Air brush users?

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Do we have any on here?
I want to paint the Live Fire flames on the under side of my hood and maybe do a little more air brush work. I have been doing a little research and reading,but would like to get the advice of those that are doing it.

Eastwood has what appears to be a nice set up with everything one would need to get started. It has a compressor,gun,hose,drier, some starter paint and a DVD and some instructions.
Do i need another compressor?
What is a good gun?
Paint recommendations?

I have a Paasche that I bought back in the '80s from a shop on
Panama City Beach. Played with it a little....mostly did model car
stuff with it. It was the gun to have back in the day. Last time
I talked with anyone about that kind of stuff I believe "Iwata" was
the brand everyone was after today.

You can use most any kind of paint in them. I used automotive paint
and model car enamels. Their not as easy to use as one might think.
It takes a lot more skill to successfully use an Airbrush than it does to
use a Regular paint gun. A paint gun you make all your adjustments
then just pull the trigger and go while keeping a your distance on check.
The trigger on an airbrush is more like a joy-stick (at least the one I have)
Your constantly making adjustments as you move the trigger back and forth
and up and down, while also changing your distance. TAKES A LOT OF
PRACTICE to get the hang of it. If your artistic in nature it will come easier
to you.....if your not.....might better stay away from it.

You don't need the tiny air compressor unless to plan on working in a
T-shirt shop. Just put a pressure regulator on the end of the "airbrush"
hose. It is a lot smaller than the one you'd use in the shop.

I would suggest finding some airbrush forums and asking the questions
there.

Not sure what paints you are looking at at Eastwoods, but I would stay away from the Auto Air stuff for now (its water based and has particular procedures for application and curing)
House of Kolor do a good True Fire kit, but its relatively expensive, your best choice is to contact Nate at www.innate.com and speak to him, depending on how much fire you want to do, buying some orange, yellow and white opaque colors, then some jamming clear and a bunch of candy concetrates (you'll need candy red, tangerine and gold) would be cheaper. His Xotics line of paints is high quality and great value for money.
As fas as Airburshes go, you need a good dual action type brush, Iwata, Richpen, Paasche.........take a look at a company called Bear Air.

One word of caution, air brushing takes practice, lots of practice, and True Fire takes more again, I have been doing fire on bikes/helmets/cars for 4 or 5 years and can see how my fire has gotten better the more I do it.
It may be better for you to do the prep work then find an experienced local air brush guy that you can get to come over and paint them for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nick

Not sure what paints you are looking at at Eastwoods, but I would stay away from the Auto Air stuff for now (its water based and has particular procedures for application and curing)
House of Kolor do a good True Fire kit, but its relatively expensive, your best choice is to contact Nate at www.innate.com and speak to him, depending on how much fire you want to do, buying some orange, yellow and white opaque colors, then some jamming clear and a bunch of candy concetrates (you'll need candy red, tangerine and gold) would be cheaper. His Xotics line of paints is high quality and great value for money.
As fas as Airburshes go, you need a good dual action type brush, Iwata, Richpen, Paasche.........take a look at a company called Bear Air.

One word of caution, air brushing takes practice, lots of practice, and True Fire takes more again, I have been doing fire on bikes/helmets/cars for 4 or 5 years and can see how my fire has gotten better the more I do it.
It may be better for you to do the prep work then find an experienced local air brush guy that you can get to come over and paint them for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nick

Good info,thanks for sharing with me. I will definitely look into all the suggestions that you and SMYDA have posted.
Thanks guys :)

If you plan on doing bigger areas like car flames etc then a touch up gun isa lot easier. Mine is an old Binks, but here is a cheapie copy. Will do almost anything an air brush will do.

http://www.slgtools.com/air-touchup-gun-p-35.html

Well one thing i am not sure of with the touch up guns,and i have looked at those, will they spray a small enough pattern for the edge feathering?
I think i will buy some books on this and maybe buy a cheap air brush,and a touch up gun like you have suggested and do some playing around.
This is all new to me,so all suggestions are appreciated :D

Keep it coming guys.

I wouldn't use the touch up gun for the actual body of the flames, just the candy that goes over the top of each layer.

Last edited:
I don't know about the cheapies, but my Binks has a host of tips and needles available for it, so you can go from light fogging to heavy coats with a wide variety of paints or dyes.

Bought it in the early 70's.