Import Suspesion Lowering, WTF?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I was in Chicago last weekend and saw a group of import cars that were on the road together. You know the ones, stick on ground effects, fart can muffs and Japanese writing on the back window. These cars were all lowered to a couple of inches clearance.

All of these cars had basically no suspension travel and, my guess is, they were running on the bump stops. I say this because they all bounced around pretty violently with very little suspension travel.

Anyone know how those guys are doing that? Do they torch the springs until the suspension drops all the way or are they using air bags or ..........?

I have to add, this is not something I want to do to my own car. Just interested in what the "kids" are calling hotrodding these days.

I dunno man, but the Miata guys don't think much of that 'movement' in hotrodding or 'style'.....

gotta say, wife's Miata is about 1/2 the height of the vette from the ground, and I can't drive it very well with the top up, like today....major PIA....

just gotta get the vette back together....

SOON....damn rain..

:bomb::suicide:

They probably swap out the mcpherson struts for some with much shorter extended lengths and really stiff springs or just swap out the springs for some really stiff ones, that will make them bouncy without running on the bump stops. Add that they probably don't runner a narrower lower a arm and are at the end of the upper bearing adjustment, they almost always run crazy static camber as a result.

So, you saw these guys? LOL (if vid doesn't work, click the word LiveLeak)

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b60_1242338473[/ame]

Some of these guys, many of these guys, do it dangerously. They cut the coil springs, or do other stupid things. I think many of those mods are not safe.

What's wrong with cutting coil springs? I have cut many sprints, in fact I cut some last weekend. Heating springs to let them collapse is dangerous. If you cut them, heat the end and bend it flat to fixate the cut off coil so it's inactive makes for a neatly cut spring with a nice flat end so it doesn't pinch through the frame or arm and causes tears in the steel, rate goes up, car goes down. Win win win win situation.

A friend of mine has an R33 Skyline and another an EVO2 both are fast as fuck. The evo with stock suspension is very hard and his is low with the skirts, bumper etc but it never bottoms out. The skyline is pretty much stock and has plenty of clearance but rides very comfortably. The 2 of them beat the hell out of their cars on the street and the 1/8 mile and have never had any real problems. I have to say if I need to get another daily driver Ill be getting a skyline.