PDA

View Full Version : the home renovations begins.....

bobs77vet
04-05-2008, 05:03 PM
well you guys know i relocated....so we now have plans and the construction or demolition of the old house begins.....hopefully i will have enough money left to have the two car garage built at the same time.....we are in side the beltway that surrounds washington dc and it is very expensive...the garage will go in the back right corner as you are looking at the back of the house

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/houseremodelphotos156.jpg

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

SmokinBBC
04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I did the same thing when I bought my first home 20 years ago, so I know that you will really appreciate your efforts when your done!

turtlevette
04-05-2008, 05:57 PM
you are flipping your old house? or rebuilding the new one?

i'm confused

mrvette
04-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Where are you located?? I spent 53 years in that area, Rockville/Bethesda/Potomac/Chevy Chase (predates the commendian by many a decade).....left there 11 years ago....spent the last 10 years up there renovating houses.....

Can't spot the area from the arky tech ture.....think it's NOVA....
being INside the beltway....

show more pix....kinda interested in what you are doing, and so from old friends I know the old hoods are beeing torn up house by house.....leaving sometimes only ONE old wall, and building entirely new McMansions on 1/4 acre lots, complete with indoor parking.....

years ago the old Pearson farm, overlooking the Potomac River in Potomac Md, was subdivided and sold off.....Brazillionaire homes built....worked on a couple of them....not as the GC, but did some significant sections....

so the curiosity of the old area remains....

thanks...:shocking::shocking::beer:

bobs77vet
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Arlington Va...........we sold the house at the Jersey shore and bought this one specifically to renovate and then live in, it has an 8000 sq foot lot which is big for Arlington and has a foot print of 1000 ft, we will add a 500 sf ft addition to the foor print and go up one more level. it will have a 29' x 8' front porch and where you see the construction dumpster will be where the new addition will go. since the garage will be small about 24x22 i will make the basement level portion of the new addition into a wood shop, that way the garage will be only for auto related stuff.....we are living in a rental house while we do it.

mrvette
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
NICE project there, you going to try matching the brick in front?? or just give it up and go for contrast??

reason I ask is that trying to match brick is even harder than matching paint....mucho more shopping, especially with the weathering and all...much less the mortar....that stops about 99% of the masons right there....

close and exact being well....

:evil::banghead::banghead::banghead:

bobs77vet
04-05-2008, 10:04 PM
We will wrap any remaining first floor brick with hardy siding, that way we dont have to match any brick or worry about window placement, the basement brick will remain. and we think the first and second floor will have the same siding we are thinking it will be a shingle style siding,,....the second alternative is to have hardy siding clap board first floor and shingle second floor..... the first floor will have the mstr bedroom on it for these old bones......

bobs77vet
04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
and the 77 had to go to college with my son during the move......so it took me several weekends to make it shine again after living under a cover outside for 4 months....

big2bird
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Well Bob, that look's like one big PITA. LOL. I hope you fair well. They always tend to run over budget, and finish late.:banghead: I hope the best.

bobs77vet
04-05-2008, 10:41 PM
i keep saying just add money and it will turn out allright, the only problem is the garage will be the last thing buile so......i hope it stays on budget, or i will just do myself......as for being a pain in the ass.....oh yeah 1/2 of stuff is still in storage and every thing else is in boxes. i didn't try and economize on the rental house so we are at least living in relative comfort. i will be really happy when the framing is finished and the house is weather tight

mrvette
04-06-2008, 12:13 AM
i keep saying just add money and it will turn out allright, the only problem is the garage will be the last thing buile so......i hope it stays on budget, or i will just do myself......as for being a pain in the ass.....oh yeah 1/2 of stuff is still in storage and every thing else is in boxes. i didn't try and economize on the rental house so we are at least living in relative comfort. i will be really happy when the framing is finished and the house is weather tight

I hear you, my sis is all stressed out trying to do the same thing....1/2 her shit in boxes/storage, and selling for a trans - con move....

super PIA....for sure...

:amazed: I did it 11 years ago moving south, here....

never again....

:clobbered::cussing:

MYBAD79
04-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey Bob - good to see you over here :yahoo:

The house looks nice, with the addition and of course the garage it's going to be a really nice home

bobs77vet
04-22-2008, 11:44 PM
well the demo is almost done.....the new stuff will start soon.....

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/IMG_0050.jpg

MYBAD79
04-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Holy cow, it's a convertible .... :D

looking good but seriously: this can't be a whole lot less expensive and/or less work to build a new house ?? You re-doing the plumbing and wiring as well ??

bobs77vet
04-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Arlington is inside of the beltway of washington and it is very expensive. new home construction is very heavily regulated by permitting obstructions and the civil engineering for soil run off and chesapeake bay drainage restrictions add several more months to the building pernit approval process and an extra 30- 40 k on the project.....so if you can handle the stress of this it is the fastest way to go....

mrvette
04-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Arlington is inside of the beltway of washington and it is very expensive. new home construction is very heavily regulated by permitting obstructions and the civil engineering for soil run off and chesapeake bay drainage restrictions add several more months to the building pernit approval process and an extra 30- 40 k on the project.....so if you can handle the stress of this it is the fastest way to go....

