Dodge DPFI problems....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I have a stepson's 3/4 Dodge van 318 DPFI Holley system stamped on the t-body....

fp is 32-34 and changes to 40 under load, rises to 50 if I pinch the return line....changed the crank postion sensor because engine tended to die at idle, restarted almost immediately....so it's new...idle is only 10" of vac....but closer to 18-23 at running high idle, no load....MAP varies enough to make sense....so does TPS, it tends to backfire too....

but not regularly....the injectors sound normal....

and pass a leakdown, holds 32 psi for some minits with out falling any....

going for plugs/wires now, nothing else makes any sense....misfires at idle and hates the gas under load....bogs and backfires like crazy...

I can't find a CAM position sensor, it maybe batch fire....uses a stock looking dizzy in back cap and all....I presume the dizzy just does index work on the spark....

same thing mine would be IF I did a crank position sender instead of the one in the HEI....

what is your experience???

thanks...GENE

10 in. vacuum at idle is too low. Work on that first.

Yeh, me too, so first thing in this damn cold rain at 62F out, I pull the plugs, cyl 3 at 30 lbs comp, 5 at ZERO lbs....all the rest at only 70 but that's cold....

so not too pleased as it looks really bad now...pulled the cover and sure enough all the valves going up and down just fine.....great...so that leaves a dropped valve and a blasted piston, probably...funny it don't knock though....

so all that BS has to come apart again...all them damn brackets, all that induction, all that shit.....plus the frozen exhaust bolts, freeking lovely...

:bomb::goodnight::flash:

Come on man...we all know how you love pulling heads....break out the tools and the beer.

He just a working stiff, and with child support and shit to worry over, he don't need another several grand going out the window...here MY van is ten years older and runs fine....friggin 2bbl.....this one just HAD to have expensive internal engine crap...I just hope it's not a short block.....70 lbs don't impress me much though....

:crap: