recommended camber setting and gain for 5 link?

daveL82

I'm in the final process of aligning my 5 link system on my C3.

What would be the prefered rear camber setting with ride height set two inches from bump stop?

I have two lower strut rod mounts of the diff. One is the stock location that appears to give 2.5 degrees of gain and a lower one shat should give slightly less than 1 degree.

Which is the best location so that I have more or less camber gain to street and roadrace track day use?

My advise is to chose the lower camber gain!
With a 5-link you will have a good control of the wheel position in relation to the forces.... basically you have to look for a camber gain only able to compansate your body roll.

Remeber.... you need to keep the tire as perpenticular to the ground as you can in order to have the higer surface of contact between the rubber and the ground.

In this system the kind of tire have a very big influence.....
Do you have low profile tires?..... you need less camber gain!
Do you have high profile tires?..... you need more camber gain!

The only accurate system to verify if your camber is correct is to check the tire thread temperature in the classic three positions (in, out, middle).

The three temperatures should be very similar..... where in lower you need to put more force on the ground (changing camber as per consequence).

Just my two cents.... ;-)

Stroker - on the rear I run 18x12 rims with low profile Kuhmo rubber. Cornering speeds and forces are high on track days

I guess your 5-links have rod-ends...... right?

In this case there is plenty of wheel position control!

My opinion is to start with some 1° or less of negative camber.... then, with the help of a friend with a camera, try to evaluate your body roll (ok..... not your, but of the car... :-D).... and select your camber gain per consequence.

A temperature gauge for tires is the most helpfull thing for track days and races.

Remember that the even thread temperature is the only thing really giving infos regarding how your rubber is working on the track !!!!!

Do you have an idea of how toe-roll is in your setup?
This thing can influence your feeling in the corners.... more than a little wrong camber setting.

toe is via a separate toe link in parallel with the lower strut pickup points. This seems to keep toe in check very well. All links use rod ends.

I'm using a Longacre camber/caster gauge with magnetic foot that fits on the axle flange.

Heheheh..... me also!

This tool from Longacre is very usefull!

Buy the temperature gauge if you plan to be serious at the track.... for my opinion an average start point should be some -1° with low camber gain.

During the track days you may have some more base camber, but if your car is flat on corners... I should keep the lower gain option.

Anyway you should check the two different setup with ease, I think!

Depending on the tires, hoosier or Goodyears, bias or radials. I used these figures, camber .5 with bias to 1 hoosier radials, toe in 1/8. Tried all different toe setting, this was the setting that felt the best, during turn in and turn exit. Have you checked your toe change though the full range of motion?

Last edited:
confirmed no toe change over full range of suspension travel.

Ran into a problem though which we delay completion. One of my mounts does not give me enough tire clearance. I have half an inch but I want at least 1 inch. Should take me a few weeks to address.

confirmed no toe change over full range of suspension travel.

Ran into a problem though which we delay completion. One of my mounts does not give me enough tire clearance. I have half an inch but I want at least 1 inch. Should take me a few weeks to address.

Good deal. Yes on the inch, would hate to cut a tire down.