Clutch Reservoir?

vette427sbc

Im putting together my 1 ton hydraulic clutch system and was wondering what people were using for the master cylinder reservoir? I heard some use honda ones, but i cant find the specific model/year they use. Searching around, it looks like I could get a reservoir from a motorcycle for pretty cheap, but they are only around 45cc's. Is there a minimum cc/oz I should have for this?

Im taking lots of pictures too, so I should have a nice, detailed write up when its all done :thumbs:

Side note: what kind of fittings do I use for the master to the slave cylinder? can they be picked up at a parts store, or do i need to go to a hydraulic line shop?

Tilton sells remote mount reservoirs. I used one from an old ZF6 (S6-40) clutch master and it's originally a clip on (on the master) style but easily drilled & bolted to the firewall.

I don't remember what fitting it was.

2483c86aaa93c7.jpg

I saw the all of the aftermarket tilton/wilwood etc... reservoirs, but I really dont want to spend $50 for something I could get for significantly less. ebay turned up nothing for the zf, or any honda reservoir, and im pretty sure the local junk yard doesnt have any vettes that they could pull one from.

Im still not sure what the reservoir does though (which could help me in picking a random/universal reservoir out) If a hydraulic system is a closed system, then where is the excess fluid from the reservoir needed?
If it is not closed, (fluid is drawn from the reservoir into the master cylinder when the pedal is pressed) then that would prove that I could get away with one of those 45cc motorcycle reservoirs (which look to be perfect for mounting in tight locations) because a 1.125" cylinder travel (max travel I believe) on the master cylinder, it would draw around 6.8cc's of fluid with the 11/16" bore.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Last edited:
The reservoir is not pressurized. Go to a junk yard and yo should be able to find one easily. Use a rubber tube between the reservoir and the master. I think the Chev truck master uses a 1/4" ID.

Just an update here, I picked up a reservoir off of the front brake from a bike - it looks perfect. The hose end is just a tad bigger than 1/4id, but still fits, and it has a bolt-on style mount. Specifically, i got one from a yamaha R1/R6, but looking at my friends bikes, it looks like the kawi, suzuki, and yamaha reservoirs are all very similar if not the same. all thats left on the project is the slave cylinder bracket- slowly, but surely...