Removing Driveshaft

Criste

I'm removing the driveshaft from my 1982 and having trouble determining bolt size used on the straps that secure the universal joint to the differential yoke. It looks like a torx type bolt, but the ones I bought to remove the straps on the half-shafts don't fit. Anyone know the correct size?

Thanks, Jerry

Dunno for sure, but every once in a while GM would toss in a stupid 12 point bolt, it would sorta look like a MALE torx head what with 12 points on it....but it's NOT, maybe that's what you have???

I have always tossed them and stuck on 6 point bolts, .....

:gurney:

It's an inverted torx, PITA to find the right socket. Do not use a 12pnt socket, you'll round them off. Because of this, I replaced all of them w/ 12 pnt NAS (aircraft) hardware, never that prob. again.

I'm removing the driveshaft from my 1982 and having trouble determining bolt size used on the straps that secure the universal joint to the differential yoke. It looks like a torx type bolt, but the ones I bought to remove the straps on the half-shafts don't fit. Anyone know the correct size?

Thanks, Jerry

If they are the ones I think they are, I use a deep 1/4" 12 point socket, with about 3' of 3/8 extensions stacked to twist them from way up front.

Last edited:

Thanks, Jerry

If they are the ones I think they are, I use a deep 1/4" 12 point socket, with about 3' of 3/8 extensions stacked to twist them from way up front.

Bird, that's what I would have sworn I seen on some shark at least once, 12 point bolts, take a 12 point socket, and 1/4-5/16 shank....but like I say, as I recall my 3/8 12 point socket I bought years ago for Pontiac Fuel pumps was the tool of choice....

:smash:

Thanks, Jerry

Thats what i use to get to the rear strap bolts. a universal 12 point socket works real good on these bolts.

Thanks for the quick response from everyone. A 1/4" 12 point socket on 8-10" of extensions did the trick. Broke the bolts for the trailings arms loose, so they'll be coming off next.

Thanks again for all the help.