IMG_6951a.jpg
2006:
100_1758Small.jpg
100_2268Small.jpg
2007:
IM004281small.jpg

2008:

IMG_0081small.jpg

the only two things that I have not done myself was the 383 short block assembly and a 4wheel alignment....

I really like how your paint turned out, I'll have to do that someday too...paint my own car. I've never done that before.

I really like how your paint turned out, I'll have to do that someday too...paint my own car. I've never done that before.

I never painted a car before. I was disgusted with the local shops trying to rip me off so I went to HomeDepot and got a compressor.
The paint is now over a year old. There are a few imperfections, nothing is flaking off but I should have sprayed two more coats of clear over the metal flakes, I'm scared to wetsand more to remove the little orange peel that is left.... overall: compressor, guns, hoses, dryer, material (primer/sealer/base/clear) cost me $2000 - half of what the lowest quote was.... it's not perfect but way better than the $400 Maaco crap that was on the car before I scraped it off .... :nuts:

compressor - check
gun - check
dryer - check
hoses - check
materials - check (from the firewall and other stuff I painted, also got a couple of quarts of black base and that montecarlo magic thats on the 77)

I just need the skills and a new respirator :)

compressor - check
gun - check
dryer - check
hoses - check
materials - check (from the firewall and other stuff I painted, also got a couple of quarts of black base and that montecarlo magic thats on the 77)

I just need the skills and a new respirator :)

I trust you have the good sense to use a quality repirator. I painted my '69 way back when I was young and stupid (I've since gotten over the young part), and just used a cheap dust mask. I was coughing and sneezing blue paint for a week. Learned my lesson, and I won't make that mistake again. LOL

With modern HVLP guns you really don't have that much overspray but still you should buy the best respirator you can get, the 3M with the two filter cartridges is pretty good - $40.

Last edited:
I trust you have the good sense to use a quality repirator. I painted my '69 way back when I was young and stupid (I've since gotten over the young part), and just used a cheap dust mask. I was coughing and sneezing blue paint for a week. Learned my lesson, and I won't make that mistake again. LOL

I have an organic filter mask (3m) with replaceable cartridges...just need some fresh cartridges for it.

One of these:
6000.jpg

Still a nice lookin paint job! I have no skill or patience for that type of work.

Love that pic of the engine goin in!

I have an organic filter mask (3m) with replaceable cartridges...just need some fresh cartridges for it.

One of these:
6000.jpg

I have painted many cars with that type of mask, but I'd be sure you have very good ventilation...the chemicals in modern paint are pretty nasty.