Steering Column ID

DARROW 74

I have came into some vette parts again. With a couple of steering coloumns.
I want to rebuild one and I am trying to find out what year it is. I think its a late c3 or early c4 how can I find out?

Attachments

• steering coloumn 001 (Large).jpg
    steering coloumn 001 (Large).jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 29
  • steering coloumn 002 (Large).jpg
    steering coloumn 002 (Large).jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 16
  • steering coloumn 003 (Small).jpg
    steering coloumn 003 (Small).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16
  • steering coloumn 004 (Large).jpg
    steering coloumn 004 (Large).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 14
Do any of the parts on the column in question have a visible part number?

Look in the "Tech Article" section and find the "Crash Manuals" for C3 and C4.
In those manuals is a parts break down of a steering column. Start comparing
numbers.......Should put you with in a couple of years.

The dimmer switch is on the column, so that eliminates anything before 75/ maybe 76. what year did they take the dimmer off the floor? 77 is on the column, 74 is on the floor. 77 also has the "trigger" below the key you have to push to get the key to the lock position. And that column does not have the reverse lockout arm on it either.

One thing I can tell you is that the steering column is definately NOT a C3 Corvette T&T (1969-1982).

But it does look like a Corvette T&T column so it has to be 1984 or later.
I don't have very good information on the C4 Corvette steering columns. I have a picture of a 1989 T&T and that picture does not show a bracket with a stud sticking out that is attached down by the floor bracket in your picture. So my best guess is a Corvette T&T from 1984 through 1988.

Jim

Looks just like the column I just pulled out of a 84

All the parts match a 84 incuding the lower bearing and when did the splines go away 1977?

I have another one that has all the goodies but has a wider dash mount bracket may not be a vette column I will post a picture soon. Thanks everybody!

Last edited: