Paint problems......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Well due to finances, it seems I ordered some pain off the internet, and wish I didn't.....I used DuPont Nason light gray primer...which went on ok, stayed over a month for several coats as I sanded/worked the finish down to something for base/color coat, I wanted a one step urethane, shoot, sand the runs, reshoot and forget about it.....hell with orange peal whatever, since 2/3 of the cars on the road have it....

anyway, the base/color urethane I got from this Rob Chamberlin fellow is a real bucket of shit....it reacted like CRAZY with the fully cured sun baked primer, that car WAS pretty damn slick, but his paint got into and under the primer, shrunk hell out of it, and any underlying body work, and totally destroyed it.....

so, not only do I NOT trust it was a true urethane, but now I dunno what in hell it WAS...so to take a belt sander and knock it all down to nothing on the back deck and headlights.....then to try various chemicals to remove the paint or sand it all down again and reshoot....

NOW on top of all THAT crap, the following emails explain that it took 3 WEEKS to get the paint....the missing can of reducer makes the second 1/2 of the gallon useless, a subject not covered in the emails...

I will post some other emails in a followup about this dating back to 5/1/09.....

he never did send the money....

www.thepaintguyz.com email [email protected]

28509 Maint St. Reeds Spring Mo. 65757 417-272-9001 he rarely answers the phone, VERY unreliable at any number and I got two of them...

:crap::hissyfit::gurney::censored:

WE AGREED FOR YOU TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE AND RESTORE MY FEEDBACK TO 100% THAT I HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO MAINTAIN,IT TAKES A LITTLE WORK ON YOUR PART WHICH I AREED TO PAY BUT ONLY YOU CAN TALK TO EBAY AND TELL THEM YOU WANT TO RETRACT,AND WITH PROPER CONTACT IT CAN BE DONE,PLEASE DONT THREATEN ME,WE DIDNT DESERVE THIS AND IM ONLY WAITING NOW ON YOU TO GIVE ME WHAT IM PAYING FOR SINCERELY ROB C 417 860 8950

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, GENE <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Xtreme Auto Finishes order
To: [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 2:48 PM

Rob, I thought we had a agreement, but I guess not, I noted the explanation in ebay/PP, and I note it's still a negative on your site feedback, nothing I can do about that.....

but I got no check....

so what gives???

I give it a week, and then I go on all the vette forums, save one, and tell my story, it can go positive or negative....but it's going to be ONE WEEK....period....

CASE CLOSED....

GENE
----- Original Message -----
To: GENE
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 1:16 PM

Thank you. Your paint will ship today. I will get back to you shortly with a UPS tracking number. Your shipment has top priority, it will go before anything else. Thank you XtremeFinishes

--- On Fri, 5/1/09, GENE <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 11:11 AM

OK, I accept, your offer, but I need that paint by Tuesday....been enough time already...

want the car together again, it's a driver, and I"m tired of driving a skeleton...

GENE SLATER
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 11:51 AM
Subject: Xtreme Auto Finishes order

Mr. Slater, Sometimes in the world of business thing go wrong. This has happened in your case. We are not sure where the breakdown ocurred but your order either never reached shipping or was lost after shipping. Either way, we have failed.
Obviously, with our feedback we have worked very hard to prevent errors of this kind from happening. We are (were) quite proud of our 100% positive feedback. Obviously we have failed to maintain that perfect record. However, we can, with your assistance recover that 100% feedback score.
Here is our offer for your trouble and to make up for
our error: We will immediatly refund your $118.99. In addition we will send your Emerald Green paint at no charge to you and send you $100.00 cash for your trouble and effort.
Here is all we ask of you. You must retract your negative feedback. This can be done through ebay but must be done very soon for ebay to withdraw it. If you need help to do this please contact me. Thank you

Your paint has been shipped. Your UPS tracking number is:
1ZW63E900314944184 This number should follow the package begining about 8:00 pm. As soon as you are comfortable that your item is on the way we would appreciate you instituting your end of the bargin. As soon as the ebay problem is cleared up we will issue the $218.99 refund. Thank you, XtremeFinishes

NOW, here is the trick, early last week I talked with him on the phone, he blames the DuPont primer as being the troubles....I can't figger that, as it's a urethane....so when dry should not be affected by much of anything over it....

so he never sent the missing pint of thinner/reducer/whatever they call it....

so then he was supposed to get hold of 'his internet guy' and send a key to the ebay thing that would allow me to remove the negative comment.....

well no such thing happened.....so apparently he is out of touch with reality....

I have BTDT before with crooks right here in town, some ten years ago....

they suffered VERY public embarrassment over many cruise nights....me handing out leaflets to everyone in site, fixed their wagon but good.....

