82 Tank Sender Unit

I want to get a new gas tank sender unit for my 82 and see that there's 78 - 81 types and then 82. What's the difference between the 81 and 82 tank sender unit?

82 has the pump hung on the sender. What's wrong with yours? bouncy needle?

No, I want to modify the filler neck and thought I'd buy a second one before I started messing with it.

I no longer have the Crossfire so can I get away with an 81 sender unit? They're quite a bit cheaper than the 82 unit...

No, I want to modify the filler neck and thought I'd buy a second one before I started messing with it.

I no longer have the Crossfire so can I get away with an 81 sender unit? They're quite a bit cheaper than the 82 unit...

I still have my old one. You can use the 81 setup if you don't use an in tank pump, in fact, if you don't use an in tank pump you'll need to replace the stock pump with a length of hose to be able to suck past about 2/3 full tank.

I assume the in tank pump works as I can hear a ticking noise from the arse end when I turn the key on. I have the standard mechanical pump on the engine though and everything seems to run ok...

Yes, but if your in tank pump is still there you're sucking through it, not such a good idea. Better would be to keep the in tank pump and run it off a timed relay switched by ignition (priming the fuel pump) and constant feeding it off the oil pressure switch. You have the oil pressure switch on the back iof the engine, the big black thing with rubber boot. Also provides signal for the oil press. gauge.

Then you can regulate the fuel pressure down and use the stock return line, always plenty of cool fuel, no vapor lock ever.

Yes, but if your in tank pump is still there you're sucking through it, not such a good idea. Better would be to keep the in tank pump and run it off a timed relay switched by ignition (priming the fuel pump) and constant feeding it off the oil pressure switch. You have the oil pressure switch on the back iof the engine, the big black thing with rubber boot. Also provides signal for the oil press. gauge.

Then you can regulate the fuel pressure down and use the stock return line, always plenty of cool fuel, no vapor lock ever.

Ok gotcha, ta mate :thumbs: