460lbs coil springs - a warning

MYBAD79

Here's what I ended up with in 2004:

13b48ac6.jpg

I installed these coils three times and yes, they were seated correctly.... the 550's are much better :D:sweat:

Same car with 550 lbs springs - I installed them... that confirms that I know how to install springs correctly and the 460's were installed correctly ....

de854acc.jpg

much better I think (some might prefer the 4x4 look) :yahoo::cry::waxer:

I wonder if you got a set of incorrectly wound springs. I put 460 pound springs in my '69 several years ago. The car sat at a correct height, but it was too soft while running autocrosses. I then changed to 550 springs. They were a touch lower (ride height) than the 460s, but not by much. You've got me perplexed on why those springs didn't work out.

:noob: cut the coils............:clobbered:

In fact... I did..... but I still wasn't happy and then bit the bullet and bought new Bilstein shocks and 550lbs coils....
You know that feeling when you put all that work and time into a project and then it still feels like second best.... when you wonder how much better it would be with the stuff you should have bought in the first place ?? That's pretty much how I feel about Koni shocks... at the time they were $150 more than the Bilstein HDs... I am very happy with Bilstein but the curiousity is killing me... how much better are the Konis ?? I'll most likely end up with Koni coilovers one day....

Bottom line: don't settle for second best, it's going to cost you more in the end.... time and money....

I wonder if you got a set of incorrectly wound springs. I put 460 pound springs in my '69 several years ago. The car sat at a correct height, but it was too soft while running autocrosses. I then changed to 550 springs. They were a touch lower (ride height) than the 460s, but not by much. You've got me perplexed on why those springs didn't work out.

I've heard that sometimes it's a hit and miss..... definitely I didn't hit much but missed a lot :lol:
These pics are old but on both pics it's the same tire size: 255-60 front and 275-60 rear.

Same here. I have had the 460 lb springs on for 6 years. Car sits fine. (I have yet to autocross though)

3/4 ton BB truck coils are easier :D

I had to limit the down travel to make sure they don't fall out

Just goes to show, when the free lengths aren't really a proper match for the application you can end up with anything from MYBAD79's 4x4 look to Yellow73SB's issue where suspension travel has to be limited.

Yellow is using 3/4 ton truck coils, not the 460lbs "grand touring" VBP springs.

Crap, I hope I don't have this issue :sweat:

If your somewhere between 460 and 900 you'll be fine

If you have to cut the 460lbs coils to lower the front (like I did before I bought the 550lbs coils) flatten the end coil like it was originally - otherwise it can make some ugly noise... the 550s aren't really as uncomfortable as you might think. If you can, return the 460s and get the 550s instead ...oh shoot, you're in Canada... shipping and custom fees is probably more than the coils cost.... well, it seems to be a hit and miss, hopefully you're lucky

If you have to cut the 460lbs coils to lower the front (like I did before I bought the 550lbs coils) flatten the end coil like it was originally - otherwise it can make some ugly noise... the 550s aren't really as uncomfortable as you might think. If you can, return the 460s and get the 550s instead ...oh shoot, you're in Canada... shipping and custom fees is probably more than the coils cost.... well, it seems to be a hit and miss, hopefully you're lucky

I'm not pulling my front suspension part again...I promised myself I wouldn't:lol:. I'll try these springs out, and hopefully they will work. If not, I'll pull them out and install some 550's. I want the front end to be lower than the rear end. I'm going to be running large tires in the rear with a wide wheel base and flares.

:quote:Y'all and yer old tyme coil springs, damnit...just damnit :quote: :lol: :bounce:

3094msn.jpg

:1st::1st::1st:

it'll be interesting to see if you can pick a wheel off the ground. I almost did once.

I don't think it will. Maybe with stickier tires

x20080309xti%20265.jpg

knocking the green off some new tires at the airport,, a number of years ago.

BTW, the mud flaps flares are history.

corvette.jpg