Tell me about it, down the street from a friend in Chevy chase they tore all but ONE WALL of the old brick colonial down, and rebuilt it into a MANSION worth about a megga biggie or better, for the location, and it was done under 'renovation'....not new construction....go figger, and that ain't the only one dodging the issues that way....across from the ex is a house doing the same thing, and around the corner also....one was done some years ago....

happening all around Montgomery county inside/near the beltway....

:D:flash:

bobs77vet
04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
my permitting fees were about $5500 for the building permit and the mechanical, plumbing and electrical will all be additional fees.....

mrvette
04-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Nice Spruce, hard to tplant one that size.....it's planted by original owner back in the 60's or so....

my father planted similar ones on his property back then....

bobs77vet
04-25-2008, 12:26 AM
todays work.....i am getting psyched

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/houseremodelphotos335.jpg

MYBAD79
04-25-2008, 01:45 AM
not much left..... it'll be a nice home when it's done.... now is the right time for you to go on a cruise...... :D

big2bird
04-26-2008, 01:43 PM
My God Bob, it looks like an episode of "Extreme Makeover." Did you hire Tye Pennington?:lol:

bobs77vet
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
heres the front elevation of what it will look like, the front door is about in the middle of the picture window of the old house. the foot print of the house is 32 x 55

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/houseremodelphotos343.jpg

mrvette
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
heres the front elevation of what it will look like, the front door is about in the middle of the picture window of the old house. the foot print of the house is 32 x 55

That top dormer kickout is very remnisiciet of my house in Aspen Hill, Wheaton Md....some 14 years ago....

but mine faced the rear the front was two window dormers, it was a brick cape....

:smash:

bobs77vet
05-15-2008, 01:52 AM
well we are still plugging away despite the rain......hopefully the new foundation gets started on friday

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/houseremodelphotos427.jpg

MYBAD79
05-15-2008, 02:52 AM
love that pic with the supervisor in the background.... :bounce:

good to hear you're still on schedule, keep the updates coming :thumbs:

big2bird
05-15-2008, 02:56 AM
good to hear you're still on schedule, keep the updates coming :thumbs:

Agreed. I wish you the best Bob.

bobs77vet
05-16-2008, 03:02 AM
well its uphill from this point!!!!!!!!!!!! if the rains stays away i mayhave new foundation walls next week, this is the framing for the stairs which have been relocated for the new floor plan

[Only registered and activated users can see links];20st/houseremodelphotos441.jpg

bobs77vet
05-28-2008, 12:31 AM
just pray with me for dry weather......

Cherry
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
just pray with me for dry weather......

Just how many swimming pools are you installing, I saw the wading pools.

MYBAD79
05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Wow, Ty from Home Makeover would be proud of you :eek:

wishing you all the best, at this point it does not look like a fun project....

big2bird
05-28-2008, 01:56 AM
I hope you get done before that little girl starts college.

mrvette
05-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I hope you get done before that little girl starts college.

Shit, have her PHD before THAT.....

:sweat::crutches:

Cherry
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I think we all missed the important part of this, """WHERES THE GARAGE""" BOB ?

bobs77vet
06-01-2008, 01:06 AM
due to permitting regulations i needed to dig up the yard for the house first and then do the garage....because if you disturb more then 25% of your soil you need $15,000 worth of civil engineering done for erosion control........they take the actual amount of what your are excavating and add 10' around that and then add additional space for contractor equipment ......blah blah blah......so after the hole gets backfilled, i will add the garage to the permit. the concrete for the walls was poured on friday......framing should start next week. the additional space is 13'4" from the house and 32' front to back and 8' off of the front of the house.

bobs77vet
06-03-2008, 03:18 AM
man is this ever going painfully slow.......

bobs77vet
06-04-2008, 11:49 PM
todays milestone......a yard again

big2bird
06-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Not bad Bob. Footings and earth work are always slow. Once they have good access, and the wood butchers show up, it will go alot faster.

bobs77vet
06-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Not bad Bob. Footings and earth work are always slow. Once they have good access, and the wood butchers show up, it will go alot faster.

my builder says he needs three weeks to have it under roof.....i just want it framed and water tight, well actually i just want it done.....

MYBAD79
06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Here in Florida they build your house in 4 months or less.... cheapest piece of junk you can imagine :smash::smash:

It seems your builder is doing a good job - looks really good so far :thumbs:

Cherry
06-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Progress, and it looks very good,, will it be ready for Christmas and all the outaws to enjoy?

mrvette
06-05-2008, 02:47 AM

my builder says he needs three weeks to have it under roof.....i just want it framed and water tight, well actually i just want it done.....

so you not removing those old foundation/walls of the old house??

just going to lay joists out and leave the walls there??

wood butchers.....Kiss my ASS.....

you know the diff between a cabinet maker and a carpenter is??? about 1/4 inch.....:D:lol::stirpot:

bobs77vet
06-08-2008, 02:36 AM
ok progress should start now

MYBAD79
06-08-2008, 02:48 AM
looking good ... keep the updates coming :yahoo:

big2bird
06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Watch the magic Bob. It will fly now.:bounce:

bobs77vet
06-12-2008, 01:54 AM
from here on in its mostly framing....yippeee the second floor is completely supported by those steel columns.....check out the size of the I beam in the fore ground of the last photo, it weighs 1100 lbs.....no shake in this house

big2bird
06-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Yippee. My fav thread. Bob, it will so fly now for awhile. If it was a track home, they would frame this in 2 days. Yours will take 1 week or so. It'l boggie now.:trumpet:

mrvette
06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Yippee. My fav thread. Bob, it will so fly now for awhile. If it was a track home, they would frame this in 2 days. Yours will take 1 week or so. It'l boggie now.:trumpet:

How that old pop song go?? We the wood wackers, the wood wackers, wacking wood all day.....whatya say...hehehehey.....

