Dura-Block sanding blocks

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I want to get some of these blocks but of course, can't get them out here. I don't mind buying them from the US but don't really want to buy a kit of them if I'll only use 2 or 3 of the pieces.

Without being able to hold them or look at them, it's a little hard to visualise by the web page description, so can anyone suggest the numbers of the Dura-Blocks that would be best suited to a C3 body shape?

Also, can they be used effectively with ordinary wet & dry or are they better suited to the adhesive backed sand paper?

I want to get some of these blocks but of course, can't get them out here. I don't mind buying them from the US but don't really want to buy a kit of them if I'll only use 2 or 3 of the pieces.

Without being able to hold them or look at them, it's a little hard to visualise by the web page description, so can anyone suggest the numbers of the Dura-Blocks that would be best suited to a C3 body shape?

Also, can they be used effectively with ordinary wet & dry or are they better suited to the adhesive backed sand paper?

Wayne i only found use for shorter blocks out of the 5 piece set. The dry paper had a sticky back and worked well,the wet paper i just cut a little bigger so i could grip it,did not have any problems.

I have the large set, and use them all. I don't use them for wet-sanding, as I have dedicated blocks for that. The longer blocks work great for rear decks, doors and hoods.

Last edited:
I have the set and use them all. I have not begun to wet sand yet. I have been using adhesive backed paper with good luck so far.

I have 4 or 5 of these but I use the shorter blocks more than the longer ones, those are for flat surfaces and except the doors there are not too many flat surfaces on the later C3s.
The common 8.5x11 sandpaper sheets work fine with these blocks, the longest block I have is 11" long so I cut the 8.5x11 sheet into two pieces. For the shorter blocks I cut the sheet in quarters.

Thanks for the input guys. Tell me though, do the long Dura-Blocks replace a sanding board like this one:
yhst-22591680071657_2057_35181416

Last time I was in the panel supply shop, I'd asked them if they had a sanding board. They had no idea what I was talking about so when I went in today, I took a picture with me. They pulled out a plastic one by 3M and I was all set to buy it until they told me it was (equivalent to) $92 US!!!

Last edited:
I just bought a 6 piece kit (7 if you include the bar of soap) and a tear drop shaped block from Eastwood. Along with a couple of rolls of PSA backed sandpaper, they actually worked out a little cheaper to buy from, including the shipping...

Thanks for the input guys. Tell me though, do the long Dura-Blocks replace a sanding board like this one:

The wooden sticks I meantioned in the PM are far superior then that and a
heck of a lot cheaper. :wink:

yhst-22591680071657_2057_35181416

Two different uses. The wood board will not follow mild convex shapes like roof and hood panels. Even the longest Dura-block will readily follow gentle curves.

I have a 6 piece set and have used them all. I really like the round log shaped for some of the curved areas or small areas that need some shaping. I have a couple of the wood boards and they really don't work as well on our cars in my opinion.

I haven't really done any body work for years and the last time I was doing any, I don't think Dura-Blocks were around.

I've used the sanding boards before so I know what they're like and was hoping some of you guys could provide me with a comparrison for the Dura-Blocks - which you've done. Accordingly, there's a set in transit between the USA and Saudi as we speak, so they should be there for when I get back from vacation.

Thanks guys... :thumbs: