SS sleeved???

cajos1968

I'm a bit weary about my calipers. They are sitting still for a 2 years now. So I decided to take them apart.

I was thinking I had the normal calipers from 72, as it turned out I think I have ss sleeved calipers right??

Foto128.jpg

Foto129.jpg

SS on the right steel on the left.
Foto134.jpg

Foto136.jpg

I think this is a normal one
Foto135.jpg

So at the front I have 3 ss caliper halves and one steel caliper halve.:crap:

With regards to the brake pistons I'm not sure if these are o-ring pistons? Can any body tell me?

Foto133.jpg

Foto132.jpg

Those are all sleeved, see the "step" in the bottom? You can actually see the end of the stainless insert. It's right where the hole between the 2 bores is.

Really!! :bounce:

The "normal" one is very dull compared to the others?

Does anybody know the difference between 0-ring and insulated o-ring from VBandP?

you can clean those bores up with a scuff pad and when you buy new pistons buy the o-ring pistons....get the pistons from Mike (tracdogg2)...

Last edited:
Either Gary or Mike.....I've used the O-ring kit from Mike - no complaints here. The semi metallic pads he sells are good too :D

Shipping will be less - unlike most other vendors he's not adding 4lbs of bubble wrap and three heavy catalogs to the box
:thumbs:

If you lived in Cocoa Beach Florida, just south of Cape Canavaral, I could get them turned for 8 bux each for you....a old retarred buddy lives there....

but as it is, no, you can't do much with them without the machinery....

if they not too heavily grooved out/worn thin, I would just tie them down to the hub, and stick the caliper/pads over it and spin for feeling the pads, checking for runout...if you can BARELY feel any runout with you finger tips, you should be fine for O rings....it's all I did.....I think I used some aluminum foil or flashing as a shim for one of my rotors, been about 5 years daily driven since I touched the rears....

Last front rotors were 30 bux each here NEW, at NAPA.....supposedly American Made too....looked like they were, that was 4 years ago

$17 for shipping to Holland ? That's cheap, usually they charge FedEx/UPS intl. rates plus they are required to fill out the customs forms.
Cheapest way to ship is usually USPS flat rate, smallest box is around $40.

These pistons are heavy, too heavy for a padded envelope - I wonder how they ship. Maybe they get a good discount or just charge a flat rate and eat the rest....

I don't think they realized he's not in the US

Measure the runout on the rotors and measure how much you've got left, (the minimum thickness is cast into the rotor) before doing anything to them

Yes, the small flat rate box. They're changing the rates so oten now I have to check first before I give a quote.
Mike

The smaller flat rate box used to be $39.95, the "large" flat rate box was $49.95 and is only 12x12x6 - limit 20lbs

Everything incl. FedEx/UPS went up when gas went up to $4/gallon.... it didn't come down now that gas is $2/gallon.... wonder why....

Snail Mail via ship is not an option anymore, everything MUST go air.... wonder if it's cheaper to ship from Mexico, an option for those near the border...

In process ordering with Mike, added the semi metallic pads. Also got some Ral 3001 Powder Coat to coat the calipers signal red.

The rotors are a bit rough on the inside face, is there no easy way to make them shinny again, I know they will clean up after several miles of braking.

What can I do with the dull caliper cylinders, Scotts brite?