:smash::smash::smash::trumpet:

bobs77vet
06-13-2008, 02:27 AM
well more progress today....tomorrow the 1100 lb steel beam gets put in place with a crane......the porch slab got poured today and it will be covered in PA random flagstone. the builder estimates 3 weeks to have it water tight.

bobs77vet
06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
we have some walls

bobs77vet
06-17-2008, 01:52 AM

MYBAD79
06-17-2008, 02:35 AM
home sweet home .... :yahoo:

bobs77vet
06-18-2008, 01:35 AM
now i am getting psyched.......i get a second floor subflooring tomorrow

Cherry
06-18-2008, 01:53 AM
The wife sure knows how to make those floors shine?? Or is that water?? Broken pipes already? Yes ,the insanity of it all.

big2bird
06-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Looking good Bob. :beer::beer:

bobs77vet
06-21-2008, 05:25 AM
this weeks progress

big2bird
06-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Looks like you'll have a roof by the weekend Bob.

MYBAD79
06-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Nice......keep the pics coming

bobs77vet
06-26-2008, 01:42 AM

Douglas Mariani
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=bobs77vet;12725][Only registered and activated users can see links]

The house is looking Great!!!

bobs77vet
07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
getting closer.......we strived hard for lots ow window seats and angles on the second floor to give the old style charm back to the house

Twin_Turbo
07-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, that's coming along NICELY!! Sure got a whole lot bigger :twitch:

bobs77vet
07-18-2008, 01:19 AM
here is where we stand, i get the garage permit next week......the most important part

MYBAD79
07-18-2008, 01:29 AM
looks great, won't be long and you'll have the restrooms inside the house instead of in the front yard :bounce:

mrvette
07-18-2008, 02:03 AM
looks great, won't be long and you'll have the restrooms inside the house instead of in the front yard :bounce:

OH christ, the kids tell me the ex up in Potomac Md, still has a outhouse across the streeet from her from a similar project started by now over 1.5 years ago....

:shocking::shocking::gurney:

big2bird
07-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Nice new digs Bob. Where's my plane ticket? Off work till August.:gurney:

bobs77vet
07-22-2008, 02:44 AM
that porta toliet has only been dumped over once by the neighborhhood kids....my builder is amazed that is has only happened once....hes use to it happening every night and his tools being stolen.....

bobs77vet
08-14-2008, 02:16 AM
getting close to insulation, and drywall time .....the hvac is done, plumbing is done, electric is getting wrapped up this week, roof is on, all exterior trim is on, james hardie cement siding is ordered......and the important part the builder met with the concrete guys to day to get prices on my garage slab and driveway stuff...i see the end in sight......the sea cargo container is now empty and ready to get taken away.....

big2bird
08-14-2008, 02:54 AM
ZThanks for the update Bob. Wondered where you have been.:nuts:

Cherry
08-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Was there any rubber left on the rear tires when you got it back?

bobs77vet
08-28-2008, 03:32 AM
my laptop crapped out so pictures will be delayed until i get it back....but dry wall is done, siding is done, roofing is done.....just hope i have money left for my garage......

big2bird
08-28-2008, 04:52 AM
....just hope i have money left for my garage......

Let me guess. It's running a minimum of 10% over bid/budget.:banghead:

chevy69
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Wow Bob - this is an amazing project. I just found my way over here recently and wondered how your move had gone. You must be storing the old hot rod somewhere - I hope you still have it. Looking forward to more pics of the house - it's looking fantastic!!! :cool:

bobs77vet
08-30-2008, 01:09 AM
well the drywall gets sanded on monday and the interior gets primed and cieling paint on tuesday...now off to buy 30 gallons each of primer and cieling paint!!!!!

Dirtbuster1
08-30-2008, 01:30 AM
well the drywall gets sanded on monday and the interior gets primed and cieling paint on tuesday...now off to buy 30 gallons each of primer and cieling paint!!!!!

One thing I have learned over the years building is don't buy ceiling paint. It is made from the bottom of the barrel paint. Use a good white or off white color, and you will get better results, and easier for touch ups.. Some ceiling paints are so bad, you can't get a paint sprayer to work right with them. Ask me how I know.:smash::smash: I took the paint sprayer to the shop to get it repaired, and it worked fine. They asked me what type of paint I was using, and started laughing.

mrvette
08-30-2008, 02:07 AM

One thing I have learned over the years building is don't buy ceiling paint. It is made from the bottom of the barrel paint. Use a good white or off white color, and you will get better results, and easier for touch ups.. Some ceiling paints are so bad, you can't get a paint sprayer to work right with them. Ask me how I know.:smash::smash: I took the paint sprayer to the shop to get it repaired, and it worked fine. They asked me what type of paint I was using, and started laughing.

