Tail light conversion

Years back I converted the tail lts on my 78 to the modular units & posted a pic on either DC or CAC.It was easy 4me cause I work on Tractor/Trailers. The units I used are just 1157 bulbs shock mounted in a sealed 4" plastic "unservicable" case,u have 2 change the entire unit. "Truck lite" is the manufacturer. I did have a member e-mail me for a how2. The only reason i can c for the conversion box is if ya want 2 use "LED" since thay dont draw as much, he could of had a problem with the turn signals,BTW,I'm not usen back up lts. I got the idea from the rear end view of my 85,i like the flat lts & wanted somethen diffrent opposed to them bubble jobs.
i did c your post on DC about the rear section you put "CORVETTE" in

Last edited:
I have LED's to put into the car but I need to convert one set of lamps to amber indicators to make it legal in Australia. I know it won't be there for a while yet but I may as well do it now while I have the arse end apart.

It'll look like this:
3549aad2353f2d7.jpg

it looks like the "converter" is there to separate brake signal from turn signal.

if it's its only purpose, you can do it without any converter.

here is a wiring diagram from the 82 shop manual
http://v8spirit.com.free.fr/corvette82/8a-26.jpg

you need to cut the white wire going from the brake pedal to the harmonica connector (directional switch).

then, the dark green and yellow wires will only be used for turn signal.

you will need to add a new wire (the red one on your diagram) for the brake lights. you need to connect it on the white wire you cut (pedal side).

Well cover me in chocolate...

...and throw me to the lesbians!! :amazed:

Sure surprised the hell out of me but my tail light mod works! The LED's I've used look good - I took some pics late today but they're too dark. I'll take a couple tomorrow and post them...

Here's a bit of a video. The lights are just sitting in the holes in the bumper and the bumper is held to the car with tape!

[ame]http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/billioo/?action=view&current=Apr262009-VID00099.flv[/ame]

Sorry about the jack hammer in the background - the jinglies were smashing up some concrete...

Last edited:
Hi saudivette,
I like those tail lights.
Just noticed,my indicactors/blinkers are the inside 2.
Dunno if it makes a difference though.
Thought I'd let you know.
CHEERS from FREEZING Melbourne
(it's snowing in the hills already)
Gav

Hi saudivette,
Gav

Global cooling is a bitch, happens once a year weather we like it or not....:shocking::pprrtt:

Hi saudivette,
Gav

Global cooling is a bitch, happens once a year weather we like it or not....:shocking::pprrtt:

Guess I should've said Melbourne Australia
(it's Autumn down here).I shouldn't really complain though,
It wasn't so long ago we had
47 degrees celsius (117F) THAT WAS HOT!!!!:sweat:.
CHEERS
GAV

Hi saudivette,
Gav
Thanks Gav. I dunno if there's a law saying where the lights should be positioned or not, I just thought that the further "outbard" they were, the more noticeable they'd be.
Have you got a pic of the back of yours? What sort of lights are you running?

We're not anywhere near summer yet and it was 33*C today (91.4*F). Hot enough but in summer we'll get temps of 56*C (133*F) :twitch:

Hey Wayne, hows that lesbian thing working out :nuts:
nice light set up you have there,and working.
we are flooding here,friggn raining all the time and Tornado's already :gurney: Just 3 weeks ago we had some snow and freezing rain :banghead:
the saying here in Missouri is,If you don't like the weather,hang around 10 minutes it will change.

we are flooding here,friggn raining all the time and Tornado's already :gurney: Just 3 weeks ago we had some snow and freezing rain :banghead:
the saying here in Missouri is,If you don't like the weather,hang around 10 minutes it will change.

Well I got the "covered in chocolate" thing down ok Kev but I can't any lesbians to have myself thrown at :blush:
Ha, you don't know how nice it was to see the lights work - I am definitely electraphobic and believe I could outdo anyone when it comes to messing up electrical jobs!
By the sound of your weather mate, you were lucky to get your car painted when you did. I can handle heat and dust but I don't like the thought of a tornado. Do you have a cellar?

Well I got the "covered in chocolate" thing down ok Kev but I can't any lesbians to have myself thrown at :blush:
Ha, you don't know how nice it was to see the lights work - I am definitely electraphobic and believe I could outdo anyone when it comes to messing up electrical jobs!
By the sound of your weather mate, you were lucky to get your car painted when you did. I can handle heat and dust but I don't like the thought of a tornado. Do you have a cellar?

Yea i have a basement,when those big twisters come around (and they do all too often) i go down there and hug my gun safe,that sucker ways a ton and is going no where.

Well, I prefer my bubbles but if the law requires you to have orange turn signals these LEDs look like a good option. Is it the video or do they look a little 'white' instead of bright red ??

straight girls are acceptable too :3rd::nuts::rofl:

Hi saudivette,
Gav
Thanks Gav. I dunno if there's a law saying where the lights should be positioned or not, I just thought that the further "outbard" they were, the more noticeable they'd be.
Have you got a pic of the back of yours? What sort of lights are you running?

We're not anywhere near summer yet and it was 33*C today (91.4*F). Hot enough but in summer we'll get temps of 56*C (133*F) :twitch:

Gooday mate,
56C Buggar me, that's too hot.
I'm running standard lenses but with Led globes.
I bought a set of globes with the Leds on top only but they didn't really show up that well (now they're on my ZZR1100)so I bought a set with leds on the top & side,
Much brighter. I've been looking at alot of car tail lights
(I'm a courier driver, so I see heaps)At the moment the ones I like are on a Kia truck :)chinese:!!!!!!!!!) 2 round brake lights and the 2 indicators are divide in half(blinker/reverse)which look pretty good & about the right size too.
I'll have to investigate further (I carry a small ruler with me
for just this reason. That's me excuse and I'm sticking with it:rofl:).
Have a good one mate,
I look forward to hearing of your progress.
Cheers for now,
Gav