After-market head unit to replace Bose

C 4

This is driving me nuts and the bloomin internet is nothing but contradiction!. Anyone have any definitive info/advice please:-

93 Coupe (I've read converts are different!?), original Delco/Bose-Gold system.

I want to replace the Delco/Bose head unit and I am trying to discover if I can retain the existing Bose (active) speakers.

I've read you can, you can't, you might be able to and it will sound horrible. I've also read there is an amp/tuner in the cubby behind the passenger seat… I know there is a 'box' in that cubby, but how can it be an amp if the speakers are active!, surely it's just the tuner. Some insist that the tuner is under the passenger side dash… yes even on a 93.

Okay, the above has got me chewing on my keyboard and popping aspirins, but then I read there is an after-market loom that by-passes the tuner/(amp!), but that it will probably induce ignition/alternator noise into the system… I'm now close to hysteria and searching the net for prozac.

Can anyone kindly clear this up?. Ideally I'd like to install a Kenwood DNX7240 head-unit, presumingly utilising the pre-outs (spec'd at "2V / 10 KOhm with an impedance of < 600 Ohm") and retain both the original Bose speakers and my sanity.

Any help greatly appreciated.

IF you are not a ET or stereo hobbyist at least.....i'ts impossible....otherwise it CAN be done, but you will most likely need wiring diagrams and be able to get information as to what maybe inside the units also....something only a DELCO authorized service center can do.....and they not likely to give up the information....LONG time ago I knew folks in that business so no biggie, but it was single source info because I knew them, no other reason...

:rain:

Thanks mrvette. I reckon I can identify the wiring successfully, I have the diagrams/colour codes.

Do you know if Delco still have an audio div., and if so where I might find their support e-mail?. You could be right and they'd tell me to push off, but from my understanding they don't support these units any longer and on account of that I can't see why they couldn't give me a few details!?

I've e-mailed Bose to ask the speaker/amp specs (waiting for a responce), perhaps I could try getting the info from the other end... Delco.

Problem is, I don't want to butcher things too much (new speakers etc), in case I need to revert to oem later.

This is driving me nuts and the bloomin internet is nothing but contradiction!. Anyone have any definitive info/advice please:-

93 Coupe (I've read converts are different!?), original Delco/Bose-Gold system.

I want to replace the Delco/Bose head unit and I am trying to discover if I can retain the existing Bose (active) speakers.

I've read you can, you can't, you might be able to and it will sound horrible. I've also read there is an amp/tuner in the cubby behind the passenger seat… I know there is a 'box' in that cubby, but how can it be an amp if the speakers are active!, surely it's just the tuner. Some insist that the tuner is under the passenger side dash… yes even on a 93.

Okay, the above has got me chewing on my keyboard and popping aspirins, but then I read there is an after-market loom that by-passes the tuner/(amp!), but that it will probably induce ignition/alternator noise into the system… I'm now close to hysteria and searching the net for prozac.

Can anyone kindly clear this up?. Ideally I'd like to install a Kenwood DNX7240 head-unit, presumingly utilising the pre-outs (spec'd at "2V / 10 KOhm with an impedance of < 600 Ohm") and retain both the original Bose speakers and my sanity.

Any help greatly appreciated.

You can buy an interface from Crutchfield that will allow the new HU to work w/ the existing Bose speaker system. The new HU will be held back by the Bose speakers, as they suck. To read more on this issue, take a look at this , it was written by people who have actually done this to there cars.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-electronics/941281-c4-audio-faq.html

I used to have the "monsoon" system in my 99 Camaro and I was told you cannot replace the head unit.... well... since I already had a nice Alpine unit I bought the adapter kit at BestBuy and it worked pretty good.... :2nd:

I would think it's the same with the Bose system....

Anyways..... I replaced the front speakers and they were $90 each at the dealer.... can't get any aftermarket replacement speakers that work with f.e. the Monsoon system... again, I'd think the Bose system is similar....

If you shop smart (f.e. Hookedontronics on Ebay) you can get a good system for under $500 (head unit, amp and speakers) and you never have to worry about compatibility.... just my 2c....

Thanks everyone, interesting advice and opinions.

The reason I'm attempting to go this route (retaining the orig speakers), is solely so that I can put the car back to factory spec if I ever need to. I've read that there is not a lot of depth in the speaker enclosures and haven't found anyone who has sourced after-market speakers that will fit without modding the enclosures.

Accepted that the Bose speakers are dated and not exactly "hi-fi", but in all honesty mine don't seem to do a bad job and to some extent if I wanted to listen to true hi-fi sound then I shouldn't be sitting in a car with all of it's insurmountable audio limitations. Also being and old fart, I don't really need to be driving along with my kidneys bouncing to a bass beat. What do you guy's think, am I looking at this the wrong way?

BBShark. Those wiring adaptor/looms look like an option although I can't quiet work out what they do in this scenario and which one if relavent, I'll do some more investigating, thanks.

RandyJ75. Thanks for the link to the Corvetteforum faq. I've read that before and it was one of those it is very interesting plus a bit contradicting in places. I'll have another read through later.

Having said all of the above and hearing the opinions, I'm now re-thinking the possibility of replacing the Bose speakers. I'm gonna stick to the plan of not destroying the factory fit/finish, so I think I'll take one front and one rear enclosure off and see how much space I have to play with and see if I can find any suitable after-market speakers that will go in there.

Thanks guy's.

C4 not sure if you found the right fix for your bose speakers. which are better then their head unit. anyway yes you can use the bose speakers w/an after market HU. Go to www.crutchfield.com put your vette year and the site will show you what fits and what works w/bose. i purchased a wire harness to reuse my bose speakers w/a new HU. G/L

If you call Crutchfield and tell them what you are doing, they are really helpful. I bought a new head unit for a Camaro a while back and they gave me all the harnesses I needed as well as installation instructions.

Thanks again guy's,

Crutchfield is a good site, eventually found the adapter to allow the factory speakers to be retained... magic