Ceilings are the easiest in new/cleared out houses.....rent a sprayer and use KILLS, about the same as ceiling white....

then cut in and if you are good, spray the walls.....you get the right professional sprayer, and the amount of overspray is minimal....leaving just the trim to paint.....

get a narrow roller for the trim roller it then go over quickly with a cut brush done by two people, this is done quickly....unless you need more coats, then it takes about 2 days to do a house.....

:clobbered:

bobs77vet
08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Chevy69 you have a PM

Bird the project is running pretty much on cost schedule except for where we upgraded stuff.....

the builder is spraying the walls and cieling with behr primer and duron cieling white.....we will paint the rest...what fun...... i figured at two walls a night it will only take 64 nights to paint the interior of the house.

big2bird
08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Bird the project is running pretty much on cost schedule except for where we upgraded stuff.....

And the "upgrades?" 10%?:huh2:

bobs77vet
10-04-2008, 02:23 AM
we will be moving in this month.......then the garage will get built if the mortgage market doesn't implode......here some pictures that are a couple of weeks old

big2bird
10-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Looks like you have been busy Bob. Looks great. I'm sure you'll be glad to get settled in.

MYBAD79
10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Looks awesome. Congrats :yahoo:

Dirtbuster1
10-06-2008, 12:40 AM
The house sure has come a long way pretty fast. I know you be glad to get in soon.

Looking good!

turtlevette
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
hurryup and sell it while you can still get 1/2 of what you paid.

mrvette
10-06-2008, 02:26 AM

:smash::crylol: It has been very common around the DC region for this rebuilding of closer in decent burbs....the commuting from outer regions is stupid already....I know of many people driving from PENNSYLVANIA and many have come from W. VA. for years, which is not as far, actually, depending on where in W. Va......

some houses just like that concept were done in the ex's hood, and in another hood in Chevy Chase where some friends live....

typical 1600' house.....up there in a decent hood with a 30 minit commute to say K st NW or Capitol hill, or Foggy bottom any of the mall area...is about 500 grand UP......1/4 acre and built in the 30-50's......

NOVA tends to be a bit cheaper, due to the commute is worse because of the river and the attendant lack of bridges....there are only about 6 that are at all useful for commuters....

An aside comment, it would be SO simple for a 1/2 way organized group to overthrow the FED.GOV it's not even funny....the town is wide open....

most anyone that spent any time there, like me, knows the nerve centers, and there are not many of them....

:crap::eek::twitch:

bobs77vet
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM

are you talking about the vette or the house.......

i'm upside down in the vette but not in the house.

bobs77vet
11-18-2008, 02:36 AM
wow its been busy.....we are out of the rental house and into the new home, we passed all final inspections and i have a new building permit for the garage and hopefully the construction will begin in the week or so.....i get some pictures up this week end

big2bird
11-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Glad to hear it Bob. We've missed ya. Now, for the FUN part of the project. Blow the rest of the budget.:quote:

MYBAD79
11-18-2008, 03:16 PM
we passed all final inspections and i have a new building permit for the garage

:drink::yahoo::yahoo:

how big is that garage going to be ?

bobs77vet
11-19-2008, 02:46 AM
too damn small!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a 22' wide by 24' deep garage, i think i will make it with 9' high walls and a roof system that uses a ridge beam to carry the weight of the roof rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties. thhis will let me use an over height backyard buddy that will "shelve" a car with 7' clearance under the car. this will give me some extra working room. i am envious of the guys in rural areas that have mega garages.....right now i am looking into radiant floor heating with a closed loop electric water heater. any body have any experience with this type of system?

mrvette
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
too damn small!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a 22' wide by 24' deep garage, i think i will make it with 9' high walls and a roof system that uses a ridge beam to carry the weight of the roof rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties. thhis will let me use an over height backyard buddy that will "shelve" a car with 7' clearance under the car. this will give me some extra working room. i am envious of the guys in rural areas that have mega garages.....right now i am looking into radiant floor heating with a closed loop electric water heater. any body have any experience with this type of system?

YES, a buddy did one in his garage in Kensington Md, just up the street, he did it for his PT cabinet shop...the system was done with some like styrofoam insulation on the dirt, then the pipes then the steel mesh, then they poured....

gotta watch the concrete guys that they pull the pipes up into the cement at a decent height toward the middle, they are supposed to be on little wire stands to do that, but that is why I think they goofed with the wire mesh, and I would have not used it at all, unless right on top of the styrofoam....as the guys were walking around in the slop, the stands tipped over with their tramping on it....

but it works fine.....nice warm floor....I moved too soon after to know about utility costs though...he had a gas WH to run it with,

I had a whole house 150k BTU gas heater up there, just for the work bay, that thing blasted some heat out, the previous owner who built the garage installed it with ceiling ducts, and I can't imagine why...just a dump into the enclosed area is plenty.....heated that work bay in about 7-8 minits, easy do...

it used to be propane and cost me about 300 bux/year to heat, but I was using it steady on, with a HUGE tank out back....

:yahoo:

bobs77vet
11-20-2008, 01:35 AM
i am having difficulty justifying the radiant floor heating, i have a 240 v electric heater and it just doesn't get and stay that cold down here very long....i think i would rather put the $1500 into a backyard buddy lift. the advantage of the radiant floor heating is a warm floor but it is still a hard floor and crawling around on it is still no fun.....where the lift would get me up off the floor......the electric heat is very very fast and the radiant floor heat needs a little more time to use it...i am not sure what to do but time is running out...the digging starts next tuesday

JPhil
11-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't know that you need in-floor heat, but definately insulate the foundation & slab regardless.

big_G
11-20-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't know that you need in-floor heat, but definately insulate the foundation & slab regardless.

