Holly eletric choke

tonyv123

Wish,...Wish harder
ZZ4, Holly 4160, electric choke, stock '81 wiring harness.

Choke dash light stays lit, along with seatbelt warning buzzer. I disconnected the green buzzer under shift console, buzzer stopped, but the light (choke) stayed on. Before, buzzer and light went out at the same time, (after 3-4 minutes after starting cold). Adjusted choke to full open, light still on. Pulled hot choke wire from electric choke, light out. Getting warmer here and don't really need a choke, but want it, and seatbelt buzzer to work as designed. Any help?

Well, first off, the little green buzzer is the choke relay. Put it back. :D
The holley choke coil should be compatable. It is the green looking blue wire from the alternator harness that crosses the engine alone in the front.
81chokecircuit0002.jpg
Honestly, I had the same problem 8 years ago, and cannot remember for the life of me what it was. I know it was stupid easy.
Check the choke heater fuse first.

Thanks Bird,
I'll hook it back up, and check the fuse. Since the light worked, the fuse didn't occure to me. Your diagram doesn't show why my seatbelt buzzer has any thing to do with it.

seatbeltbuzzer0001.jpg
The only common factor there is the gauge fuse. Possibly the dash ground on the left pillar.

I just fixed a problem with my 81. The battery and choke lights were on and there was a buzzing from under the dash. I did allot of research to diside it was the alternator and that fixed it.

I just fixed a problem with my 81. The battery and choke lights were on and there was a buzzing from under the dash. I did allot of research to diside it was the alternator and that fixed it.

I had the same problem on my 81 some time ago. Low voltage/bad regulator does cause it.

Actually what I did was leave the choke buzzer disconnected, and ran a switched hot wire to the Holley electric choke, as the Holley web site suggested. I believe using the stock Q-jet choke wiring harness and buzzer, is not compatible with a Holley electric choke. Anyway, the choke works fine now except that I no longer have a choke dash light that works.

SIXFOOTER, If there was a bad diode in my alt., would it show any other symptoms? (like no/low charging?). I did stop at an Autozone and had them check the charging system, and everything checked out o.k. I know there is a procedure to check the alt., but I got lazy and Autozone was close by.