Stock f-41 springs vs VBP 550’s

68L71

I have my front apart and was trying to decide what springs to put back in. I thought the 550 where supposed to be shorter but my when I dug out my old f-41 springs they look identical in every way. I thought if I cut down my stock springs I wouldn't be going stiffer than 550. Any suggestions on how much to cut off? It seems like if I cut off a whole coil it would sit nice in the pocket but maybe that is too much.

Here's my '79 with stock rims and 255-60 tires and the 550lbs coils from VBP:

IMG_6477cccCustom.jpg

Here's the same car with 245-60 tires instead... same rims.... coils settled a little in the past three years... it sure is low enough for me:

214811fc7e3daef.jpg

What ride height do you want and what was your fender to ground measurement with the F41 springs ? With the 245-60 tires mine is at roughly 26.75" - I'm guessing 27" with the stock 255-60 tires

Last edited:
I think F-41's are 550lbs?

F-41 springs:

6aee13a2.jpg

I have the 450lbs in the 81. As I recall, the VBandP 550's are 1" shorter (free heigth) before install.

I have the 450lbs in the 81. As I recall, the VBandP 550's are 1" shorter (free heigth) before install.

I put in 460 VBP sproings about 15 years ago, the ride height remained the same, so I just left it, not wanting to tear it out....upon moving here, I just as glad I did, really.....am tempted to cut them when I get around to the upper inner CAB job the urethanes have been tired for some time now...

yet another Undecided....

:eek:

Hmmm I don't know why but I thought f-41 was 460…I looked it up and everyone is correct that f-41 is 550. I think I bought the vbp 550's to lower the car as they stated but my factory f-41 springs are the exact same height as the vbp springs. They must mean they are shorter than the small block springs.

The front fender lip height was around 27 with the 550's and I would like 26 and 27 front and back. Maybe I will cut the vbp 550's ½ coil and see what happens. I can always put back in my factory springs if it is too low.

I have 16 wheels and so far the only decent tires I've seen are 235 R55 or 235 R60. I currently have the R55 and they are much smaller diameter than the factory size, hence the need to lower the car. Maybe the 60 series tire would look better.

I have 16 wheels and so far the only decent tires I've seen are 235 R55 or 235 R60. I currently have the R55 and they are much smaller diameter than the factory size, hence the need to lower the car. Maybe the 60 series tire would look better.

If the rim is 8" wide then 255-50-16 is a pretty good fit. There are a few good V or Z -rated performance tires available in that size.

If the rim is 8" wide then 255-50-16 is a pretty good fit. There are a few good V or Z -rated performance tires available in that size.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that size.

I have 235 60 15 with 550 up front and 360 in the rear on my BB. Ride height in the front is 26 and 27.5 in the rear. If I go any lower than 27.5, my half shafts will not lay parallel.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

I cut a little more than a half coil from each vbp coil. I threw them in and drove it just a bit to settle it and it sits at 25.75 on both sides. I am happy with that. A new problem arose though, at the same time I installed bump steer blocks and the tie rods are too long. I have an account credit at Guldstrand I need to use up so I will get a short set from them.

I finally got my new tie rods and rear spring bolts in and got the car back on the ground. The front is 1" lower than the rear. I am glad I got rid of the big rims with low profile tires.
2404a3aa2fea286f.jpg

2404a3aa2ff80569.jpg

On a bad note my 1980's garage door opener fell from the visor the other day and I didn't notice the button was dislodged. It was on the passenger floor when I started the car and I guess it tripped the door, of course I couldn't hear the door or see it out the back window. It came down just on the back edge of the top while I was backing out, because it is old it has no safety reverse either. I should replace the doors and lifters but three nice doors and lifters are spendy. It scratched the hell out of the top.
2404a3aa2ff06442.jpg

Last edited:
Love the stance. Bummer about the scratches. Are you going to have the top resprayed? Sure looks good with the hard top one. Always liked the hard top lines better than the coupes.

Love the stance. Bummer about the scratches. Are you going to have the top resprayed? Sure looks good with the hard top one. Always liked the hard top lines better than the coupes.

Thank you, I am happy with the way it looks. I prefer a hardtop convertible to a coupe for the C3 also. I rarely take off the top. I will have it fixed, probably over the winter. I wanted to replace the rear window anyway; I will remove all the trim so it shouldn't be too expensive to have it painted.