Yea, blow off the in-slab heating and just go with the heater. What ya gonna do if the piping in the slab leaks?....Make sure the slab depth and psi is suitable for the weight of the lift. I went with 6+ inches with re-bar on mine. On the roof have you considered "scissor-trusses"? I have them on my garage (18 ft. ceiling)

mrvette
11-20-2008, 09:41 AM

Yea, blow off the in-slab heating and just go with the heater. What ya gonna do if the piping in the slab leaks?....Make sure the slab depth and psi is suitable for the weight of the lift. I went with 6+ inches with re-bar on mine. On the roof have you considered "scissor-trusses"? I have them on my garage (18 ft. ceiling)

Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:

JPhil
11-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Yeah, us plumbers are pretty unique & special people, huh?;)

bobs77vet
11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
i have decided that the radiant floor heating would be sweet but i would rather throw the $$$ into the Backyard buddy lift....i am getting psyched digging starts tuesday, and i may actually have a garage before Christmas...

i think i will use conventional 2x6 framing with a center ridge beam that will carry the weight of the rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties, like what i used on the house.

JPhil
11-24-2008, 03:54 AM
[/QUOTE]

Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Actually, all we do is let the dog in for a few minutes, and wherever he curls up & lies down, we know that's the warm spot where the hot water is leaking into the floor. (But don't tell anybody, it's $65 an hour to do that, minimum one hour.)

mrvette
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Actually, all we do is let the dog in for a few minutes, and wherever he curls up & lies down, we know that's the warm spot where the hot water is leaking into the floor. (But don't tell anybody, it's $65 an hour to do that, minimum one hour.)[/QUOTE]

:crap::lol::lol::lol::crylol::sos:

Damnit man, just damnit, outta a job already.....

:noworry:

bobs77vet
11-27-2008, 10:51 PM
well the footings got poured yesterday and we have a home full of people today

we will put in a new curb cut and the driveway will go onthe the other side of the house

the dining room was filled with desserts....and the family took over the living room....

bobs77vet
12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
next week is abusy week the big tree gets cut down and the slab gets poured and the framing starts, the builder says it will be done by Christmas

mrvette
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
What's that white shit all over the dirt there.....

:harhar:

I remember that from the vague past.....

:trumpet:

bobs77vet
12-12-2008, 01:51 AM
that white stuff is called pure misery..........i got some radiant floor tubing from my builder as a freebie and i put in, and we put a rebar grid in the floor for extra support for when the back yard buddy goes in. now we are just waiting for the weather to clear for the slab to be poured.

bobs77vet
12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
yahoo.......its really happening......2x6 framing and the inside height is close to 11'

big2bird
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
yahoo.......its really happening......2x6 framing and the inside height is close to 11'

NOW we are talking. Good for you Bob.

bobs77vet
12-30-2008, 02:02 AM
well its really happening. thats a 16 x8 foot door opening, and the cieling top plates are at 10' with a center height of about 15'

mrvette
12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Wooda been nice if certain arky techs did my garage that a way in the ceiling/roof truss design.....down here and up north near you, also....

good man cave....

:clobbered::3rd:

big2bird
12-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Looking good Bob. I'd wire it for you, but I'm allergic to that white shit.:quote:

mrvette
12-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Looking good Bob. I'd wire it for you, but I'm allergic to that white shit.:quote:

U and me both.....:hissyfit::censored:

SmokinBBC
12-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Got a nice high ceiling. A lift should go nicely in there.

bobs77vet
12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
ok heres the low down on the electicity and low voltage.....

i have (2) 20 amp GFI receptacle circuits spaced on every other stud....A,B,A,B... on two of the walls and (1) 20 amp GFI on the third wall with receptacles on every other stud. i also placed receptacles in each corner of the garage mounted high at the 10' level, and then again 2 more at the 14' level at the ridge ends, the interior light circuit has 18 receptacles on 3 switches so i can control different lighting configurations. i will use 4' shop lights with plugs on two of the light circuits and i will mount a remote controlled cieling fan on the other circuit so i can bring my heated air down from the high cieling space. i also have a seperate garage door opener receptacle.

i have a 240/30 amp circuit for my dayton electric heater and a 240/30 amp circuit for the radiant floor heater, a dedicated 240/50 amp welding circuit.

low voltage....each corner has low voltage boxes with speaker wire run to it and i have coaxial tv cable in three different locations as well as cat 5 also in three different locations.....

the outside siding gets finished today and the 48 sheets of dry wall got delivered today , luckily my college age son is around until Jan 9 so we should be kicking ass over the next two weeks we have about half of the insulation finished.....pictures to follow

big2bird
12-31-2008, 03:56 PM

i have (2) 20 amp GFI receptacle circuits spaced on every other stud....A,B,A,B... on two of the walls and (1) 20 amp GFI on the third wall with receptacles on every other stud. i also placed receptacles in each corner of the garage mounted high at the 10' level, and then again 2 more at the 14' level at the ridge ends, the interior light circuit has 18 receptacles on 3 switches so i can control different lighting configurations. i will use 4' shop lights with plugs on two of the light circuits and i will mount a remote controlled cieling fan on the other circuit so i can bring my heated air down from the high cieling space. i also have a seperate garage door opener receptacle.

i have a 240/30 amp circuit for my dayton electric heater and a 240/30 amp circuit for the radiant floor heater, a dedicated 240/50 amp welding circuit.

low voltage....each corner has low voltage boxes with speaker wire run to it and i have coaxial tv cable in three different locations as well as cat 5 also in three different locations.....

