Any video guys here?

Jsup

I have a Sony TRV 900 I've had for years. Well, the tapes have piled up.

I have three questions for you.

Remember, I'm a CONSUMER so keep that in mind, I don't do this professionally.

1. Is there such thing as a mini DV player that I can buy so I don't have to run my camera all the time to dump the video onto my PC. They all seem to be over $500

2. Can I buy a cheap/disposable Mini DV camera for $180 just to play my tapes onto the computer? Will that solution cause desegregation the picture from the Sony?

3. What CONSUMER software should I buy to edit down the tapes so I can dump them on DVD.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

I would say that a cheap camera is your best option.
All you are doing from minidv to hdisk is tranferring if using firewire, not copying, so there is no loss. If using usb and software, then there is a loss. Once on the hdisk you can do bunches with it.

The decent software is way, way too much money.
You can get good free or shareware progs that are really good, but you will have to use more of them for different steps/results.

Get ready for a long learning curve. I bet I read at least 100 hours before I made a dvd.
Here is the best site by far, these guys are really into it.

http://www.videohelp.com/

I would say that a cheap camera is your best option.
All you are doing from minidv to hdisk is tranferring if using firewire, not copying, so there is no loss. If using usb and software, then there is a loss. Once on the hdisk you can do bunches with it.

The decent software is way, way too much money.
You can get good free or shareware progs that are really good, but you will have to use more of them for different steps/results.

Get ready for a long learning curve. I bet I read at least 100 hours before I made a dvd.
Here is the best site by far, these guys are really into it.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Thanks. I'll look for the cheapest camera with firewire out. I am using firewire now for the transfer, but don't like putting all that wear and tear on the camera. I paid $2200 when I got it and it's still a $1500 camera. So I don't want to over use it unnecessarily.

I am doing a straight transfer, not copying. I think. What is the difference?

With firewire you are not going thru any translation software so you are getting the full digital raw avi varient file that the camera recorded.
There will never be a better quality movie, that is why the file size is so huge. Everything, including dvd is downhill from there, but still more than acceptable.

That is the downside of the newer dvd disk cameras, the recording is of lesser quality to be able to fit on the disks.

I've got an older Sony camera too and wouldn't trade it for anything.
It has a lens that is outlawed now, but suppossedly with a 20 dollar filter it will remove people's clothing. Have never tried it, but have seen captures of it done. :sweat:

I've got an older Sony camera too and wouldn't trade it for anything.
It has a lens that is outlawed now, but suppossedly with a 20 dollar filter it will remove people's clothing. Have never tried it, but have seen captures of it done. :sweat:

Thanks. I'd have to see that to believe it!!!!:lol:

Here is a quote that explains it.
Apparently you can have the newer cameras modified back.

The unfulfilled dream of x-ray vision remains a compelling fantasy, adolescent or otherwise, as proven by a recent maelstrom of interest in a particular consumer electronics product. In a manner said to be completely unintended by its manufacturers, a Sony camcorder equipped with an infrared night vision function can apparently see through clothing.

That's one step better than x-ray specs, kids, since you get everything down on tape for later...and Sony should have seen what they were missing -- which was the strange things that might happen if someone used the NightShot feature in broad daylight. Sony must have assumed, logically enough, that people would only have need for infrared illumination at night.

But it's bad business to count on consumers being logical. In a discovery that was first publicized by a Japanese men's magazine, it so happens that in a well-lit setting, in certain instances, a NightShot camera can seem to penetrate fabric, revealing the underwear of fully clothed individuals, or making people in swimwear appear virtually naked. Of course, the NightShot is only a harbinger of the prurient progress that tomorrow holds in store. Sony may not have intended to design a camera that turns people naked, but you better believe somebody else eventually will. Newsweek(1999)

All currently manufactured Sony camcorders will shoot a white washed-out picture in daylight situations when in Niteshot mode without an IR filter! For a brief period a few years ago, some Sony handycams/handicams could shoot in daylight when in 0-Lux Niteshot mode. Then, some users discovered the ability to see through some fabrics in certain situations (The infamous X-Ray effect). When Sony found out, they changed the camcorders so that when you are in Niteshot mode, the aperture is forced to full open and slow shutter speed. The result is that if you try shooting in daylight situations when in Niteshot mode, your picture will be completely washed-out and overexposed. Further, even if you use neutral density filters to compensate, the depth of field is very shallow meaning that your focus will only be correct in a narrow range. Also, the slow shutter speed will blur moving objects.

