Need distance from rear bump stop to t-arm pad at rest-C3

daveL82

I'm in the process of doing a rough setup of my rear suspension and need to know what's the typical distance from the bump stop to the t-arm pad. I realize this will be different from car to car but my object is to find the minimum for a lower car so I can set the coilover height (550lbs springs as starting point).

Last edited:
My car is about ride height....and have 2" between tip of the stop snout, and the T-arm pad.....used to be a tad more, but I ran the nutz down a tad on the 8" bolts....360 VBP plastic spring....Bilstein shocks....does ok over our shitty roads, so far...

just set the suspension to the desired ride height and watch if the bump stop is close or even the suspension riding on it, in which case you need to trim it down a little, depending on how stiff the susp. is. I there is a chance of the tire hitting the fender lip I would check to see how far you can go and cut the bump stop so that it doesn't allow contact between tire and lip.

just set the suspension to the desired ride height and watch if the bump stop is close or even the suspension riding on it, in which case you need to trim it down a little, depending on how stiff the susp. is. I there is a chance of the tire hitting the fender lip I would check to see how far you can go and cut the bump stop so that it doesn't allow contact between tire and lip.

Perzactly, I did that with the jack under the wheel got that thing up till the front hurting....noting the snubber was compressed almost a inch, and the tire was about 3/8 inch off the fenders, checked each side....p/o did do nice body work on them flares....

:hi:

I'm a bit worried once I set ride height travel might be too little. Maybe I should rephrase my question: When car is at ride height how much suspesion travle should a allow for (flares give me more clearance than stock)? Car is street driven a track day car with stiffer than stock suspension

I'm a bit worried once I set ride height travel might be too little. Maybe I should rephrase my question: When car is at ride height how much suspesion travle should a allow for (flares give me more clearance than stock)? Car is street driven a track day car with stiffer than stock suspension

I dunno how to express this , but in the '72 manuals is a frame spec chart with all the points on it measured to a flat horizontal line.....when this was all brought up years ago, I measured my fenders to ground like everyone seems to do, fine for a totally stock car....I got pretty nearly the same measurements....+- 1/2 inch or so.....so I measured my frame to the garage floor, dead nutz on to what GM spec'd in the book, so I leave it alone on account of crappy highways, speed bumps, etc around here...about same as most towns/cities/suburbs....

in the rear, like I said, it's damn nearly two inches from the t-arm to the tip of the rubber triangle snubber....

This might be more confusing but, with my halfshafts level, I get 4 1/4 inches from the axle centerline to the tip of the bumpstop. My bumpstops are 1 3/4 inches long.