Sounds very well thought out. Compresor?

12-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Sounds very well thought out. Compresor?

220 for exhaust fan and shutter, future lift.
Interior hose bibs. :waxer:

mrvette
12-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Bag it, do what my northern garage had....220/100 amp service, stick in a panel and have at it.....I ran it off the house panel with a 100 amp breaker in it.....now the house panel was only 200 amp 30 ckt SqD, but the total use at any one time would be only 100 amps at most...figger the house was a/c, but all the other loads were nat gas....even the dryer....so max use there for the hvac at 40 amps, then rest of the house lucky to do another 30, plenty good.....

the underground conduit was pulled with copper OMG wire.....

stands for Oh My God, that wire is thick and heavy....:twitch:

:stirpot:

bobs77vet
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
oops how could i forget to mention the 240/30 amp circuit for the compressor.....

the house has 400 amp service, the floor has rebar in it and it has a 1' grid pattern for the the future lift and i will just add a circuit for this when i get the lift, i couldn't afford to bring water out to the garage so the hose bib on the house will just have to do for this. i didn't do any exhaust fans because we are just in too much of a residential area

mrvette
12-31-2008, 06:42 PM
oops how could i forget to mention the 240/30 amp circuit for the compressor.....

KEEP going man, we going to have you stick yet another meter in from the street with a 200 amp wire, and another electric bill.....that a ways' you wife knows what cars REALLY cost......:hissyfit::hunter::smash:

bobs77vet
12-31-2008, 10:16 PM

big2bird
12-31-2008, 10:32 PM

KEEP going man, we going to have you stick yet another meter in from the street with a 200 amp wire, and another electric bill.....that a ways' you wife knows what cars REALLY cost......:hissyfit::hunter::smash:

With all but zero exceptions, (There are a few), residential units get one service/meter. A garge needs to have a sub from that service, or vica versa.

big2bird
12-31-2008, 10:33 PM

Man that's sweet Bob. Now if you could only get rid of that frozen white shit...................

mrvette
12-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok there, a LOT of that exterior layout reminds me of my old place in Kensington/Aspen Hill/Wheaton just up the road from you.....even the rear dormer kickout on the roofline there....your house is much larger, mine being only a cape, but the overall layout is similar....

:bump:

bobs77vet
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
well i didn't get nearly as much done as i wanted to today, by the time i got every thing set up and added some insulation, the box for the hanging cieling fan and got the keys from the builder for the trailer that had my staple hammer locked up in it (accidentally) and had to go buy some staples it was late before i even started the real work..but nonethe less i still got 4 sheets of drywall up....i will start again tomorrow night......

bobs77vet
01-05-2009, 02:38 AM
well the dry wall is about 98% done i figure we still have about 60 square feet left to do just some easy odds and ends .....my back is toast.....my two boys were on the 8' scaffolding and we did not use a drywall jack for the cieling, just a cleat that we screwed into hold the bottom of each piece...so i handed them each piece of dry wall......the two walls on the property line were 5/8 fire rated and the rest was 1/2...over all about 48 pieces of drywall all 8' long.....i need some more advil......

mrvette
01-05-2009, 03:15 AM
well the dry wall is about 98% done i figure we still have about 60 square feet left to do just some easy odds and ends .....my back is toast.....my two boys were on the 8' scaffolding and we did not use a drywall jack for the cieling, just a cleat that we screwed into hold the bottom of each piece...so i handed them each piece of dry wall......the two walls on the property line were 5/8 fire rated and the rest was 1/2...over all about 48 pieces of drywall all 8' long.....i need some more advil......

U obviously a youngster....not ME, no more, I good for maybe Zero sheets at 8' ceiling height, I paid my wife's nephew to hang/finish the ceiling in the l/rm-hallway.....you must be age 40 something.....

:goodnight:

bobs77vet
01-09-2009, 03:27 AM

U obviously a youngster....not ME, no more, I good for maybe Zero sheets at 8' ceiling height, I paid my wife's nephew to hang/finish the ceiling in the l/rm-hallway.....you must be age 40 something.....

:goodnight:

51....and yes my back is still hurting

big2bird
01-09-2009, 06:12 AM
The taping is almost as much fun.:bonkers:

mrvette
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
The taping is almost as much fun.:bonkers:

Nah, taping is easy, that damn lifting is what bugs my skeleton....

bobs77vet
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
well all the drywall is up except around the panel box and i think i will not make that a permanent peice so i will have the ability to remove that piece if i want to add additional circuits, all the seams have at least one application of joint compound and have been taped, now i just need to do the finish work on the seams... i should be able to knock that out pretty well this weekend .

big2bird
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
well all the drywall is up except around the panel box and i think i will not make that a permanent peice so i will have the ability to remove that piece if i want to add additional circuits, all the seams have at least one application of joint compound and have been taped, now i just need to do the finish work on the seams... i should be able to knock that out pretty well this weekend .

