month back. The Autolites seam to give a better idle. But that just might be because they are new plugs. There doesn't appear to be a difference at cruise or WOT. The AC's weren't fouled.

Bird -
The reason I recommend the standard Autolite plugs is as follows:

Many of the new-design "exotic metal" plugs are very good. In fact, they are so good that they will burn "clean" in spite of a poorly tuned engine, so you cannot "read" the plug.

Many of us are in an on-going state of engine tuning. If you want to be able to "read" your plugs to determine mixture and operating conditions, you need to run a standard, old-fashioned resistor plug. Only these, due in part to their old design and inherent shortcomings, will accuratly reflect engine operating conditions. Once you have your engine completely "dialed in," you can certainly install one of the many excellent "exotic metal" plugs for reliability and performance. But I always run the standard Autolites so I can easily identify problems and tuning parameters in a plug that provides very good overall performance.

Lars

Bird -
The reason I recommend the standard Autolite plugs is as follows:

Many of the new-design "exotic metal" plugs are very good. In fact, they are so good that they will burn "clean" in spite of a poorly tuned engine, so you cannot "read" the plug.

Many of us are in an on-going state of engine tuning. If you want to be able to "read" your plugs to determine mixture and operating conditions, you need to run a standard, old-fashioned resistor plug. Only these, due in part to their old design and inherent shortcomings, will accuratly reflect engine operating conditions. Once you have your engine completely "dialed in," you can certainly install one of the many excellent "exotic metal" plugs for reliability and performance. But I always run the standard Autolites so I can easily identify problems and tuning parameters in a plug that provides very good overall performance.

Lars

Thank you for the response Lars. I follow the logic, and these "Irridium" plugs in the newer engines do run 100,000 miles, which is amazing. But I am somewhat dissappointed in the Rapidfires in the 81 with HEI. The cheapos seem to idle better. Maybe I need to play with the gaps more at 8.5CR.

I used to think Champions were shit. But, by accident, I found my engine liked Champions the best. Go figure.:hunter:

Was it a Chrysler product??? IF so, that mirrors my olde Chrysler buddy for decades now....like I said, dunno why...

he got no idea either....anecdotal information, I can't see there can possibly be any diff between brands for the same plugs....but there seems to be...

piece of ceramic, a point, and gap, and WTF.....:crap::surrender:

I used to think Champions were shit. But, by accident, I found my engine liked Champions the best. Go figure.:hunter:

Was it a Chrysler product??? IF so, that mirrors my olde Chrysler buddy for decades now....like I said, dunno why...

he got no idea either....anecdotal information, I can't see there can possibly be any diff between brands for the same plugs....but there seems to be...

piece of ceramic, a point, and gap, and WTF.....:crap::surrender:

No, it's a Chevy 400 SBC.

The engine decided this I didn't. I was running ACs -idled weird. Went to get new plugs, all they had were Champs. Going on run next day, needed them so in they went. Been using them ever since. Damn Chevy loves them--go figure.