What would you do with a L98?

Shillinger

I have a 90 L98 that is pushing 100k miles. It still runs strong with a few issues and I want to run it for another summer and rebuild/replace this winter. I have a budget of about $2500 for the engine, I figure another $1000 for clutch and this and that. I will do all the assembly myself but no machine work. This is for a strong street car, no racing.

What do you guys think? Can this be done and what can I expect as far as performance?

100k miles for any decently cared for engine today is just broke in....

assuming the oil is clean and under the valve covers is fairly clean, oil pressure/use is ok, and no oil burning when warmed up....leave it alone...IMO...

now...most L98 engines by that miles will need valve seals, the umbrella type on all 16 stems....about 20 bux for parts, and 1/2 a day for work, if you can do what you said above, that a cake walk....take Aspirin for your back, another issue....:crap:

I would hate to see anyone take a L98 apart unless you really need to....

they do have issues with intake manifold/head gaskets leaking in water jacket crossovers...not a biggie, hardly rebuild time....

:smash:

I would put in a new cam, cold air intake kit, and good exhaust.

I took mine apart @ 165k thinking it was worn out. The car didn't smoke or use oil and there was very little ring ridge in the cylinders so it probably could have lived alot longer. I spent about 2500 but I think it was a little less, my old comp died so I lost all my records but here's what I did and the numbers are a guess but close;
*dip/magnaflux/mew cam bearings freeze plugs $100
*cut crank $120
*new rods with arp bolts $200
*engine kit with; clevite bearings/speed pro forged pistons/rings/gaskets/oil pump/ (this one I'm guessing) $500
*Crane 2050 cam and lifters $150
*Crane dr timing chain $40
*Crane push rods $35
*Flowtech water pump $80
*OTC Chevy performance heads (refered to as turbo heads *292) $475 ebay
*rebuild heads/valve job, seals... $200
*Edelbrock hiflo tpi base and runners $600
*CC roller tip 1:6 rockers $70 ebay

The heads on your 90 are better than what was on my 85 so you can probably save some money there or spend it on porting them. Same with you intake, you can port that as well but I was to lazy;-)

Forgot about balancing, I think that was another $150ish

Last edited:
I blew my 90 up,sold it to a guy in work. I banked the $ & add to it every month.When the right used Z06 pop's up I'll have 405hp & wont even get my nails dirty !

I blew my 90 up,sold it to a guy in work. I banked the $ & add to it every month.When the right used Z06 pop's up I'll have 405hp & wont even get my nails dirty !

Yeh, but nothing looks good as a shark....:stirpot::lol:

I took mine apart @ 165k thinking it was worn out. The car didn't smoke or use oil and there was very little ring ridge in the cylinders so it probably could have lived alot longer. I spent about 2500 but I think it was a little less, my old comp died so I lost all my records but here's what I did and the numbers are a guess but close;
*dip/magnaflux/mew cam bearings freeze plugs $100
*cut crank $120
*new rods with arp bolts $200
*engine kit with; clevite bearings/speed pro forged pistons/rings/gaskets/oil pump/ (this one I'm guessing) $500
*Crane 2050 cam and lifters $150
*Crane dr timing chain $40
*Crane push rods $35
*Flowtech water pump $80
*OTC Chevy performance heads (refered to as turbo heads *292) $475 ebay
*rebuild heads/valve job, seals... $200
*Edelbrock hiflo tpi base and runners $600
*CC roller tip 1:6 rockers $70 ebay

The heads on your 90 are better than what was on my 85 so you can probably save some money there or spend it on porting them. Same with you intake, you can port that as well but I was to lazy;-)

Forgot about balancing, I think that was another $150ish

Thanks for the info. This looks like a good plan.

Any advice on headers or exhaust?

I didn't do anything fancy, just regular Hedmans that I powder coated with 2.5" pipes and flowmasters