rear coilover location and leverage effect on rod ends

daveL82

I've been slowly building my 5 link car for sometime and have the links located on one side of the car which includes two trailing links from frame to a point 3 inches in front of halfshaft center line and a toe link parallel to the strut rod but located 10 inches to the rear of the half shaft centerline.

My biggest frustration has been fitting the coilover forward of the half shaft near the same location as the original shock. If can be done but only gives .375 inch clearance from shock to fiberglass battery box and the upper trailing link.

When I had the stock trailing arm I had the coilovers mounted at the back of the arm which gave me a lot of room to work with plus addtional room to easily change ride height and drop them for spring changes. The upper shock mount was directly behind the ears for the aluminum diff mount.

My question is could I mount the shock in the rear location without putting too much lever arm stress on the rod ends as an alternative mounting point when using the trailing links. The links terminate 3 inchs in front of the half shaft center line and the coil over would mount 10 inches back from the half shaft centerline. This puts them 13 inches a part.

If you have the clearance, put them in the stock location. I managed to get some in the stock location on my brothers car and you can also get narrower diameter springs nowadays, 2.25 instead of 2.5 which would help a lot. You'd need a new set of hats and adjsuters though.

I don't think putting the shocks 10" behind the axle CL sounds like a good idea. You are correct, it puts a large moment on the joints (unless your joints are spaced really far apart).

3/8 clearance sounds good to me, I would stick with the front mount.

Any pix of your setup?

I'll try to take pics tomorrow of the latest with the front mounts moved inward. I built a pocket in the frame to keep the top link higher.

Sorry I haven't been able to post pics as I've been on the phone every night with my co-workers trying to complete a project. Will try to get to it by the end of the week.