Hurst shifter: Can't get 1-2 gate

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Having a problem with my shifter. I can move the handle through the 3-4 and 5-R gates, but it refuses to let me get into the 1-2 gate. I realigned it again today (by putting a length of 3/16 tubing in the alignment hole), but no go. I disconnected the shifter arm from the transmission to make sure it wasn't something internal that was putting any pressure on the linkage, but no difference in result. However, the shifter internal "slider" moves just fine when I push the linkage fore and aft.
I'll be playing with it again tomorrow, but I was curious if anybody has ever run into a problem like this, or if anyone has any thoughts on what may be the issue. These shifters aren't that complicated internally, so I'm surprised it's giving me problems.

thanks,
Mike

Problem resolved.

After getting nowhere trying to figure out what the problem was with my shifter, I took the whole system apart. Now that I've got a removable crossmember, working around the DN5spd is now only a semi-nightmare. After examining the shifter I noticed a slight silvery appearance on a pivot button on the side of the shifter. When I moved the shifter into the 1-2 gate, this button popped out a touch. I suspected that it may have been rubbing on the transmission bracket. I looked at the bracket, and saw some slight scratch marks. Ah ha. I took my carbide grinder and ground out a bit of extra clearance in the button area. Several months ago I had made an aluminum replacement for the heavy steel bracket.

IM000778.jpg

My mistake when I made this lighter bracket was not knowing that the button would pop out farther than the edge plane of the shifter housing. My replacement bracket was not a one-to-one replacement, as I kept a couple extra gussets in it to compensate for the weaker aluminum. The button hit the edge of one of those gussets. It's working now, but it did end up killing several hours that could have been spent more productively.