Don't be mislead by others selling normal camcorders with the Niteshot feature. Unless the camcorder has been re-enabled, the you may not be able to shoot outdoors in Niteshot mode will be with the addition of neutral density filters depending on the light and your particular model camera. Make sure when somebody tells you the camcorder is "modified" that you understand if it was modified to shoot Niteshot during the day or modified by Sony NOT to shoot during the day!

Modified Cameras:

These camcorders retain full functionality in regular mode and looks absolutely identical to the normal camcorder meaning you can use this just like a normal camcorder in regular situations. However, when you want to shoot in Niteshot mode, you just move the Niteshot switch, and the camera shoots in Niteshot mode in daylight with aperture and shutter control turned on in full automatic! When in Niteshot mode, this camera does not turn on the invisible Niteshot illuminator.

Sony Modification - Concerned about negative publicity associated with the so-called X-ray effect, Sony disabled daylight infrared recording on its entire product line permanently beginning in 1999.

It did so by disabling aperture control while in NightShot mode (effectively setting the aperture to wide open, which rendered infrared recording in daylight impossible due to over-saturation of the CCD and complete whiting-out of the image). However, the very few Sony NightShot CCD-TRV65 video cameras which were manufactured in 1998 have full aperture control making it the only outstanding daytime infrared recording camera, making it a true collectors item.

TSA is getting naked view full Xray scanners for people to walk through....

I have a 20 y/o VHS of my daughter on water skis and a near accident....I need to get it on DVD....I have a VHS player, and I suppose I can just plug it into the DVDWR....NO???

:huh:

i'ts about the only thing I would ever bother to copy into permanent form....

Vhs is analogue so it has to be converted to digital first.
If you have a dvdr setop box with analogue input it should work.
Satellite and cable companies supply them too with built in hdrives.
Or borrow a minidv camera with "Passthru" capabilties.

Or a Capture video card for computor like an "All in Wonder"

Or find a video nut kid that's into it or even go to a vid store and have it done for cheap if it's a 1 shot deal.

Vhs is analogue so it has to be converted to digital first.
If you have a dvdr setop box with analogue input it should work.
Satellite and cable companies supply them too with built in hdrives.
Or borrow a minidv camera with "Passthru" capabilties.

Or a Capture video card for computor like an "All in Wonder"

Or find a video nut kid that's into it or even go to a vid store and have it done for cheap if it's a 1 shot deal.

All in Wonder is a great card for this kind of stuff. Been around forever, and has a great reputation.

TSA is getting naked view full Xray scanners for people to walk through....

I have a 20 y/o VHS of my daughter on water skis and a near accident....I need to get it on DVD....I have a VHS player, and I suppose I can just plug it into the DVDWR....NO???
:huh:

i'ts about the only thing I would ever bother to copy into permanent form....

Was in a Wallgreens yesterday getting a couple prints made and saw that they do this. Don't know the price.

They're like ants here, on almost every street corner.

You need a dazzle!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/image/198089/index.html?cat=15

I have been using a 8MM camcorder for in car video and use the dazzle to transfer the video to the computer and edit it. I have also taken all the old VHS tapes from drag racing years ago and broke them down into each run being a VID. There are many different variations of the Dazzle depending on how mutch editing you want to do. We bought the cheapest one they had (40 bucks?) and found some editing software on the net to download.