So now to put this on over 'there' and some other sites, and to send him a email with the links....piss on HIM, I win.......

:D:bomb:

1ZW63E900314944184 This number should follow the package begining about 8:00 pm. As soon as you are comfortable that your item is on the way we would appreciate you instituting your end of the bargin. As soon as the ebay problem is cleared up we will issue the $218.99 refund. Thank you, XtremeFinishes

NOW, here is the trick, early last week I talked with him on the phone, he blames the DuPont primer as being the troubles....I can't figger that, as it's a urethane....so when dry should not be affected by much of anything over it....

so then he was supposed to get hold of 'his internet guy' and send a key to the ebay thing that would allow me to remove the negative comment.....

well no such thing happened.....so apparently he is out of touch with reality....

they suffered VERY public embarrassment over many cruise nights....me handing out leaflets to everyone in site, fixed their wagon but good.....

So now to put this on over 'there' and some other sites, and to send him a email with the links....piss on HIM, I win.......

Gene, You always should stay with a system. What I mean by this is if you buy Dupont primer, buy Dupont base and clear. Don't mix the brands! Bad thing can and will happen.

Danny

Gene, You always should stay with a system. What I mean by this is if you buy Dupont primer, buy Dupont base and clear. Don't mix the brands! Bad thing can and will happen.

Danny

The man HAD DuPont's badge on his tent at the Daytona show 3 months ago...and a friend recommended him, he feels bad about that now....not HIS fault, really....

:cry: Aside from the runs/drips...obviously MY fault, I have to sand redo about 6 sq feet of flat surface area....lovely...

:crutches:

You was warned by many people on here to stay with 1 brand and to not skimp.
You have no excuse.

You have no excuse.

I agree.... but you don't have to buy the most expensive material to get acceptable results, for example the "shopline" stuff and the "restauration shop" brand from TCPglobal is what I've used with good results, roughly half the price of PPG or Dupont.

Here's what you should do: sand ALL that crap off the body.....

buy 2qts plus 1qt activator ($70) of this stuff:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspepoprime.aspx

and the gallon kit urethane primer ($105) from TCPglobal (they have a ebay store and a amazon store as well as their own website) ..

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KIT-KUP405-GL

Spray the epoxy primer as a first coat, it will seal bare fiberglass also...
Spray the urethane primer within a few days (see tech sheet), block, spray more primer and block some more....

This primer is compatible with "shopline" and "restauration shop" base coats, I've used both....

You will NOT be able to spray the base/clear coat without a booth during our FL summer months... too hot.... if you try it at night in a garage the light will attract bugs.... fuggetaboutit....

Leave it in primer until fall/winter.... then spray base/clear....

You have no excuse.

I agree.... but you don't have to buy the most expensive material to get acceptable results, for example the "shopline" stuff and the "restauration shop" brand from TCPglobal is what I've used with good results, roughly half the price of PPG or Dupont.

Here's what you should do: sand ALL that crap off the body.....

buy 2qts plus 1qt activator ($70) of this stuff:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspepoprime.aspx

and the gallon kit urethane primer ($105) from TCPglobal (they have a ebay store and a amazon store as well as their own website) ..

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KIT-KUP405-GL

Spray the epoxy primer as a first coat, it will seal bare fiberglass also...
Spray the urethane primer within a few days (see tech sheet), block, spray more primer and block some more....

This primer is compatible with "shopline" and "restauration shop" base coats, I've used both....

You will NOT be able to spray the base/clear coat without a booth during our FL summer months... too hot.... if you try it at night in a garage the light will attract bugs.... fuggetaboutit....

Leave it in primer until fall/winter.... then spray base/clear....

Exaxtly,i followed you're advice and Smydas,used the PPG shopline all the way. The end result is a very nice paint job. No runs,no drips,no sags,no error's.
I did learn one thing out of doing my first paint job, It's all in the prep work,poor prep,poor results,shooting the paint and clear was the easy part.

I thought you used only the shopline primer and the PPG base/clear ???

The cheaper brand base does not cover as good as the expensive stuff but you can improve that by using dark or black primer for dark base coats...

I thought you used only the shopline primer and the PPG base/clear ???

The cheaper brand base does not cover as good as the expensive stuff but you can improve that by using dark or black primer for dark base coats...

You are right,i did jump up to the PPG DB line for the base and clear,everything else was shop line.

So where are you at now with the seller Gene? :confused:

JUst like before no response.....

I don't think the man gives a shit about the business, really....maybe he got so much orders he don't care anymore....

:twitch:

SO, this top post goes on the vetteforum.....