Another bizarre body work question/poll...

How do I mount my Monza cap?

• Flat plate over the original door opening & mount cap to that?

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Box in the opening with a flat floor and mount the cap to that?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Some other idea that I haven't thought of - please explain.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I'll probably get flamed for this one, but I have pretty broad shoulders so I should be able to handle it. Plus, this was a Christmas gift from my betrothed :twitch:

I am going to fit a Monza style cap to my 82. I haven't seen another late model C3 with this done to it so I'm making it up as I go along here. As I see it, I have two ways of mounting this cap:

1. Make a mounting plate slightly larger than the original fuel door opening, fix the plate to the car and mount the cap to that plate:
3549e250bbd897c.jpg

3549e250bcc29c2.jpg

2. Box in the opening so that it has a flat "floor" and attach the cap to that. Down side here would be the permanence of it - difficult to ever remove the sender unit:
3549e250bd747c9.jpg

3549e250be63692.jpg

Last edited:
So you got broad shoulders and your flame suit on? Well, I don't think you need to worry..I like the Monza style.

I like the first mount a little better. But I think they are both ok. In either case you might think about filling in the finger indent.

Due to the angle of the rear deck I would say that the second option is better in my opinion. Almost looks like the recession was designed for Monza cap.

I like the second idea as well. :thumbs:

I'm even more impressed with your Photoshop skills.....
I've had CS2 on my computer for quite some time now
and I still can't do half the things I see you doing with it.

The inset looks great, also shows talent with skills instead of a bolt on.

You thought of it do it.

Michael.

I liked the thought of recessing it but was worried if I ever need to get the sender unit out of the tank. I can't think of a way to recess it without making the recess permanent. Any ideas...?

I like the second idea as well. :thumbs:

I'm even more impressed with your Photoshop skills.....
I've had CS2 on my computer for quite some time now
and I still can't do half the things I see you doing with it.
Thanks John but I've been messing with Photoshop for probably 12 years or more. Any time you want something photochopped just let me know mate, I don't mind helping out :thumbs:

I agree with the recessed look too, mucho better, BUT

much more problem to keep CLEAN.....the other one is a single swipe with a towel and case closed....

name your poison....

:stirpot:

I started doing this last weekend but then ducked off to London for a few days so it went on hold. I got a fair bit done today though. I also changed my mind a little on what I was going to do - compare a photochop to the mockups below...

I had to cut out the part of the upper deck that holds the gas filler "pocket"
354a0197b628445.jpg

I found a saucepan that was a damn close fit to the size I needed so I laid up some glass inside the saucepan and turned this out:
354a0197b6eb982.jpg
354a0197b796222.jpg

I cut it in half:
354a0197b848043.jpg

And rejoined it by putting some more glass on what will be the underside:
354a0197b919a1a.jpg

I had to enlarge the hole a little until my piece sat in there then I marked it and cut it out:
354a0197b9ee090.jpg
354a0197ba9fe94.jpg
354a0197bb60705.jpg
354a0197bc24188.jpg

I've just "re-surfaced" the side that will be uppermost with some gelcoat so that I can rub that down and make it all level etc before I attach it to the car.

I would have sunk in the whole thing, IMO that first step up will look horrible.

This would be my choice:
3549e250bd747c9.jpg

Wayne, I mean this sincerely.....IF I was owning/running a company YOU would be the first SOB I would run down for the productivity/creative thinking department......

parts of you are VERY smart....that is freeking beautiful......

would you come here and finish my car for me???

:2nd::lol::lol::stirpot:

I would have sunk in the whole thing, IMO that first step up will look horrible.
I hear you TT but doing that would have left very little room to be able to connect the Monza cap to the filler neck.

Wayne, I mean this sincerely.....IF I was owning/running a company YOU would be the first SOB I would run down for the productivity/creative thinking department......

parts of you are VERY smart....that is freeking beautiful......

would you come here and finish my car for me???

:2nd::lol::lol::stirpot:
Thanks Gene, I appreciate your compliment mate. Heheh, I'd LOVE to have a job getting paid to think up stuff like that! That'd sure beat the crap out of doing engine changes on a 40 year old aircraft :lol:

If I was close to you Gene, I'd come help you mate :thumbs:

That's ok, I can't afford your rate, even 40 y/o aircraft are worth more than this vette by a factor of 100000-1, or better....

someone's gotta keep the war effort going, even if USA backs out....

:rain::rose:

are you going to be able to get at the pump from up top?? don't look like it....

Got your share of troubles on that connection NOW....ouch...obviously something is cut and modified.....maybe de both of dem (Chicago accent).....

Lid looks really close to the body there, when open....hard to see from that perspective....

:smash:

I like the look Wayne :1st: and that connection,a little cutting on the neck from the filler and some hose and clamps and all done.

Time for a bit of an update. I mounted the "insert" permanently a few days ago and although I thought the cap looked good on it's own, I also thought an aluminium plate underneath it might look better.

Behold...

Cap on it's own:
354a1d6206d7be1.jpg

354a1d6207b0af7.jpg

Aluminium plate underneath the cap:
354a1d62062a652.jpg

354a1d620573a17.jpg

I ended up sinking the "insert in a little lower than the first pics too. It's a little hard to see in this pic but there's still a bit of the "trailing edge" sitting proud of the rear deck.
354a1d6204739de.jpg

I also cut the tube off the cap and had it welded back on at a nice angle for it to mate up to the tank...

Looks Good :thumbs:

But personally I think the added plate is "too much".