Either install an empty 1" flex up the wall, or install a couple 1" "telephone elbows," then mud her up. You can access these later for additional circuits. We call them "futures."

mrvette
01-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Either install an empty 1" flex up the wall, or install a couple 1" "telephone elbows," then mud her up. You can access these later for additional circuits. We call them "futures."

That is too much like planning ahead....I never thought to do that....:shocking:

the Prev owner on my house had 1/2 ply screwed in above the box, and under it too, just for all the wiring....when I took it out and put in a 30 ckt panel, and cleaned up some of the kludge work done over the years, I then left openings above for 2-3 more wires, but in fact this house is so overwired NOW, so I went and sealed it up sheetrock when moving the wall and redoing the kitchen about 4 years ago....

:beer:

bobs77vet
01-13-2009, 09:25 PM

thats a good idea, right now i have that piece just screwed in but after i move into it and get the compressor squared away i just may do that. well all the joints have at least two coats of goop on them and i will keep after the seams until thursday and then i will paint it on friday night with a sealer and be done with it, saturday i will put in the receptacles and sunday start moving my tools and boxes out there. and the vette will finally be out of the street.....

bobs77vet
01-14-2009, 02:44 AM
heres where we stand.....well actually i am sitting having a bud all american ale...its quite tasty maybe i will have another

heres the new door, you would have thought it was made of gold for what it cost....

the garage door opener is that small box in the corner and it is driven by a 24volt motor

hey big bird do you think i have enough receptacle boxes.....

bobs77vet
01-17-2009, 03:50 AM
well its too cold to paint ....the 9* outside weather is slowing down the drywall compound from drying, so on to plan b.....i am putting in all of the receptacles......i did 18 receptacles all from the scaffolding this evening took about just under 3 hours....i just cant do it much faster then about 8 minutes a receptacle, what slows me up is making the shunt for the ground wire and twisting the grounds together.....i even looked for those pre made ground wires but couln't find any.....so the plan is to finish receptacles and then on to the paint. my propane heater also seems to put off alot of moisture into the garage i'm sure thats not helping any.....i cant wait to get my stuff out of storage so i can get my nice dry electric heat going again.

mrvette
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM
My garage up there had a 140? thousand BTU whole house furnace on it, not long before selling the place I finally switched it to nat gas from the house....it had been propane...it had ceiling ducts run through two of the 3 bays....the 3rd was done with electric base board heat, as it had a Lionel train setup in it, something I built with the kids....sealed in the whole bay....

but that furnace really heated up the joint very quickly, man, what a blast....and of course the moisture problem was not there....

had a window unit buried in the back wall for a/c.....

:drink:

bobs77vet
01-18-2009, 04:52 AM
wow that sounds like alot of heat......i had to buy another electric heater tonight the propane is just causing too much moisture and the joint compound is not drying.....i bought a fahrenheat 20a /240 volt 14,000 btu thermostatically controlled unit and mounted it on the back wall, i hated to buy it because i already have one but i can't paint unless i can dry out the seams and control the moisture.....well it turned out that there was 48 receptacles to put in...and im glad they are all done my fingers are worn out although i did get the per unit install time down quite a bit towards the end. hopefully the oldest son will come back from college tomorrow and help me paint it tomorrow....

big2bird
01-18-2009, 06:01 AM
wow that sounds like alot of heat......i had to buy another electric heater tonight the propane is just causing too much moisture and the joint compound is not drying.....i bought a fahrenheat 20a /240 volt 14,000 btu thermostatically controlled unit and mounted it on the back wall, i hated to buy it because i already have one but i can't paint unless i can dry out the seams and control the moisture.....well it turned out that there was 48 receptacles to put in...and im glad they are all done my fingers are worn out although i did get the per unit install time down quite a bit towards the end. hopefully the oldest son will come back from college tomorrow and help me paint it tomorrow....

48?I don't think I have 48 in my whole house.:rofl:

Jclgodale3
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
well it turned out that there was 48 receptacles to put in...
WOW! I take it you hate extension cords too?

01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
well it turned out that there was 48 receptacles to put in...
WOW! I take it you hate extension cords too?

That's a bunch

How many breakers are there???

mrvette
01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
I hate admitting to be such a piggy, but TimAT has seen my garage, and lemme tell you it's a mess, electrical and so forth...

I run the whole shot off cut up/spliced in open wire nutz extension cords, all hung out in the air below the sheetrock....some of them hang down lower than 7' even.....but the heavy cords are plugged into 30 amp circuits...and wire...

I love NO BLO circuits, I may fry a extension...like I CARE...

God I can be lazy....:shocking::p:beer:

Jclgodale3
01-19-2009, 03:42 AM
I thought mine was over kill when I built it. 1 receptacle every 5 feet:(

bobs77vet
01-23-2009, 05:48 AM
well i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the work crew kicked ass over the holiday weekend and its all painted and the old maple kitchen cabinets are hung and about 2/3 of the garage stuff that was in the basement is now in the garage, i put in the cieling fan tonight and three shop lights, the scaffolding hits the one month mark tomorrow and will be returned, i still have two shops lights to put in tomorrow and the rest will wait until i get the rest of my households goods out of storage since i have shop lights in there from my previous house.

i have three 20 amp GFI circuits for the 32 wall receptacles and 1 15amp circuit for the light receptacles in the cieling, 1 240v 30 amp for the electric heater, 1 240 30 amp for the compressor, 1 240v 30 amp for the hot water heater, 1 240v 50 amp for the welder

i took tomorrow off and i plan to spend the next three days putting up shelving and setting up the garage, i'll get some pictures posted after i get the scaffolding down

C6Z51
01-23-2009, 07:32 AM
well i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congratulations on your new home :drink:

mrvette
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
well i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the work crew kicked ass over the holiday weekend and its all painted and the old maple kitchen cabinets are hung and about 2/3 of the garage stuff that was in the basement is now in the garage, i put in the cieling fan tonight and three shop lights, the scaffolding hits the one month mark tomorrow and will be returned, i still have two shops lights to put in tomorrow and the rest will wait until i get the rest of my households goods out of storage since i have shop lights in there from my previous house.

i have three 20 amp GFI circuits for the 32 wall receptacles and 1 15amp circuit for the light receptacles in the cieling, 1 240v 30 amp for the electric heater, 1 240 30 amp for the compressor, 1 240v 30 amp for the hot water heater, 1 240v 50 amp for the welder

i took tomorrow off and i plan to spend the next three days putting up shelving and setting up the garage, i'll get some pictures posted after i get the scaffolding down

UHHH....you forgot to mention the bed and bath, as after a trip to the MAN CAVE you don't really expect the little lady to let you into the boudoir DO YOU???

:amazed::crap::cussing:

bobs77vet
01-25-2009, 01:17 AM
well theres still lots to do but this is where i am so far. i need to put up more shelves, i guess thats tomorrows job....

big2bird
01-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Now how cool is that? Congrats Bob. Now, you need a new project.:rofl:

SmokinBBC
01-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Very Nice! Where do the fridge and big screen go?

Jclgodale3
01-25-2009, 05:32 AM
I have to admit...I never knew an overhead garage door could be installed like that. Do they just wind the tension spring a little tighter? That's cool and space saving

big2bird
01-25-2009, 05:56 AM
I have to admit...I never knew an overhead garage door could be installed like that. Do they just wind the tension spring a little tighter? That's cool and space saving

Correct...........

bobs77vet
02-09-2009, 02:45 AM
well fella's its been a long and tiring ride doing this renovation but tomorrow the rest of my stuff that has been in storage from the move from over a year ago is getting delivered......and then next week the hot rod will get flat bedded over from my brothers house.....we still have out side landscaping to do, and a drive way and front walk to the house, but at least the construction is over with i actually changed the oil in the vette on friday night in the garage and gave it a long over due polishing, i still have the Q jet Lars built for me to put on from yes 1.5 yrs ago...talk about delayed gratification......as soon as the rest of the stiuff from the movers is put away and the hot rod is squared away in the garage, i will order the bracketry i need for the 700r4 set up i have in the vette and do the swap from the 750 speed demon to the Q jet. this is mostly just for fun and to try something different i really dont go heavy enough on the gas pedal to use the speed demon to its fullest potential so i am hoping that the Qjet is a little more behaved at the lower RPms and hopefully doesnt smell so rich

Douglas Mariani
02-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Now how cool is that? Congrats Bob. Now, you need a new project.:rofl:

A lift would be nice for that new project.

bobs77vet
02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
i have run out of $$$$$$ for the lift, so it will have to be delayed

mrvette
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM

Correct...........

I have to talk to the GDoor joint, but that is one LONG muvva spring....got more twist than Chubby Checker....gotta be....IF that thing ever let's go, I would hate to be under that door...HAS to be some safety device/brake or that thing going clean through the slab on to China...some farmer over there think i'ts a HELL of a crop.....

serious....how/what are the safety stops/arrangements?? i never seen one like that...so curious....got any pix with a quick description???

:crutches::stirpot:

bobs77vet
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
i guess the motor is some sort of a mechanical stop, after all the spring is just to make it easier to open

mrvette
02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
i guess the motor is some sort of a mechanical stop, after all the spring is just to make it easier to open

I would think to ask the G Door company....I have worked on enough 'normal' 16-18' wide overhead doors to know they are HEAVY AS HELL, and when a 'normal' sping breaks, you can't open the door, if it's anything but just a thin metal shell, like mine with brace bars....all you can do to get a 2x4 on a fulcrum under the damn thing to lift it enough to do anything, if needed.....

I hesitate to rely on any mear opener for a safety stop....but I didn't design or do the install, just a word of caution so for the knowing....please do some investigation over it....maybe call the maker, see what they say....get it from horses' mouth.......I would not trust any mear installer on that one....:twitch::amazed:

bobs77vet
04-29-2009, 02:15 AM
time to wrap up the post.....we are very close to being done, i still have the parking pad to put in and a stone patio in front of the garage but that will be later after some garage time......

SmokinBBC
04-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Very Nice!!!!!

Didn't take long to fill up that garage.

mrvette
04-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Sweet, looks like dawgwood and cherry tree in front....

my house up there was on a street that was lined both sides with cherry trees that the whole street lit up like the memorials downtown....

:bounce:

bobs77vet
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
the garage did fill up fast and i need to go through it again and push stuff out that i dont need.....the trees are both dogwoods in the front, i was scared that they might not have made it through all the construction

MYBAD79
04-30-2009, 01:24 AM
Awesome Bob, congrats on the "new" home.